“Small Zoo, but the kids will enjoy it”
Review of Red River Zoo

Red River Zoo
Ranked #3 of 41 things to do in Fargo
More attraction details
Owner description: The Red River Zoo is a leading conservation organization for some of the world's rarest cold climate species. We feature world class exhibits on over 33 beautiful acres. Founded in 1999, we are constantly growing into a leading attraction in the Fargo Moorhead area. Our new interactive Children' Zoo Farm and Nature's Legendary Playground open in 2016! Come in and see for yourself!
Reviewed January 11, 2012

This zoo can't be compared to Minnesota Zoo or other larger zoos, so if you're expecting something on par to that you will be disappointed. But if you're looking for a little short day get away with the family on a warm day, you might want to consider this one.

1  Thank SarahSFargo
"nice job"
"big city"
"once a year"

Reviewed November 8, 2011

I visited the RRZ 3 times in the past 2 years, and enjoyed each visit. You won't see all the usual zoo animals here. That is because the RRZ concentrates primarily on species that live in cold climates similar to North Dakota (the exception being the African Meerkats which are moved indoors during the winter). They have wolves, bactrian camels, prarie dogs, eagles, takin, and a reptile house to name a few residents. The RRZ intoduced me to 3 species I have never seen before: the red panda, the pallas cat, and the tanuki (racoon dog). I often read the monthly newsletter online, and I can tell the the staff here really cares about the animals and the conservation of these animals.

1  Thank AF_Hiker
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Being an avid traveler who often enjoys stopping at local zoo's with my family in many different states. I always have enjoyed coming back to my home town and being able to go to the Red River Zoo. The bigger zoo's i have visited had plenty of animals but that was it. I went in i saw and i left. It's completely different at this zoo, my son alone can spend hours there being followed around by a curious flock of peacocks wondering if he is gonna drop any popcorn he got from the carousel pavillion. Also walking into the petting zoo i see animals i grew up with on the farm true, but i also see animals that have unique information that even though i have known these animals all my life, I would have never known had it not been for RRZ. Also these animals weren't all brought in from neighboring zoo's across the states. These animals you see at the zoo besides the original few they started with, were all born at this zoo or been here since babies. The horses and goats, meerkats, prairie dogs, birds, wolves, squirrels, red pandas and so on. It has been a blessing to see these creatures grow into the majestic animals they are now. My son has even started saying the horse must be his relative because we have pictures of the two growing up together. =) I don't look at the horse and say oh look a horse, I see Tayllor because each animal has thier little name plates out so each visitor can bond with the animals ever so much more. It makes me feel like i am not just another visitor, but a member of the zoo family. Its a place my son and his friends all beg my husband and myself to take them.
I think if you do not like to price there is always the option of membership, and it gets you into over 150 other zoos in the country also so you wouldnt be just spending 30-50 bucks for you or your family to get a membership to a zoo you'd never come back to. We use our membership card all over the country, and still come home and enjoy our lil' zoo as often as possible.

Reviewed October 9, 2011

I visited the Red River Zoo in Fargo on October 8th 2011. It has changed quite a bit since I lasted visited a few years ago. The exhibits are beautiful and very modern looking. There wasn't a huge variety of animals but enough for the size of the zoo. They had woodland animals, reptiles, barn animals and some Asian area animals and many different birds. Having the smaller enclosures allow for you to get up close and personal with the animals and make for some really great pictures. All in all it takes about an hour or so to go through but will vary on the party you're with and how fast you go through everything. The only gripe I had which was mentioned was the price, 8 dollars for an adult is quite high compared to other zoos out there. The kids will enjoy the merry-go-round and the play structure. The plans for the future look promising as the zoo hopes to acquire many more animals and are starting to build the enclosures for them.