“Good enough motel”

Super 8 Bowman
Super 8 Bowman
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Bowman
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed here white returning to Williston, ND from the Badlands, SD to pick up an Amtrak train. We had no idea that we were going to be staying in Bowman but we were glad to get a room anywhere as all the places that we contacted were booked for the night. The room and bathroom were clean and the welcome was helpful. Apparently all rooms in this part of ND are taken by the railroad workers mending the line after the floods and mining (?) workers. The alternative would have been a night in the car! We arrived a little too late for Bowman (8.30pm). As a European, that amuses me a little as I think of this is mid evening. But then I was on holiday. Everything (and there isn't a lot) was closed. We did make the mistake of trying to walk, which slowed us down a little and the one or two places to eat are spread out.The main gas station/snack bar had a strange smell of something rotting so we gave that a miss. I try not to eat wheat, so the take away pizza didn't inspire me. None of these are the fault of the motel. It wan't their fault that fresh food at 8:30pm isn't easy to come by and life is too short to eat a Twinkie. So we had some kind of (high salt, high fat) food item from the Kum and Go (apparently named without a hint of irony) convenience store and enjoyed the TV before a good night's sleep, glad not to be in the car! Perhaps there was more on offer at 8:30pm in Bowman ... but this was certainly an experience we'll remember.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank edinburghtraveller7
There are newer reviews for Super 8 Bowman

Reviewed October 6, 2011

On check-in the person (man) at the front desk was super rude. He acted like I was bothering him and when I asked a question he just shook his head like you are really stupid or something. He did not speak ENGLISH well at all and I had a really hard time understanding him. When I asked for a noce place to eat he sent me to a service station with stale food and pizza. While three doors away was a nice family style restaurant he never mentioned. His writing was bad and he wrote down the password for the internet and his (o) looked like a (c), when I aksed him to clarify this he raised his voice and said the worn three times to make sure even I could understand.

Will drive 200 miles out of the way to never have to stay here again.

Dave Seat

Room Tip: Please stay at any motel but this one.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We had been driving for hours and got there late. The guy at the desk was borderline rude. I think he may have been the owner. When we got to our room it was filthy. I don't think it had been vaccuumed in weeks. We were scared to walk without shoes on. The bathroom hadn't been cleaned and there were whiskers all over the place. The place was completely booked and due to the hour and the size of the town we couldn't look for anything else. Fortunately I had a pack of clorox wipes with me so I could disinfect the batthroom. Don't stay here. It was disgusting.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I won't go into all the reasons why you should avoid this place but will give three words that can summarize my overall experience at this place. 1) Unfriendly (and down right rude). 2) Dirty. 3) Disaster.

If coming to Bowman, I'd recommend bringing a tent and staying in that over laying your head on the pillow here. If passing through, keep going to Dickinson or follow to Rapid City. Trust me, you'll be glad you chose to stay elsewhere over staying at this poorly run dump!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Just happened while on a Road Trip we ended up in Bowman for the night. This appeared to be the only place available. I stay at Super 8 occasionally so I know what to expect but this one is in the lower rung of Super 8. The person checking us in appeared indifferent. The room had a slight smell to it that I could not really place. Not obnoxious but noticeable. Breakfast was the most basic of continental breakfasts. If I was in Bowman again I would try to find a different hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank BJP987
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Given the favorable context of online reviews, I booked a 1 night stay here - unable to find a room closer to the Theodore Roosevelt National Park - but would never do so again. We arrived in town early and looked for other accommodations, based on the reaction of an attendant at the info booth, but were unable to find any within an hour's drive on the route we were following. Upon arrival at the hotel, our reaction, based on external appearance (unpaved parking lot - no landscaping to speak of) was "oh, no!" The public areas of the hotel are visibly unclean. Fortunately, our room, once we were in, was generally clean, including the bathroom, although the carpet looked as though only the areas that guests would specifically walk on had been vacuumed. My first instinct was to turn down the linen on the bed and look for signs of bedbugs. Fortunately, there were none. The lock on the door to our room would not catch, requiring that we slam it with every ounce of strength we possessed in order for it to lock securely. That said, the rate was low enough that we should have been forewarned, but I had been unduly optimistic. Don't be unrealistic in what you expect for the available rate.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hehKillingtonVt
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This is definitely an older motel but I'm glad we stopped in Bowman. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. We had encountered some problems on our trip and were wiped out when we arrived but the friendliness and kindness of the woman working the desk really helped. I'm not sure if we will ever have reason to head through Bowman again but we wouldn't hesitate to stay here.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple