“What a find!”

The Hotel Donaldson
Ranked #22 of 50 Hotels in Fargo
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed here one night on my way to Bismarck for business travel. I had heard of this place from a colleague that lives in the area, and I have to say I was very pleased. Although my overnight was on a Sunday, there was still the chance to walk around the area and see some sights.
The hotel itself is a historic building on a high profile corner in downtown Fargo. I am a huge fan of classic American architecture, so this was really a treat. The interior was completely remodeled and impressive. Although it had been updated, they still managed to keep that old vibe that these buildings offer (a little piece of Americana).
The room I had was on a corner and I had to stand back and appreciate all the care that was put into this place. I would have to say the room itself was bigger than my first apartment with lavish appointments. The couch in the sitting area, the huge bed, the large counter and minibar, and the bathrooms were just breathtaking. There were even local artists paintings and drawings hung on the wall like an art gallery!
The rooms were so comfortable I was sad I had to leave the next morning. The bed was awesome, although the light that came in off the street at night was pretty annoying. I read, after my stay, that there are hidden pull down shades behind the horizontal blinds, so make a note of that. There were some yelling patrons outside at 2am since there are some bars nearby, but I just put in the earplugs.
We did eat at the bar restaurant Sunday evening since the HoDo restaurant was closed. The menu was ample and I had some wonderful gourmet food...in Fargo, who knew!
I would definitely recommend this place. It is one of the best boutique hotels I've ever stayed at, and the service is next to none!

Room Tip: Get room on top floor away from street!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband & I stayed at this hotel in December and LOVED it! We would stay here more often if the prices were a little cheaper... we really liked the hotel but it was a little expensive compared to other hotels in the FM area. But a very clean room! The only issue was that the heated floor didn't seem to work in the bathroom. But we overlooked that since the rest of the room was so amazing! Most comfortable hotel beds around! My husband did order breakfast room service that was "nursing home food".... no flavor on the eggs at all. But the HoDo restaurant is good... not sure who made the eggs?

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We chose to stay here as something different, local and upscale in Fargo. We were just passing through. I loved it. I really did not hear the noise others mentioned but then I was tired and live in a city myself. Hope I have to pass through again!

Valet parking was $!5 so that is always an option if you do not want to do street parking. We did not eat at the restaurant b/c the menu was a little limited for our preferences.

Nice touch on simple happy hour as well as continental breakfast.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I really like this boutique hotel. Nice, minimalist and clean.

We checked in late and had to ask one of the servers at the restaurant to let us in the hotel area. Check in was great and the front desk actually took and showed us to our room. That was very nice and brought us chocolate truffles which was sooooo good.

The room was huge with two queen and sofa. The bathroom had AVEDA products! I love the mint shampoo and conditioner. They didn't have the face cleanser at this hotel though. You can also turn on the heated floors and this would be great in the wintertime. The towels were dark colors. I think they were purple or dark blue but they could have been black but faded a little. They were very thick.

There were plenty of storage space, actually too many for me. They provided bathrobes and slippers. I can't remember how much the robes are but I know that the slippers costs $20 if you take them. I don't think they are $20 slippers but it was nice to use them while we were there. I wish all hotels provides slippers but it seems they only do that in Asia or higher end hotels. I have so many from Asia that I have a pair in each of my luggage. I don't like walking barefoot in hotel rooms no matter if it's 1* or 4*.

Anyway, the one thing that I can't tolerate is bright lights outside. Well, it was late when we checked in and only wanted to sleep when we got there. We turned off the lights and was relieved to go to sleep. The mattress was very nice but the room was still bright from the street light outside the window. I tried to go to sleep but it was too bright. I laid there thinking, surely a hotel like this would have thought of having the room darkened. How could other people stand this bright lights outside!?! Anyway, I didn't get much sleep that night and finally got up around 4am and took one of the towels to cover atleast the slit between the blinds and the window. I finally got the sleep I needed after (I'll try to post pics). Well, the next day, when I opened the blinds I noticed that THERE IS a roller shade BEHIND the blinds!! I should have called the front desk and they would have easily told me. Wished they told us when they showed us the room. Other than that, it would have been a nice stay. But didn't get much sleep so have to give 3*.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in December for his birthday. He has always wanted to stay here as we have heard many good things. The rooms are nice...nicely decorated, cozy, and comfortable. The beds were super comfortable, as soon as I sat down I immediately thought about the wonderful nights sleep I would have. We had dinner in the restaurant which had delicious food/service was quite slow. We took full advantage of the whirlpool on the roof-top - nice and hot on a cold winter's night.
The rooms are poorly insulated. You can hear ALL of the street noise. We could hear people walking the streets, the stoplight beeps, snowplows, the bars dumping their beer bottles in the middle of the night. It was the worst night of sleep ever. There is also no parking for the hotel. It is all street parking if you can find a spot, try not to get confused on which side of the street you can park on and which ones you can't. You do have the option of parking in the Ramada ramp for a fee and walk a ways - not too fun in the winter.
Overall, it was an alright experience. I just think for the price, I was expecting something more.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mljuhl
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I found the HoDo to be one of the most comfortable hotels I have ever been to. Their extra features are great (the truffles, the happy hour, delicious breakfast) but I found their beds the best part of the hotel. The mattress was hard, but not too hard, the sheets were soft, the comforter plush. I travel frequently and having a comfortable bed away from home is a huge plus.

The restaurant downstairs serves tasty food and the lounge/bar serves great drinks and late hour bar food. I found the staff to be helpful (I forgot to bring a toothbrush, it was delivered a few minutes after my call to reception).

Cons: I found a used towel under the bed (weird) and the bathroom is a little dark. But the bathroom floors are heated!

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, it's comfortable, the rooms are airy and light - a sharp contrast from chain hotels.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2010

To many business travelers like myself, a hotel is simply a hotel. Every now and then you run across a place that makes an impression, unique/original. The Hotel Donaldson is that place. A place you actually look forward to visiting and staying. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Fargo!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business