“Paradise in Paradise”

Paradise Cove Resort
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Our 20th trip to Fiji and definitely one of the best resorts we have stayed in.

Accommodation - excellent
Food - excellent.
Location - excellent.

And of course the staff - excellent.

There really wasn't anything we wanted for during our stay.

We got to swim with the Manta Rays and snorkelled a beautiful reef with abundant sea life and corals only a short boat trip from the resort.

Great beach-side and/or in room massages.

This place has really 'raised the bar' for outer island resorts.

The meal plan is excellent value for money.

We wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe Garden Bungalow which was extremely spacious and well appointed, had tea/coffe...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank AB_GC
There are newer reviews for Paradise Cove Resort

Reviewed September 8, 2013

A very new resort in a lovely location, with very good friendly service. The food was wonderful - we blame them for the extra weight we're carrying! The rooms are great, they've thought of everything. Technologically advanced with wifi throughout the resort, a good selection of movies, and mini iPads free to borrow complete with a good selection of books. Fabulous pool/bar/dining area. We didn't expect the snorkelling to be any good, but were pleasantly surprised by the number of fish to view, especially out from the dive shop (although there is a lot of dead coral). They also do free trips to other snorkelling spots.And we had a wonderful swim with manta rays. The beach is fairly 'corally' so best to take reef shoes. While they say they cater for all dietary needs, we did have problems initially communicating that one of us was gluten intolerant, even though we had advised them of this in advance. If it hadn't been for this this would have been a five star stay.
Sad to leave -go there now before they build more bures -it's just the right size at the moment.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden room as beach front rooms booked, but would have loved to have had a beach fro...
2  Thank carolbAuckland
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Paradise Cove Resort was my partner and I's first stop in Fiji & it certainly did not disappoint.
Do not fear the one and a half hour boat ride as when you arrive it is truly worth it. It was the most beautiful, picturesque resort I have been to and the staff, food and activities were all exceptional. You have the option of doing as much or as little as you like which will suit both couples and families superbly.

Daily they have a board with the activities offered, I would recommend doing the snorkelling trip, manta ray trip & yoga. The massage at the resort was amazing, ask for Reapi as she does a brilliant job on all 3 massages I had.

The food is beautiful and it was always a highlight seeing what was for dinner each night on our lunch time menu.

I would like to say a special thank to the boys at the bar as they were always friendly: villame or the bill "the conman", Jonasa & Sunia. Sunia went above and beyond and arranged three coconuts for me, even leaving one out the front of our villa :D

The only area of improvement for me would be the breakfast needs more hot options and if you are going I wouldn't recommend children if you get caught on the 3 hr boat ride we had back to the port as it was extremely choppy!!

Thank you so much for a beautiful stay! I'd also like to thank Dave the owner for always being approachable if we ever needed assistance.

3  Thank LilTravellar
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have recently returned from a 5 nights stay at Paradise Cove - we left wishing we could stay another 5 nights.

We caught the Yasawa flyer from Denarau and then a seaplane back to Nadi. The resort boat is small with no toilet so I don't think appropriate for young kids.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom beach villa which was beautiful and huge. It is two large bedrooms connected by an outdoor bathroom. I had a 3yr old and 6 month old baby and I was concerned before we left that I would not feel comfortable with them being in the back room, but it was absolutely fine. I would highly recommend you take a monitor though if you have young kids. Housekeeping did a great job of keeping the rooms clean.

The kids club was great and the babysitters were fantastic. Recommend you ask for a babysitter from the kids club (Joanna, Mere, Anna) as opposed to the resort bringing someone from the local village. I had someone come from the village on day 1 and her english wasn't fantastic - not sure how much experience she had with babies. The minute I said something it was resolved and we had Joanna babysat for us the rest of time we were there and she was fantastic. My 3 yr old loved the kids club - when she had enough they would bring her to me so she was never unhappy there. There is a kids menu at lunch. Dinner is 1 dish only but always delicious and a proper meal - my daughter loved the food. Only downside was that the paths are all made from beach sand so it wasn't possible to push the pram to and from the room so we had our hands really full to and from the room - it wouldn't stop me from going again with a baby.

