“A very nice place to stay !”
Review of Kelly Inn Bismarck

Kelly Inn Bismarck
Ranked #30 of 32 Hotels in Bismarck
Whitesboro, New York
“A very nice place to stay !”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Everything about this hotel was positive. All of the staff were very customer friendly and accomodating. The room was very nice, spacious and clean. They also have two great restaurants. I would definitely stay at this place again...they have worked hard to earn my business.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
dkoble, Regional Director at Kelly Inn Bismarck, responded to this review, August 19, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to comment on our Kelly Inn Bismarck property! We appreciate your positve feedback and use these reviews to continuously improve upon our customer service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2011

After arriving in Dickinson, ND, no rooms were available. We carried on to Bismarck and found the Kelly Inn. The gentleman who checked us in was kind and accommodating, despite the fact that several families were standing in front of him and it was after midnight.

The beds were wonderfully comfortable and the pillows (as my 15-year old son says) were really, really comfy.

We were extremely pleased that we found this hotel and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If travelling in Dickinson-Bismarck-Jamestown ND corridor ~ book in advance!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
I'm so glad our Kelly Inn in Bismarck was able to accommodate you on your travels through North Dakota! We take pride in providing excellant customer service and comfortable and clean guestrooms. We have recently purchased new pillows and are in the process of upgrading our bedding packages and are pleased that you found the room comfortable. We look forward to seeing you next time you are traveling through our area!
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed June 13, 2011

At first glance we thought we'd made a mistake booking there, it appeared old and not too inviting, but the room was clean and comfortable. We decided to try the bar and resturant, what a pleasant suprise, the staff were super friendly and the food was excellent. Would stay there again, good value for the money.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Montana
Reviewed August 22, 2010

The previous reviews were not very encouraging, but we stayed there for a wedding and everything was fine. It was clean and not shabby. The reception area was nice, too. The room had a refrigerator and microwave.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
EarlAnthony, General Manager at Kelly Inn Bismarck, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
I would like to thank you for taking your time and giving us your review. We encourage all feedback so we can continue to provide you and all others with the best quality service and amenities. I look forward to any other feedback you or anyone else might give us so we can better serve you. If you or anyone would like to contact me directly, please feel free to call me at the hotel at 701-223-8001, or 1-800-635-3559 and would love to visit about your stay or what we can do to make things better.
Belvidere, Illinois
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Stopped here on a road trip out to Glacier National Park. I had researched ahead and got a $69 price on the internet. Free wifi, nice bathrooms and soft beds. The staff were friendly and there was free coffee (with real creamer, not powdered) in the lobby for the morning.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peggymalone
Thank you for the nice comments, and taking your time to review us. Please stop and see us again.
Fargo, ND
Reviewed January 28, 2007

This hotel was booked for us as business travel. It's convenient to the expressway, downtown Bismarck, and the Capitol. But when we stayed over on a weekend night, the hotel appeared to be more popular with families.

For the business traveler, the Kelly Inn is not a good choice. The walls are thin. We could hear the television in the next room as well as children running up and down the hallways as they went back and forth to the pool area. There is a free ethernet connection in rooms, but not wireless, and a computer with internet in the lobby. The lighting, seating and desk space in the room were sufficient but not out of the ordinary. Oddly, there were no pens in the room.

The fitness room, which is promoted on their website, was difficult to use because it is located inside the pool area. This an enclosed room within the pool area, which made it very hot and stuffy; the air is filled with chlorine, which makes breathing and thus exercising difficult. In terms of equipment, there were two fairly new pieces of equipment--a treadmill and an elliptical trainer--and three pieces of unusable equipment--two types of stationary bikes and a mini-stairstepper. The exercise room had no towels or water.

The hotel seems more suited or the leisure/family traveler, but only barely so. And, indeed, the hotel seems to market itself as a weekend getaway to the state Capitol. The indoor pool is of a fair size and surrounded by several chairs and tables. The pool area also includes a hot tub and a washing machine/dryer. During our stay the pool area was always busy with families who seemed to spend most of their time in this area of the hotel--swimming, eating, drinking beer, chatting with one another--all of which confirmed our sense that this was primarily marketed as a family hotel.

