“As Expected.”

Econo Lodge West Fargo
Ranked #47 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Reviewed October 12, 2012

First this hotel is now an Econo Lodge. We got this room for $44 a night on hotwire and were fine with the deal given lack of success in similar price ranges on priceline and other avenues. My first impression was Choice decided it would be easier to go to a lower level hotel (Econo Lodge) than bringing this back up to current Comfort Inn standards.

Room was clean, relatively current with an LCD TV, no fridge or microwave. Wifi was flawless. Didn't use the pool and couldn't use the Spa as it was out of order. Breakfast was decent continental with the usual cereal, pastries etc as well as Waffle maker, bacon, eggs, yogurts.

We were satisfied with the hotel and the deal to book the place again on the return trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had to stay in Fargo for 3 nights, and all of the other hotels were filled. The hotel is also known as the Econolodge West. The "pool" is tiny, almost like a very large hot tub. The parking lot is also tiny and we actually could not pull our trailer into the parking lot at all. There is virtually no lobby, and only a few tables for the breakfast. The desk clerk had to call the neighboring Mexican restaurant and beg them to let us park it there for 3 days. The staff sit outside the doors and smoke and you have to walk in between them to get in the main entrance. The UPS box I had delivered to the front desk was opened by somebody before I received it. I never did get fully hot water the whole 3 days, it was only warm/hot. The first day they only made up one be out of 2. The door on the bathroom squeaked so loudly it woke up everyone and I had to fix it myself because like the hot water, they never fixed it. The room was clean though, and the breakfast was decent. The best choice for the money in Fargo is the Americinn, where we usually stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am not normally one to complain but in this case I feel it's absolutely necessary.
SInce there are so many things that went wrong I figured I'd spare everyone the long reading and make it as brief as I possibly can:
*Bathroom was extremely disgusting. Toilet had urine behind it from previous guests and "splatters" on the underside of the lid. Tub was dirty and counter was dirty.
*No fridge or microwave
*Carpets had dirt build up all along the edges. We couldn't go barefoot, it was that gross.
*Room was cleaned (barely) once during our 4 night stay. Blankets and sheets weren't washed, just thrown on the beds. My 5 year old would do a better job. Carpet wasn't vacuumed. Honestly, with what seems to be "tweakers" running the place, I think they probably rummaged through our personal belongings rather than clean the room.
*The pool was so merky you couldn't even see to the bottom of it. We noticed the "pool guy" pushing all of the standing, dirty water back INTO the pool when while we were checking out. My kids went swimming our first night but imediately got out because they said it felt like jello. Yuck!
*The side entrance door, which is around 150lbs+, fell onto my 9 year old. A staff member noticed it and didn't bother to apologize or help. I was already in my vehicle and watched the event from my rear view mirror. The door hit my son on the head and thankfully didn't hurt him. The least he could have done was apologize.
*We were told when we checked in that since there were no brochures made and since we were planning on staying for a week that we would get a discount when we chedked out. When we checked out the "managers" response to my husbands inquiry about the discount we were told we'd get was "Nope. No discount. That guys doesn't know what he's talking about." Wow, way to be professional Mr. Manager!
*The "managers" girlfriend/wife and kids sat in the entryway of the hotel all day everyday smoking cigarettes. Not really very welcoming. Stinky and annoying.
*Staff and "management" are extremely rude.
*The breakfast was alright. What was really uncomfortable was the person constantly cleaning the area while people were trying to get food. She seemed a little "high" strung running around frantically cleaning. I watched her empty one garbage can 5 times in a 15 minute period. The funny part is that during that time the only people eating were myself and my husband. We got a good chuckle out of it.
*A week after we checked out we got charged $22 for missing pillows. Sorry guys, I would NEVER EVER take hotel pillows or blankets!! We bring our own every hotel we go to. When I called and spoke to the "manager" I told him that we didn't take their pillows and his response was "thanks for throwing me under the bus on that one." Uhhhhh, ok.....
*We cut our stay short and left 4 days earlier because the experience was just horrible. The unfortunate part is that because of this one stay I will never stay at a Choice Hotels hotel again. I know they won't care but I'd rather spend TRIPLE the rate and stay somewhere clean, nice and with good service. This chain should be on Under Cover Boss!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank melissa e
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed on 4/18/12. I stay in hotels 3 nights a week, so I know a good deal when I see one. Base price before tax is under $60 and it's an awesome deal. Fridge and coffee maker in the room. Very spacious room. Plenty of towels. Nicely furnished. Very nice and friendly girl at the front desk. I did share some things on the negative side with the girl at the front desk - the heater whistles - needs some oil on the motor or something. I think the tub isn't really holding water very well and the sink isn't draining well. The coffee maker took about 15 minutes to run water through for one pot! Remember, if we don't share these issues with the staff at the front desk they can't be fixed! Don't only come to TripAdvisor to rip on the hotel if you didn't share your complaints with the hotel staff! Over all, a great bargain and I'll come here again.

Room Tip: I had room 125 and was a nice room. I gave the room rating an "average" only because of t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Steve O
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Sunday morning April 1, 2012 My husband and I came down for breakfast at 8:55am and realized that breakfast was until 10:00am. Taking a look at the area we noticed that most of the items were out of stock. No waffle mix, milk, bread, sausage and gravy, jelly, or hard boiled eggs. I approached the desk clerk (wknd mgr - Phil) who was on the internet with the other employee giggling. I asked to have the items filled but got an eye roll and a smart comment in return. After seeing this, my husband proceeded to ask him his name and hotel number so he could report him to the manager. He wrote his name and passed it to Jerry and then called him an "arrogant f***" in front of a room full of breakfast patrons. The following day we called the manager of this location, Edie, and she said she has already received complaints about him but said she would look into it and return our call. Still have not heard from her. You don't want your family to be treated badly or experience this horrible customer service, please stay somewhere else. When a hotel and manager think this is acceptable behavior, your business is not worth it to them.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank thfamily885
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I've stayed here twice. Why twice if I didn't like it? Because the second night was a comp to make up for the first one. Booked a two queen beds room non-smoking. Got a king bed that reeked of cigarette smoke. I mean it was so bad, my son and I could barely stay in the room at all. Sadly, it was family weekend at NDSU so no shot of getting another room any where else. The pool is beyond small. More so an oversized jacuzzi. We've also stayed at La Quinta and Travelodge in Moorhead. I recommend one of those.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are nicer.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank twinswin1
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My son and I just returned from a whirlwind shopping trip to Fargo This hotel provided a clean and quite comfortable stay. The beds were surprisingly comfortable, the breakfast so so but it was inexpensive and close to where we wanted to be. Right of the I29 so very convenient. Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family