The food was very nice. Some nights dinner was absolutely delicious, other nights just really nice. Never ate anything I did not like. Lunch is served from an al a carte menu and they offer salads, burgers, sandwiches and some hot dishes too. Dinner was an entrée, option of 2 mains and a dessert. Breakfast was great with fresh breads, eggs cooked as you like, fruit, cereal and some pastries - you don't need much more

The restaurant, pool and bar area are all new and beautiful. The staff are amazing, friendly and helpful. They adored the kids, especially the baby and were always waiting for a cuddle. The office staff went out of their way to help. My husband and I left our phone chargers on the mainland. They got hold of a charger for us to use for the day and then had someone on the mainland buy us new chargers which arrived the next day.

Overall, the resort is small, intimate, beautiful and quiet - without it being a problem if your kids are playing and making a noise either. The beach is beautiful, although there is some coral/shells on the waters edge. If you have kids, there is a great mix between family time and adult time. I highly recommend and look forward to going back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Tsh0t
Reviewed September 1, 2013

As our first trip to Fiji and our first all-inclusive trip (we are normally cook yourself and adventure kind of people)- we couldn't have been happier! We stayed in one of the garden villas (bure 1 to be exact) and if I could reserve that villa for our next trip (hopefully in 2 years) I would in a heartbeat! It was kind of away from everything and overall just lovely. Beds were very comfy and the open-air showers were a great touch. The ladies were great at keeping it clean and refreshing our towels daily. The water buckets to wash your feet off outside your villa were a great touch. The gardens are growing in and I can't wait to see what they will look like in a few years. Loved our porch even though it had a garden view- still gorgeous - and we got to watch the sunset every evening...just perfect.

Now to the food- we are still talking about certain meals. We are people that are used to eating every few hours and we weren't hungry in between meals. Breakfast was great- the egg/omelete bar was fantastic. Fruit was fresh. Lunch was off of a menu and tasty. If you try to customize the order- they get a little confused, but just remember the chef makes the menu based on what goes well together, you might just find out you like something (I did!). Dinner's three course meal was just fabulous- enjoyed it every evening. Also- I am a somewhat picky eater but never had an issue- always liked something! Drinks- honestly cheaper than what I expected, coming from the states- they were about what you would pay in a resteraunt and definitely cheaper than a resort. HH every day from 3:30-5 (thanks Knox- you were great!).

Activities- as I mentioned we are very active people and my husband was a little worried I would be bored. The reality was quite the opposite- this forced me to relax, enjoy a drink and read a book. Kayaks, snorkeling gear and paddleboards are all free of charge and we never had an issue using them when we wanted. The snorkeling was some of the best we have ever done (Hawaii- multiple islands, Costa Rica, Aruba...we love snorkeling!). In front of the resort a lot of the coral has died, but it is coming back and the fish are there and the visibility is great. Elvis (diving/fishing guy) mentioned that they are going to try and re-grow the reef withing the next few years. For the time being, the trick is to take a kayak to the back side of the island and snorkel the lagoons- vibrant coral, lots of fish and great visibility! We went on the manta ray safari one afternoon and saw multiple rays- definitely worth the money and I wish the resort would continue to time these trips as the tide is rising- some groups who went in the mornings didn't see any. Also went hand-line fishing one evening with Elvis. Great fun, 6 of us on the boat- I was the only one to catch something (that's just the nature of fishing, other groups caught more)- it was a gorgeous pink and orange rock-cod. Made a yummy fish and chips for lunch the next day- at no additional charge! I even got a massage in my bure one day by Reata- great value at about US$35/hour. It was perfect, just what I needed!

I agree with what a few people have said about the owners/managers- I did find it a little odd how everyone was serving them hand and foot when they work there as well. But I guess as long as it isn't causing problems with guests (there are ALOT of staff so I didn't notice any issues) then who am I to talk. I spoke with Briana a few times and she was always nice and helpful.

We did talk to quite a few people and they mentioned that they will be expanding the resort to hold a max of 300 people. It currently holds 50. The 300 will be over the island they are currently on and the island across the way which I believe will be a little more exclusive. My understanding is that the construction will take place over the next year (btw didn't notice too much construction noise- but we didn't spend much time in our rooms during the day--you are in Fiji afterall). The pool and bar area are meant for a larger group of people and they mentioned they will be adding resteraunts and be building on other areas of the island. We love how small PCR is right now so this makes it a little nervous, but I think as long as the layout is kept spread out and quiet how it is now, the result will be great. I guess we will have to return to find out!

