“Great place to stop with kids”
Review of Red River Zoo

Red River Zoo
Ranked #2 of 39 things to do in Fargo
More attraction details
Owner description: The Red River Zoo is a leading conservation organization for some of the world's rarest cold climate species. We feature world class exhibits on over 33 beautiful acres. Founded in 1999, we are constantly growing into a leading attraction in the Fargo Moorhead area. Our new interactive Children' Zoo Farm and Nature's Legendary Playground open in 2016! Come in and see for yourself!
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was thoroughly impressed by the Red River Zoo. It is small, but really the perfect size to take kids to. It takes 1-2 hours to go through, depending on how much you stop to look. It's very clean and you can tell they are constantly improving their exhibits. There's a fun petting zoo and the carousel is a lot of fun. Reasonably priced gift shop.

3  Thank kimmyk2314
There are newer reviews for Red River Zoo

Reviewed September 17, 2013

This past August was my first visit to the Red River Zoo.

It is small in comparison to other zoos I have been to however, it was a nice size and very well laid out. My daughter loved merry-go-round and the petting zoo.

Make sure to bring quarters as they have some feeding stations where you can purchase pellets and feed the ducks/geese or the horse/cow/donkey & goats.

The Grey Wolf exhibit was beautiful. The river otter exhibit was not yet complete but we look forward to seeing it next year. We also missed the red panda as it was simply just too hot the day we visited.

Not too badly priced for a zoo and can be seen within 2 hours without rushing through & stopping for a couple of animal feedings. They do have some wagons there for free if you're lucky enough to get one.

Not badly priced for

2  Thank Emmapawprints
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We are happy to be members of the ever growing Red River Zoo. This little zoo is the ‘youngest’ zoo in the state and it has big goals for its’ future. The Otter Rapids are under construction and even though their home isn’t ready, the otters are on display in the contact area. The spring is one of the best times to see all of these cold climate animals enjoying the weather. If you live in the area, your best bet would be a membership as they pay for themselves after just a few visits. Loved our march visit and look forward to our next.

3  Thank JesseWhite
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

It is a nice zoo. But they charge too much to get in. However they are expanding. My family has been a zoo member for years in Fargo and my kids still love it.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

When we arrived we were a little put off by the bison statue in front of the zoo that was painted like a tiger since it was a little disorienting. We later found out it was a city wide charity thing where the bison statues were painted in different ways, but it still seemed a little odd. The zoo itself was a little more expensive than I would have liked considering how small it was. We stretched things out as we were with 2 and 4 year olds, and we only really stayed 1-2 hours.

There are some neat highlights including the red pandas and some of the other Asian/Russian animals. They have a few domestic animals, and were constructing an otter exhibit while we were there. We saw a porcupine training session, and I hadn't realized exactly how cute these waddling, prickly creatures could be. There was also a farm area with feed and a small reptile house (all of them are in smaller tanks).

There is a pretty decent playground area with a drinking fountain. Unfortunately the fountain has a leak in the bowl which sprays kids' feet with water, so they slip and slide on the play structure! This is right next to an indoor restored carousel that costs extra to ride, though parents accompanying children are thankfully free.

I'm not sure I'd go back at the same price unless there are some additional exhibits, but the grounds were well-cared for, and everyone was very helpful. My kids really enjoyed it.

Been to Red River Zoo? Share your experiences!