“Great place to stay”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Dickinson
MN
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed October 4, 2008

This hotel was comfortable and clean. Our kids really enjoyed he swimming area, while we enjoyed the hot tub. Clean rooms friendly staff and a great price.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Albany, NY
Reviewed September 24, 2008

This is definitely an older Comfort Inn that appears to be catering to the oil field & construction workers. Overall not a great place to stay, it started out bad when the room was not ready for checkin at the advertised time of 3:00 and I had to wait for an hour. This would not have bothered me much but things went downhill from there. The room that I had was a one king bed unit with a small refrigerator/microwave combo and an easy chair with ottoman. This was fine however the room did not have a desk or any writing surface. If you are traveling on business or have paper work to do this is rather important, I spent the evening stooping over the ottoman where I had set up my computer & bending down to the floor to get pages from my printer. The room was fairly clean other than the previous guest’s popcorn that was still on the floor and quite stale by this time (gross). The floor was also very uneven with bumps that rose up about 1/2 inch in several places under the carpet; I would think this would be a tripping hazard for many guests.

At least the coffee wasn't bad at checkout, and no, I did not actually try the popcorn.

• Liked — Check out & coffee
  • Disliked — No desk/writing surface.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank JoeyNY
Missoula, MT
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Booked a smoking room online. When checking in were told it was a smoking room for 2 so we headed up. Ends up it wasn't (I called down to the desk to confirm). No biggie, even as a smoker, it is more pleasant to have a non smoking room. We were tired after driving for 10 hours and it was time to kick back!

Room seemed ok and pretty clean, we were fine with everything. 9:00 at night, someone tries to get into our room but we had the bar lock on thankfully. Hmmmmm.....ends up they gave us the wrong room and assigned it to another guest. What if we wouldn't have been in? Big security boo boo. Received a call from the front desk explaining what happened and when I told her it wasn't my fault, was hung up on. I was a little worn after the long trip and did not appreciate a stranger trying to get into our room. I don't think I need to remind anyone that the exit from the bathroom is in front of the door :)

Not by my choice (hubby's and got an earful) we changed rooms at 9:30 at night so the nice guy could have "ours" next to his brother (they had to send in a make-do cleaning crew as they were all long gone).

New room was not very clean-smoke detector went off when we ran the heat. Kicker is there was still coffee and filter in the maker from the previous guest. YUK YUK YUK. At this point it was almost funny when Hubby asked me if it looked like there was coffee in the pot.

My advice is to spend the extra $20 for 2 people and stay at the Holiday Inn Express!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Shegmt
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I've stayed in Dickinson a few times now, having previously stayed at the Comfort Inn on my first visit in 1997. It was cheaper then (only $27 before tax, which even then was unusually cheap), but it was also in better shape.

The hotel looks worn and tired. When things break, they tend to stay broken. I wasn't interested in the water slide, but when I was there, it was out of order, which disappointed some other guests. Also, the elliptical machine in the fitness room was in such poor shape that the labels for the buttons on the control panel had all worn away, making the machine difficult to use. The bed linens were well past their prime, and some areas of the corridors were quite smoky. (At least the smell didn't enter my room.)

If you're tall, watch out for the tub/shower. The ceiling height is a lot lower than the bathroom ceiling and might pose a problem.

At least there is a good variety of things to eat for breakfast, and there is now a decent-sized breakfast room. In 1997, seating for breakfast was in the pool area.

Another plus: unlike some fancier hotels, I slept well here.

• Stayed August 2008
Boone, Iowa
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights in early August, 2008. The hotel staff at check-in were extremely nice and helpful, giving us a king room with sofa bed well away from the pool (for quiet) and near an exit door for convenient car loading/unloading.

The room was clean, and pretty standard, with a view of the rear parking area. King bed was more firm than other hotels beds I've slept on recently, but was able to get 2 halfway decent nights of sleep. Son had no complaints of the sofabed. Wireless internet worked flawlessly; fridge and microwave were also in the room.

Bathroom was clean, but very small and sink seemed to be made of some sort of plastic.

Location is decent, with the interstate close by and the local mall and many restaurants also in the neighborhood (I would recommend Sanford's Grub & Pub for food).

Free breakfast was decent, with cereals, waffles, pastries, etc.

The pool has a 7.5 foot deep end, which was a nice change from the 4ft deep ends I've become accustomed to at indoor pools recently. The waterslide was pretty fun (there's a small, straight one for little tykes) and empties into a very shallow area completely separate from the main pool. The spa was closed during out stay.

Make special note of the chlorine levels if you stay here. My entire family started coughing with a burning sensation in throat and upper lungs after nearly an hour in the pool area and had to leave and take hot showers and get fresh air for 2 hours in order to recover. Manager said he'd had no other reports of problems, but we felt it weird that all 3 of us had the same reaction and we're usually quite different in our sensitivities to chlorine.

Other than the pool incident and the overly firm bed, I had no complaints and would likely try staying here again due to the accommodating and friendly staff.

• Liked — Staff attitude was great, located close to shopping and dining.
  • Disliked — Hotel showing its age and pool had some chlorination problems during our stay
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 17, 2008

In Dickinson, the choices for hotels are limited. We were unaware of a few of the newer hotels that were there so we chose to stay here. It was okay, nothing special. It was fully booked due to events, oil boom, and tourists. The breakfast was good and my family liked the pool. The room was okay but nothing beyond basic. It was clean but nothing beyond basic. It has a good location. It was a little expensive for the quality but I am sure that supply and demand dictates the pricing. We would stay again, if the two other newer hotels in town were booked.

Stayed July 2008
North Dakota
Reviewed June 27, 2008

We have stayed in this hotel on several occasions and have never been disappointed. The rooms are clean and nice with comfortable beds. The pool area is great for kids; with a minny water park and water slide. The breakfast is good. Hotel staff are always polite and helpful.

• Liked — Pool area is great for the kids.
  • Disliked — Nothing to do in Dickinson; everyone goes to Medora.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family