“Disgusting & Horrible Service”

Econo Lodge West Fargo
Ranked #45 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
San Diego, California
“Disgusting & Horrible Service”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am not normally one to complain but in this case I feel it's absolutely necessary.
SInce there are so many things that went wrong I figured I'd spare everyone the long reading and make it as brief as I possibly can:
*Bathroom was extremely disgusting. Toilet had urine behind it from previous guests and "splatters" on the underside of the lid. Tub was dirty and counter was dirty.
*No fridge or microwave
*Carpets had dirt build up all along the edges. We couldn't go barefoot, it was that gross.
*Room was cleaned (barely) once during our 4 night stay. Blankets and sheets weren't washed, just thrown on the beds. My 5 year old would do a better job. Carpet wasn't vacuumed. Honestly, with what seems to be "tweakers" running the place, I think they probably rummaged through our personal belongings rather than clean the room.
*The pool was so merky you couldn't even see to the bottom of it. We noticed the "pool guy" pushing all of the standing, dirty water back INTO the pool when while we were checking out. My kids went swimming our first night but imediately got out because they said it felt like jello. Yuck!
*The side entrance door, which is around 150lbs+, fell onto my 9 year old. A staff member noticed it and didn't bother to apologize or help. I was already in my vehicle and watched the event from my rear view mirror. The door hit my son on the head and thankfully didn't hurt him. The least he could have done was apologize.
*We were told when we checked in that since there were no brochures made and since we were planning on staying for a week that we would get a discount when we chedked out. When we checked out the "managers" response to my husbands inquiry about the discount we were told we'd get was "Nope. No discount. That guys doesn't know what he's talking about." Wow, way to be professional Mr. Manager!
*The "managers" girlfriend/wife and kids sat in the entryway of the hotel all day everyday smoking cigarettes. Not really very welcoming. Stinky and annoying.
*Staff and "management" are extremely rude.
*The breakfast was alright. What was really uncomfortable was the person constantly cleaning the area while people were trying to get food. She seemed a little "high" strung running around frantically cleaning. I watched her empty one garbage can 5 times in a 15 minute period. The funny part is that during that time the only people eating were myself and my husband. We got a good chuckle out of it.
*A week after we checked out we got charged $22 for missing pillows. Sorry guys, I would NEVER EVER take hotel pillows or blankets!! We bring our own every hotel we go to. When I called and spoke to the "manager" I told him that we didn't take their pillows and his response was "thanks for throwing me under the bus on that one." Uhhhhh, ok.....
*We cut our stay short and left 4 days earlier because the experience was just horrible. The unfortunate part is that because of this one stay I will never stay at a Choice Hotels hotel again. I know they won't care but I'd rather spend TRIPLE the rate and stay somewhere clean, nice and with good service. This chain should be on Under Cover Boss!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank melissa e

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed on 4/18/12. I stay in hotels 3 nights a week, so I know a good deal when I see one. Base price before tax is under $60 and it's an awesome deal. Fridge and coffee maker in the room. Very spacious room. Plenty of towels. Nicely furnished. Very nice and friendly girl at the front desk. I did share some things on the negative side with the girl at the front desk - the heater whistles - needs some oil on the motor or something. I think the tub isn't really holding water very well and the sink isn't draining well. The coffee maker took about 15 minutes to run water through for one pot! Remember, if we don't share these issues with the staff at the front desk they can't be fixed! Don't only come to TripAdvisor to rip on the hotel if you didn't share your complaints with the hotel staff! Over all, a great bargain and I'll come here again.

Room Tip: I had room 125 and was a nice room. I gave the room rating an "average" only because of t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Steve O
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Sunday morning April 1, 2012 My husband and I came down for breakfast at 8:55am and realized that breakfast was until 10:00am. Taking a look at the area we noticed that most of the items were out of stock. No waffle mix, milk, bread, sausage and gravy, jelly, or hard boiled eggs. I approached the desk clerk (wknd mgr - Phil) who was on the internet with the other employee giggling. I asked to have the items filled but got an eye roll and a smart comment in return. After seeing this, my husband proceeded to ask him his name and hotel number so he could report him to the manager. He wrote his name and passed it to Jerry and then called him an "arrogant f***" in front of a room full of breakfast patrons. The following day we called the manager of this location, Edie, and she said she has already received complaints about him but said she would look into it and return our call. Still have not heard from her. You don't want your family to be treated badly or experience this horrible customer service, please stay somewhere else. When a hotel and manager think this is acceptable behavior, your business is not worth it to them.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thfamily885

Travelers are raving about these Fargo hotels

Twin Cities, MN
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I've stayed here twice. Why twice if I didn't like it? Because the second night was a comp to make up for the first one. Booked a two queen beds room non-smoking. Got a king bed that reeked of cigarette smoke. I mean it was so bad, my son and I could barely stay in the room at all. Sadly, it was family weekend at NDSU so no shot of getting another room any where else. The pool is beyond small. More so an oversized jacuzzi. We've also stayed at La Quinta and Travelodge in Moorhead. I recommend one of those.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are nicer.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank twinswin1
Winnipeg
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My son and I just returned from a whirlwind shopping trip to Fargo This hotel provided a clean and quite comfortable stay. The beds were surprisingly comfortable, the breakfast so so but it was inexpensive and close to where we wanted to be. Right of the I29 so very convenient. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank hopkins5
Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2012

We stayed in a King Suite on the Main Floor, Rm 111. It was very convenient to the pool/hot tub, breakfast area and the front desk. Even thought it was close to these three locations it was quiet. The room was very spacious with a couch, chair, desk, refrigerator, microwave oven, coffee maker, full length mirror, hair dryer, iron and ironing board and a large flat screened TV. Our room was very clean as was the rest of the motel The bathroom was on the small side but contained a long counter with a sink and a bath/shower and all worked well including shampoo, conditioner, lotion and kleenex. The breakfast was very good with waffles, and a varient of toasts, english muffins, doughnuts, mini-muffins and fresh fruit and juices and cereals. There were hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator along with yogurt and cream cheese. There was also hot bisquits with hot gravy - quite an assortment of choices. There were free daily papers. We found the staff very friendly. We got a senior's rate @ approx. $69/day which we thought was great for a weekend.

Room Tip: This motel only has two floors. We stayed on the main floor and found it very comfortable - no nois...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lin44
North Dakota
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I always look to trip advisor before booking anything , any where! This place had pretty decent reviews...so I booked, Upon arrival the hotel staff at the front desk were rude, the room was dirty, the bathroom most of all was disgusting, The breakfast the next day was very minimum , seemed like they did everything they could NOT to refill stuff, While we ate, we saw the cleaning staff runnnng around like they were high on meth, and that isn't a joke, tweaking and everything, one girl came out to get something to eat, she couldn't control herself from dancing around. At that point we decidd to hide our personal stuff, when we came back that afternoon, one bed wasn't even touched , It had a note that said they could not make our bed because they are not allowed to touch personal belongings, we had a extra blanket and two of our pillows on it, thank god I am not a slob....and that I picked up most of the room so that all they had to do was clean up towels and make beds, really????? They couldn't move a blanket and two pillows. Next morning I endd up sending my two kids over to McDonald's because there was not food put out, and I wasn't going to ask, rude staff I would say you should just pay the couple extra bucks and stay somewhere else

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family