Umm-- anything else- nope just go! Do it, you know you want to! For the price you can't beat this- totally worth every penny! Enjoy and bula!

10  Thank Nichole P
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Very nice resort as you would expect for the price. This was our first resort holiday, being more accustomed to 'adventure holidays' but we had plenty of fun and relaxation. It's a very small island, but there is opportunity for day trips, diving, fishing charter etc. If there are things you particularly want to do, book in as soon as you know. Some of the activities like hand-line fishing filled up the day before, and we weren't the only guests to miss out. Some activities also didnt run as advertised, e.g yoga wasn't run for the last few days we were there.
We stayed in a 2 bedroom garden villa, with our 2-year old in the second bedroom. Other reviewers have commented that as the access between the 2 rooms is through the open air bathroom it could be difficult to hear children in the second room, but we found it wasn't an issue if you leave the louvres in the door open. Rooms are beautiful, but could be improved IMO by offering mosquito nets on the beds instead of burning mozzie coil repellent. The mosquitoes are few and far between it has to be admitted, but we still got a couple of bites as we prefer not to inhale insect repellent. If you are the kind of person concerned about security, you should know that the rooms are completely insecure - the louvres in the doors are easy to push your hand through to unlock the door. We didn't have any issues with valuables going walkabout despite our son locking the safe in the open position.
Despite how new the resort is the gardens were beautiful, and with more plants going in all the time. The grounds were immaculately kept.
Food is of a consistently high standard of preparation and presentation, and the chefs are happy to go the extra mile to accompany particular needs or tastes. The only slight disappointment was breakfast, which was standard mid range buffet fare, and missing things like yoghurt - it wasn't up to the quality of the other meals. It is nice that they were not at all pushy to get you to purchase drinks.
We did find it odd that (white) management/owner sat in the restaurant being waited on hand and foot by the Fijian staff. It's one thing to dine with the guests if you are schmoozing the guests, but all Nick (?) seemed to do was sit around like an old fashioned colonial, distracting the attention of staff who could have been serving guests instead. Not even a casual greeting was forthcoming in the entire week we were there.Fijian staff on he other hand were universally lovely, and always ready to help, though sometimes whatever was requested arrived in 'Fijian time'.
Our son was too young to go into the kids' club but he had a great time and hardly a moment went by that one staff member or another wasn't playing with him. Many kids seemed to be (happily) in the kids' club from breakfast to bedtime - staff supervised kids mealtimes.
There is nice snorkelling right off the beach, with lots of fish and a variety of coral (which of course also means lots of coral on the beach instead of soft sand).
If you have pre-paid for transfers as part of your package, bring evidence with you as an amount for transfers appeared on our bill on checkout, and the office weren't budging on it until we showed them printouts.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank dsut4392
Reviewed August 22, 2013

As all the reviews say this place is excellent. I was particularly impressed with the quality of the food we were served every day. As one reviewer said it rivals some of the better restaurants you'd find in a big city. I titled the review Depends what you like because if you are coming to Paradise Cove in the hope of a child free zone it might not be the place for you. Having said that though my wife and I don't have children (yet) but found that all the children were extremely well-behaved and never bothered us or any of the other guests. The clientele appeared to be educated and not the usual types you see in the larger resorts (if you know what I mean). Another highlight for me was some of the local men who sat in the food hall every night playing traditional music on their guitars and singing. They are extremely talented and its easy to see that they are doing it because they enjoy it. With regard to the staff at the place they are some of the friendliest we have experienced on our trips to Fiji, the Cook Islands etc. lastly, the chefs also took the time out to prepare fish we caught on two trips. That was a nice touch and they did not charge a "nominal" fee for the service. The GM of Paradise Cove has got a very well-oiled operation here with staff that are well trained and excellent facilities. The free wifi in your room is a nice touch. Keep it up PC!

• Stayed: August 2013
#1 of 15 in Yasawa Islands
Octopus Resort
Octopus Resort
#1 of 3 in Waya Island

Been to Paradise Cove Resort? Share your experiences!