“The "oil boom" jacks up prices”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Dickinson
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I am a great fan of Holiday Inn, but was quite disappointed that the prices in this town were so overinflated. I usually try to stay at a HIE, knowing that I will have a good bed, decent sleep, TV, Wifi and breakfast. And every other place was around $110 for the night. With my AARP or AAA discount, I usually get another $10 knocked off. This place's opening price was $148. The girl at the desk (who spoke so softly I had to have her repeat what she said) offered me an AARP discount of $4. Accommodations were as expected, thank God, because I would have really pitched a fit. Really, Dickinson? Charge the oil workers what you want, but try to be kind to tourists. The only reason we stayed here was because I wanted to go through Teddy Roosevelt Park. We could have left the Twin Cities on our way to Wyoming via Rapid City and the Black Hills. I am probably done with any travel in or through North Dakota. Greed can be very disappointing.

Room Tip: Find another way to see things around Dickinson without actually staying there.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pitufo00
Angie T, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good, and the bad. whilst I am pleased with the good and really good comments, I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see improvements.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Our room was ok but the beds were the most used and least comfortable at any holiday inn we've stayed at in years. With the oil boom the rate had increased by 70% and they even charged us $35 for an extra blanket. Thankfully they did refund this fee on request. Front desk stuff was nice as was breakfast. Room was clean but the pool area needs a really good deep cleaning.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ND1438
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear ND1438,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We are pleased you enjoyed the breakfast served during your stay and delighted you found our front desk staff commendable. I would like to apologize for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. Nevertheless, we have shared your comments with our management team to ensure the issues you mentioned are addressed. Your feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

Joel B

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Upon checkin one of our rooms smelled of smoke. In a non-smoking hotel! They did provide a different room.

The milk they served us for breakfast had been expired for over a month. Called and told the front desk. No discount on our rooms.

Overall the staff was friendly, but as we sat by the pool area we noticed they take quite a few smoke breaks.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Angie T, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you for your feedbackl. We take our guests comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accomodations. We are sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my family and was pleased with everything. It would have been nice if it had been cheaper, but it has been my experience that in that area of the state the price is about to be expected. Our room was extremely clean and well-appointed. Comfortable beds. My kids enjoyed the pool and the water slide. Breakfast was decent. Front desk staff was pleasant. We had no complaints.

Room Tip: We had Room 121 which was right across the hall from the guest coin-operated laundry and right next...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
DICND, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and sincerely appreciate your generous comments about our hotel. We strive to do our best to make your stay as pleasant and enjoyable as possible. Please visit us again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I agree with other reviews as the hotel is way over price. They quoted me $149 (taxes in) only to find out they made a mistake and it should of been $167.

The hotel couldn't correct the mistake so i paid the full amount and left.

The pool area and rooms were ok; nothing special. Food was decent with excellent cinnamon buns.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Heduk,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. Please allow us to apologize for the over-all issues you had during your stay. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain some additional details. Thank you for staying and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I fully understand that you are busy and are trying to take full advantage of the oil boom in western North Dakota but.....I was quoted a rate of $149.00, which is high compared to other local hotels. After the initial night, when confirming my reservations for the rest of the week, I was informed that for the remainder of my stay the rate would be 174.99 plus tax. When I questioned this, they let me know that this was based on occupancy. Needless to say, I cancelled my reservation and am staying the remainder of the week at the Ramada Inn. I am a platinum rewards member with holiday inn and will continue to do business with them, just not in Dickenson ND.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Kwindjue
Angie T, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Kwindjue,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Holiday Inn Express in Dickinson.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was really disappointed in my stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Dickinson. When I arrived the room I had booked online was "bumped" because apparently unless you make the reservation with the front desk directly you are last on the list. I made my reservation online so the King bedroom I booked wasn't available. The worst part of the stay though was the total lack of attention toward customer service from the front desk in the evening. I must have entered and left the hotel 3 times one evening and wasn't greeted once. The young woman up front was too engrossed in her book to bother i guess. Each time this person was working she was reading a book. Made me really uncomforable because shouldn't the front desk person keep an eye on who is coming and leaving the hotel???
The day staff seems to be much better, but that's probably because management is around during the day.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank CB_222333
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Dickinson, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Dear CB_222333,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I would like to apologize for the unacceptable service you received during your stay. I am also sorry for the issues you had with your room accommodations. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M