“Had to experience this new resort”

Paradise Cove Resort
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This is a hard review to write such a beautiful resort in a lovely location but with a few negatives. We chose to use the Yasawa Flyer for our transfers as we were continuing further up the Yasawa chain after our 4 night stay. First impressions of the resorts are a wow! You are taken ashore and greeted with a Fijian welcome song, escorted up the beach and onto the deck by the pool, lovely pool, bar to one side and the magnificent, huge dining area behind, very impressive. Checked in and taken to a garden bure which are at the back of the resort, these are duplex units, similar to a larger size motel room, well appointed, en-suite with an out door shower. King bed which was very, very comfortable. The gardens around the bure are a work in progress I hope as we looked out onto a timber fence, the outside patio is quite small. The food was very good but it is a bit spicy so I did have to watch what I ordered. The staff were fantastic, friendly and well trained.
The resort is a work in progress and the special rates reflect this. Personally I would not want to pay much more for the garden rooms. Beachfront would be my choice but these were not available when I booked.
Unfortunately we did not have the best weather, not the resorts fault. It is quite exposed to some of the winds that Fiji experiences at certain times of the year making sitting on the beach uncomfortable so it was either sit in our room or in the dining area out of the wind. The pool too is protected but this area was taken over by young families with preschoolers and infants and as some of these little ones were not wearing protective swim nappies I wouldn't have fancied getting in it anyway, shame as the pool is lovely. Several other couples voiced the same concerns and older children were jumping in the pool and it got pretty noisy at times so our room was pretty much the only place we could retreat to. With Octopus resort not far away and Blue Lagoon further up the chain also taking children I am suprised that Paradise Cove is not a child free resort, so many older travelers prefer this or at least have an adults only pool. Hopefully this will be the case in future plans. The kids club generates a lot of noise, with kids being kids, running around playing and screaming of an afternoon, we have grandchildren and are not anti kids, again this was something commented on by fellow child free guests.. This affected quite a lot of the accommodations and some people like an afternoon nap.
Unfortunately it rained and while the outdoor shower in the rain was fine as the weather was warm it might not be so good on a cold wet day, also with the direction of the wind the rain was blown halfway up the bathroom floor so bit of a shock getting up at night to use the loo to find yourself walking in water.
I am trying to be constructive in my criticism as overall it is a beautiful resort, with amazing staff, I have rated it high because of the positives. I hope it does not get too big and become impersonal.

Room Tip: Go beachfront if you can afford it or a 2 bed garden room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HOOKED ON FIJI
nw00dy, General Manager at Paradise Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Thank you for your review we do appreciate the feedback, ironically we have ready to install some weather curtains for the bungalows out door showers, which are going in this week, as in the rainy season, the open air showers can get a little wet occasionally, so we do apologize that they were not yet installed for your stay, unfortunately the season came early this year, and caught us a little by surprise .The unfortunate weather during your stay was the "welcome to the season change".

The weather effected the whole of Fiji for nearly 10 days and generally the property does not have extended periods of bad or windy weather.

The issue with children in the pool without correct waterproof nappies will be addressed immediately, we have this policy in place at our other two hotels, and this is a matter of immediate further staff education.

We are a child friendly resort, and this will not change, however the new rooms to be built to the left of the pool will be couples only so this part of the beach will be for adults, and the families will stay on the right hand side which is where the kids club is located.

We have no plans to make it too big or impersonal.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

What an amazing island. We are two young people and decided to include fiji on our trip. The welcome we got was amazing, they greet u at the boat playing guitars and singing. The weather was VERY windy during our stay which meant things like movie night was cancelled. We loved the people here on the island. There so friendly. Sunya ( if i am spelling correctly) was such a gentleman, always helpful and just a good laugh! Ten out of ten!! The rooms were lovely. We stayed in the garden bungalow. I was disapointed with a few things. The internet on ipads and tv was very slow, sometimes it would never load! The shampoo and conditioners were not replaced. In all hotels i have ever been to they have done this. Towels i felt should also be replaced even every 2 days as they were often damp when we wanted to use them. Overall the people, the ceremony, the kava and mingling with the fijians made our trip and meeting other people staying at the resort. The island is amazing but i think the resort itself needs to make a few changes. Charging u for lunch on the last day when youve to wait til 3 for your boat back is a bit sad in my opinion. Very relaxing place though! Well miss the fijian people!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Worldbabies
nw00dy, General Manager at Paradise Cove Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you very much for reviewing Paradise Cove. And we do agree the staff that work here are amazing and this is a big part of a Fiji holiday experience, we have passed on your regards to Sunia, who is a very popular member of staff.

I do apologize that your towels were not replaced to your liking, if towels are re-hung on the towel rails they are replaced every few days, if left on the the floor they are replaced that day, i am sorry that was not made clear enough. The replacement of shampoo's and amenities is something that should happen, and we have discussed this matter with the housekeepers to reinforce this, and we recently put a structure in place to double check this is happening at all times.

Unfortunately we do not offer free meals, our meal plans are based on a breakfast, lunch and dinner in 24 hour period, if you have lunch on the day of check in then on the day of check out you need to pay for this extra meal provided, if however you did not have lunch on the day of arrival then lunch on the day of check out is included.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our group comprised myself, husband, 13 year old twins and Grandma. We all rate the resort 10 out of 10 and will certainly be back. The atmosphere is so peaceful and relaxing. We have been to the islands numerous times, and to feel special and spoiled this is the place to be. A lovely touch starts on arrival. Following welcome onto beach you are led up to the bar area and given a drink and introduced to staff and the resort. No wait in the reception lobby and give us your credit card, which was so refreshing.
Strikes the right balance between and an upmarket resort and a really relaxing, chilled resort. The food is outstanding. The boys caught A big Spanish mackerel game fishing and the chef cooked it 3 ways for a group of us for lunch. Superb.
We had Grandma with us and the staff were amazing, and so helpful in making sure she was always happy and cared for.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NZLucy
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My friend and I stayed for 7 nights in Paradise Cove and it was very hard to leave. Everything was perfect to us - we stayed in a garden bungalow which was comfortable, clean and perfect with a beautiful open air shower. The beach was idyllic, the water crystal and perfect, the food was excellent, the activities varied and either free or very well priced, like snorkelling, kayaking, cooking class, jewellery making, basket weaving, bush walking - something for everyone. I spent a lot of time in the hammocks, in the beach chairs, in the ocean and wandering along the beach fossicking for shells. The pool was very inviting but I couldn't choose that over the beach! It's a beautiful, quiet, relaxed, intimate resort where you get to know other guests and the staff - and I really, really hope it stays this way. It's a pretty special place.

We went in mid October and had mostly great weather, though it was often gusty in the afternoons and evenings but not cold. The meal package is excellent value, with a really good continental breakfast with the option to have eggs, a delicious and extensive lunch menu and three course dinner that was excellent every night. There's no shop on the island but the office has a few things for sale, like toiletries, and you can get water bottles refilled for free at the bar. The only thing I'd do differently next time is to come in by sea plane! We saw plenty come and go and this looks like a great way to get to the island. We came in by boat from Nadi which was fine but rough in choppy seas. We went back on the island hopping 'flyer' to Denarau and this was a really nice way to finish off.

Absolutely the best part of Paradise Cove is the people who work there. I felt so welcome and so looked after by everyone - the restaurant staff, the chefs, the activity people, the porters, cleaners, bar tenders, office staff - everyone was warm and friendly, they knew my name and went out of their way to make our stay wonderful. Oh - Sunset Point on this island didn't offer much of a view on the sunset! So a big thank you to Elvis for coming to the top of the island with us to see it.

Room Tip: The garden bungalow may be the cheaper option but it's excellent. No beach view but it's spa...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Leanne H
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This resort is worth the money!!! It could not have been any better! It is brand new and beautiful! We stayed here for four nights on our honeymoon and were completely devastated to leave. When we got to our next island we called to see if we could return....it was that amazing. The accommodations we fantastic. The food was the best we had on our entire trip. The staff were friendly and seemed to enjoy the time they spent with each visitor. The highlight of our entire trip was swimming with the manta rays here- they were beautiful. The activities here were extremely reasonably priced and the food plan is totally worth it!! This island could not have been any better and the assistant manager, Tim, goes above and beyond! We had a lobster dinner on the beach and the lobster was the biggest thing I have ever seen!! We just had such a wonderful stay and wish we could return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and I had 5 nights. We travelled out by resort boat which is great for young couples, families with older kids. Wouldnt travel on it with young kids. It only took 1 hour and 15minutes which is great. We stayed in the beach front villa. The villas are amazing your own verandah with day beds great for a nap when you have had to much sun. Rooms are great spacious and beauitful. The outdoor bathrooms are amazing. The resort only has approx 40 rooms and is lovley and small there are plans to expand this hidden paradise so get in now.
The food is fantastic, breakie is ceral, toast and eggs cooked up fresh. Lunch there is approx 12 different things to choose from. Dinner is set 3 course menu, main gives you a choice between 2 dishes. There are set meal times which are well spaced and you are never left hungry. Staff are great friendly helpful very welcoming. There is plenty of activities to choose from, manta ray snorkel is a must. Small cost involed. Free snorkel trips are amazing to. There are a few questions about the coral out the front of the resort. There is plenty of fish life swim a bit further out and the coral is a lot better. There is some dead coral and shell on the beach which washed up from cyclone passing through a few years ago. So if you have little kids some type of reef walkers for there little feet woukd be handy, even for adults. I will also add that the wind comes up late in the afternoon and can get a bit fresh of the evening. Not cold enough for a jumper but a small cotton cardigan can come in handy. This is such an amazing place and I would definitely plan to go back In the future.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed October 16, 2013

A beautiful place and it felt like paradise. We stayed in the garden bungalows, beautiful room with a large outdoor bathroom. The staff was amazing. Everyone felt like family to me they knew my name and I knew their names I love the Fijian hospitality. Thanks to everyone there that made our trip so special Tim, Marica, Kirtesh, Mere, Loisi, Merrinni, Moses, Sunya, Joe, Bill, Lee, Mere, Sera, Reapi, Joe, Ron, Anna, Nailumi, and the list goes on and on... I know I'm forgetting quite a lot of you.

The resort was great. Food was nice, wifi everywhere, free use of ipads, snorkel, kayaks, paddle boards, and many different activities from snorkel trips to weaving. The manta ray trip was good but we didn't see any manta rays. School village visit was fantastic those kids were beautiful and loved to show off. Hand line fishing was fun though we didn't catch anything. Spend a day deep sea fishing with Rusi caught 3 large fish in 2 hours.

I really enjoyed how intimate the feel of the island with 50 or so guests. After talking to lots of guests and staff the plan is to expand. I'm really glad that I came now as I think the feeling of community will be lost once it becomes a large resort of 300+ people. Would highly recommend going to this resort.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 15 in Yasawa Islands
Octopus Resort
Octopus Resort
#1 of 3 in Waya Island

Been to Paradise Cove Resort? Share your experiences!