BUT...the rooms are small and not particularly designed for larger families. There are connecting suites available and apparently there are also cots. Storage space is limited. There are no refrigerators in the rooms, and we saw several windows with food and drink stored in them. (This was January in North Dakota, so the windows acted like a natural refrigeration unit.)

In terms of our room, it was unsatisfactory. The room we were assigned had a queen-sized bed with only two pillows. There were no other pillows or extra bedding stored in the room. The mattress was soft, although not broken entirely down. The electric heater left the room overheated but still needed to be left so the room wouldn't be too cold (even while the heater was running, the outside wall was too cold); the heater also ran noisily.

To make matters worse, our shower did not drain and the water backed up. When we went to the front desk to get a plunger, we were told there was no plunger available and that other rooms were experiencing the same problem. There was no attempt on the part of the hotel staff to solve the problem or to offer compensation.

The hotel also operates a restaurant, Minerva's, that seems to be quite popular with both locals and hotel guests. It offers a Sunday brunch that was very busy. It's cheap ($10.95, which includes your choice of coffee, orange juice, or soda as your beverage), but not very memorable. It offers a minimal breakfast bar, with an omlette station; a small salad-bar situation; and a variety of meat-pasta Midwestern fare. The convenience of being able to eat at the hotel is offset by this mediocre fare. If we weren't staying at the Kelly Inn we would not eat there and, indeed, we would not eat there again.

In short, we were disappointed and underwhelmed by this hotel. Despite its location, it's really not much of a business hotel. Although its location seems to offer much for those looking to do a little sightseeing and its pool area is of sufficient size, the room quality offsets these advantages. I cannot recommend staying in this hotel for either business or leisure travelers.

One last word: the cost for a one-night stay: $85. (I don't remember if this was the rack rate or a special rate secured by the organization who booked the trip for us.)

• Disliked — Room quality
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank dkpeterson
dkoble, Corporate Operations Manager at Kelly Inn Bismarck, responded to this review, March 21, 2007
The Kelly Inn Bismarck caters to both business and leisure travelers alike due to our close proximity to the Capital and downtown areas. We offer several adjoining rooms for our guests with larger familes and extra pillows and bedding is always available upon request.

While Minerva's Restaurant is located in the hotel, it is a seperate entity. They offer both a buffet and a full service menu to order from with a variety of choices.

We apologize that this guest did not find our hotel to their satisfaction during their stay with us. Every effort is made by our staff to ensure your stay is an enjoyable one and we hope you consider the Kelly Inn when staying in the Bismarck area.

Travelers are raving about these Bismarck hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 13, 2005

I was lied to when quoted a rate on the hotel I reserved on the internet in April. I made a reservation five months in advance for an event. In July I cancelled one of the rooms I reserved and one of the nights so instead of two rooms I only wanted one room and instead of three nights I only wanted two nights. So as it turned out when I did this over the telephone they made a totally different reservation and cancelled my old one and at the same time the rate was different then what I was quoted. On the telephone the person in Bismarck did not give me a new quote for the room so I still thought I had the same rate and also when I checked into the room they were in such a hurry they had me fill out a blank piece of paper that did not have the rate and they did not tell me the rate that time either or where to park for the most convenient place to park for my room because I had to go back in after I realized and ask another lady where to park. When I checked out of the hotel the lady was trying to tell me I cancelled that reservation and made a new one and I let her know "Why would I cancell a cheaper hotel room rate and make a more expensive one." The lady would not understand my circumstance and just told me I had to pay that amount anyways and I wanted to talk to a Manager and she said she was the supervisor on Sept. 11, 2005 when I checked out. She said I signed the paper when I checked in so I wouldn't have to sign the bill and they would still bill me the more expensive rate which they did today on my Visa card. I am really dissapointed in this hotel because I really like it and I go to Bismarkc every year. This is not the first time I have heard bad things about this hotel and probably won't be the last. So please if you are wanting to be treated with respect and not lied to or be treated like you are lying do not stay here at the Kelly Inn in Bismarck. Thanks

• Stayed September 2005