“Very impressive hotel for an unimpressive city.”

Fireside Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Devils Lake
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Devil's Lake is somewhat of a pit. It is a generic North Dakota city being heavily encroached upon by the rising lake. As a result there are an average of 80 dump trucks each making 10 or so trips a day hauling dirt from one end of town to the other in an effort to raise the dikes. That having been said, this hotel made the trip bearable.

I first stayed at this property about 10 years ago when it was a Comfort Inn. Since that time they have dropped the franchise and raised the bar on quality. The cramped lobby gives no hint of the rooms beyond.

The rooms still have a "Comfort Inn" feel to the furnishing but overall are a bit better from the cleanliness to the free amenities provided. As a business traveler my pet peeves with hotels are a lack of a space to work and poor lighting. My room addressed both. There was an ample working "desk" area as well as a good sized table to work at. Ample lighting was provided for working and area lighting was available for comfort lounging later. The Wi-Fi was robust and steady.

The morning breakfast was typical but, unlike some properties, edible. If you desire something more substantial several restaurants are nearby. The staff was exceedingly pleasant and helpful.

Monday through Friday they have a concierge room where they will comp you two drinks and pizza. I showed up at 7 and they gladly accommodated me.

The property is a two story walk-up. If you have any mobility issues I'd suggest that you reserve a ground floor room in advance as there are no elevators. Access to the parking lot is easy through multiple entrances.

Since I'm on the road constantly I tend to be somewhat critical of properties. The only beef that I had with this property was a wonky dryer in the guest laundry.

The hotel is located right off of ND2 and thus very convenient. I was pleasantly surprised that the noise from the constant truck movement wasn't noticeable from my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the backside away from the highway.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank projectorfixer

Reviewed September 3, 2011

We have been on the road for 5 weeks and this hotel must be the worst. First, no elevator. My husband has a heart condition and it was quite difficult to get all our luggage up 2 flights of stairs. We asked for a room on the lower floor and they said they were full. When we got to the room, it had a horrible stale smell. There were windows to open, but there was so much dust from construction, we couldn't do that either. The bed was covered with an old polyester type bedspread that I immediately removed. The sheets were green! I've never seen anything other than white sheets in a hotel. The room was fairly clean (except for the smell), and had a newer TV. My suggestion is forget the new TV and update the linens!
Breakfast. I have an allergy to eggs and so cannot eat most hotel breakfasts, but I can drink the coffee. When I went down to get coffee, the machines were emptied and being cleaned. Granted it was later in the morning, but not that soon after the breakfast had closed.
There were some sights to see in the area and when we asked about them were not told of the unbelievable construction we had to go through to get to these sights, AND when we finally got to the sights, one was closed and the other we gave up on because we were tired of dealing with the construction (see photos) and just wanted to get out of there. It would have been nice if the woman at the front desk of the hotel would have warned. We must have wasted 3 hours of our day and our car was filthy!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LadyB319
MinnesotaMitch, Manager at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

Our bedding has been upgraded, all of the bedding is now white as you requested.

If you require first floor, it is always best to request it when you initially make the reservation as we can fill up very quickly. We always try to accommodate our guests.

Road construction is a little out of our hands and I am sure that the front desk clerk would have let you know about the business closure if they would have known about it.

We clean our coffee machine right away after breakfast for sanitary purposes. It is usually back up and running within 15 minutes.

We hope that you choose to stay again and we appreciate your business.

Monica

Reviewed August 30, 2011

The staff here is friendly and take care of any problems that arise above and beyond my expectations. They also serve 2 free drinks during happy hour. The rooms are clean and the folks that take care of the room when you are away are often-times intuitive on what you need and what you can use again. Any time I'm in the Devils Lake area, this is the hotel I am staying at.

Room Tip: To get a good room, book a week and a half to two weeks in advance.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed here Aug 11, 12 for a fishing trip. Room was clean and adequate, typical chain size room but the hospitality was fantastic. Mon thru Thurs they have a courtesy happy hour with beer, wine and pizza at no charge from 5-7 pm. Pool and hot tub were clean. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Breakfast was a notch above normal. Scrambled eggs and sausage were great. Waffle batter is premeasured into cups with 2 waffle makers, Cereal, fruit, coffee, juice, pastries, toast and fixings were also available. For 85 bucks a nite including tax, I thought it was a great deal.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank mnfisherman284
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The hotel has a nice breakfast and it is very clean. The rooms have lots of tables, a microwave, and a fridge. The decor and bedding are dated. BEWARE OF THE HOTEL'S CANCELLATION POLICY. We needed to change our reservation and were told that the hotel had a three day cancellation policy and we would be charged one night's stay (approx. $94). The policy was not posted in their lobby (despite being told by a manager that there was a sign in the lobby...nope, no sign). The policy was not printed on the confirmation paper that I received at the hotel in the lobby a couple weeks before the scheduled stay... In short, it seemed like the hotel staff just "made up" some random policy to charge me for changing my reservation.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank PAmomroadtripper
MinnesotaMitch, Owner at Fireside Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

We have discussed the cancelation policy and decided we agree. We have changed the 72 hr cancellation policy to 4 p.m. of arrival. If you have had difficulty with this please contact the Fireside Inn manager. If you are not satisfied with the answer ask him to give you my number. (Owner)
Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed February 11, 2011

We stayed there during a hockey tournament. The rooms were clean, comfortable and spacious. As mentioned in previous reviews the shower heads are low. It had a good breakfast of waffles,fresh fruit, toast/bagles, cereal, eggs, sausage, yogurt and the kids enjoyed the all day hot chocolate. The pool area is not that big but the kids were able to have fun in it. The pool closes at 10:00 (for kids) and 11:00 for adults. The staff were there right away to kick us out. At the hotel lobby there were 2 computers set up and the hotel didn't mind kids playing on it. Overall they were very accommodating to our group.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank LL18
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Would definitely stay here again if I was in the area. We were driving back to Denver from Erskine, MN over New Years 10-11, after visiting family. A huge blizzard knocked out the interstate (I-29 I believe towards Omaha). We decided to head due west and neander down through Wyoming. We didn't make it very far when our Jeep Cherokee Sport blew a head gasket on us. Extreme Hooray by the way to Bert's Deep Rock towing for coming out and rescuing my family in 10 degree below temperatures and bring us into safety. Also Big Hoorays for the local car dealerships working with us on repairs and alternate transportation. Everyone in this great little town is so super friendly. One of the last great American towns left.) Anyways, we ended up picking the Fireside Inn to spend the night in after reading several positive reviews about the place. We had read very bad reviews about the Devils Lake Days Inn and Super 8. The Holiday Inn Express looked OK.
The Fireside Inn was a very good fix for us. Very clean. It was once a Comfort Inn I believe. It's an older building (20 plus years), but the new management has apparently done a lot of upgrades to keep it up with the times. Flat screen TVs in the rooms. New linens and towels. New carpet, etc... There's a Kmart adjacent, so that made it very nice for us, as well as a pizza buffet restaurant next door. They have a very nice indoor pool / jacuzzi as well. Good continental breakfast (waffles, scrampled eggs, sausage, bagels, toast, cerial, juice milk, etc...) And the place was clean!!! Would definitely stay here again. A very solid 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank amymantooth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Devils Lake
Cobblestone Hotel & Suites Devils Lake
Holiday Inn Express Devils Lake
Sleep Inn & Suites Devils Lake
#1 of 1 in Devils Lake
#1 of 1 in Lakota

Been to Fireside Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!