“Best in town”

Acapulco Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 330 Restaurants in Fargo
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Best in town”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is my family's favorite Mexican restaurant in town. Their salsa is literally half the reason we go! It's awesome! Their Super Veggie Burrito is my favorite also. They are really fast and so nice. We've been visiting this restaurant for over 8 years. Places like Paradiso, Mexican Village, and the like are too Americanized and not tasty, and this is the only Mexican restaurant we visit.

3 Thank Cheezylisa

Moorhead, Minnesota
“Great and inexpensive. Great value for the quality”
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This is my top Mexican place in town. It is family owned with an all Mexican staff. Food is great. They have many chicken, seafood and steak dishes one does not see in the typical north of the border Mexican places. Service is super fast and attentive. They know what they are doing. They also have four different soups (all strangely scattered all over the menu and not all in one place), two of them are of all seafood. They are all excellent, again not often seen in Mexican restaurants. The environment is fine for a place at this price point. The overall package and value is why I gave a a five star, not necessarily being the best food I have ever eaten or the best place ever in any absolute sense. It is for quality and value that they rank high.

1 Thank kawidd
Fargo, North Dakota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Forget the Canadian conspiracy...”
Reviewed July 8, 2011

I live in Fargo and anytime I want Mexican food, I go to Acapulco. There aregod knows how many mexican restraunts in this relatively small burgh, and it is by far the best. It's not perfect, but who is? The building and decor are older and show signs of wear, but they are not dirty or repulsive. Most of the staff are great, enthusiastic, and fun. Theres a bad seed every now and then, but they don't last long. And, the best part, the food is best in town. Authentic, wide selection, with dishes that most places don't even know, much less be able to provide. Prices are fair, and I have never left without a smile on my face. I've read some very negative reviews here by some foriegn contributors, and all I can say is that I guess I'm sorry you had a bad experience the one time you went. You really are missing out by crossing it off your list of possible stops on your trips back across the border.

1 Thank DanFargo
Winnipeg
“Bad on almost every level.”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I tried this restaurant on a whim and boy was I disappointed. They did get some things right, but mostly they got things wrong. Basically they don't seem like they are trying very hard at all.

I typically don't place much value on the aesthetics of a restaurant, but the first thing that stood out to me was the appearance of 20+ years of neglect. Stained carpet, torn and tattered upholstery and grunge was everywhere. Definitely not a good start.

My meal began with delicious complimentary nachos and salsa. The salsa was wonderful and definitely prepared from scratch. I was very impressed.

Things pretty much went downhill from there. Even though I was the only person in the restaurant, somehow they managed to bring me a plate of cold food.

I waited for the server to return to ask me how everything was going, but he never came back to the table. Realizing that I was not going to get hot food, I decided to finish what was presented to me.

The flavorless meat on my tacos was hard and dry - it seemed like it had been prepared one or more days beforehand. The rice seemed stale and a bit dodgy. The refried beans were acceptable but nothing to write home about.

Even though I was the only person in the restaurant at the time, my server did not refill my drinks, nor did he bring me my bill. I had to get up from my table and nearly fake a dine-and-dash to get noticed.

As the embarrassed manager was ringing up my bill, I could see my server in a booth watching YouTube videos on his BlackBerry, completely oblivious to the world.

Pros: Tasty home-made salsa was included with the complimentary nachos. Decent value for the money. Free parking in front. Convenient location.

Cons: Bland, dry, overcooked food. Food standards appear to be quite low. Does not taste authentic. Awful decor that is dated, dirty and tattered. Neglectful and slow service. They don't seem like they are even trying.

• Visited May 2011
2 Thank chrisCrunchy
Winnipeg, Canada
“Mediocre Mexican food, would not go again.”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My husband and I went here on a recent trip to Fargo. We did not read any reviews first, just went becuase it was close by and we like Mexican.

The pros: Reasonable prices, fresh chips and delicious homemade-tasting salsa for dipping. Picadillo enchilada was tasty. Refried beans were good.

The cons: Most of the food was totally mediocre. Tacos were bland with dry, overcooked chicken. Chile relleno totally bland. Gluey sauce all over the plate. Nothing tasted fresh. Food arrived a bit cold. Service could have been better, waiter was sitting around texting in full view of customers. Ripped upholstery and dated decor.

Overall: Tasteless and boring Mexican food. Acceptable if you're not picky. If you know what real Mexican food tastes like you will be disappointed. Try someplace else.

• Visited May 2011