“Poorly run”

Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Bismarck
Helena, Montana
“Poorly run”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I show up to check in, employee Jessica is leaning on the counter talking to a gentleman while on a personal tablet. Looks up at me, goes back to the tablet and leaves me standing there waiting for service-yes, I feel real welcome. Eventually someone comes out from the back to check me in and I head toward my room on the third floor. Elevator opens on the third and there are about 30 kids sitting on the floor that I have to manuver through to get to my room. With all these kids in the hall, imagine my dismay when the door to my room is already open, wedged open wih the security latch. The best thing this hotel did for me is cancel my nights stay (which I'll still need to check my credit card expenses to ensure they still didn't charge me) and let me go to a Hampton Inn. Business travelers beware, this hotel has poor service and poor security. I don't know about the room itself, I didn't stay long to honestly judge.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn, there are 2 in Bismarck
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Trent T
Ramkotagm, Manager at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
I am very sorry for this poor first impression of our hotel. I want to assure you that we take guest satisfaction seriously, and this is not the norm for our service. I will speak with our front desk staff regarding this incident so that it does not happen to guests in the future. Also, I apologize for the room door not being closed when you reached the room you had been assigned to. I will research this further to find out what went wrong. We truly feel that we are a great property for both business and leisure travelers. During the date of your stay we were hosting a convention for ND high school students.
Thank you for bringing the issues you experienced to my attention. I will address them immediately.
Samantha Ackerman, Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Ramkota is an old hotel in need of a complete remodeling.
Showers are terrible, no water pressure and water goes from hot to cold quickly.
Beds and pillows are uncomfortable, I did not sleep well here at all.
Rooms are very dated, carpets old and seem dirty.
This is not a "plus" Best Western, I have stayed in other BW's a lot nicer than this one.
Breakfast was not included in the rate.
Only good thing about the hotel is the proximity to the mall and starbucks.
Otherwise I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 49909Fiona
Thank you for taking time to share this feedback with me. I am very sorry that you did not find our accommodations comfortable. We are beginning a phased remodel of our hotel which will include our main entrance, front desk/reception area, and business center. This phase will also include updating the lighting in all of our guest corridors. We have been around for many years, but I can assure you we are committed to pleasing our customers and will take your feedback in to account as we work to improve our guest experience.
Thanks again!
Samantha Ackerman, Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Bismarck hotels

Regina, Saskatchewan
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We were there for a weekend with my son's hockey team, along with what seemed like several dozen other teams. Loud, difficult to find your way around, not enough parking, outdated and worn rooms, etc. Pool was decent enough sized but over crowded, cold and several of the kids on the team apparently got a rash of some sort presumably from the water.

Location is decent - directly across from the Kirkwood Mall.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank matchtrader
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your most recent stay with us. Our property is very large with 306 guestrooms, the waterpark and convention center so at times it can be hectic with many people moving about. That is part of the fun for us as we enjoy having all types of groups stay with us, but I can understand how it might be frustrating when you are traveling with a group. I am disappointed to read that you were not able to find parking as this is generally not an issue with parking available around the entire perimeter of the hotel. Also, I did not receive reports of the rash during this time. Please contact me at 701-355-2023 if you would like to discuss this further.
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 1, 2013

It may seem like a draw for families, but this hotel is outdated with rips in lampshades, curtains, and housekeeping that is not thorough. We were missing a shower curtain in our room, batteries in the remote, and the room was dirty with left over alcohol bottle caps left for our small child to find on the floor. The pool was FREEZING with no towels. The only positive is the location and the friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am happy that you found our location convenient and our staff friendly. However, it sounds like we missed the mark in a few other areas. I am very sorry for this. I want to assure you that we will use your feedback to improve our overall guest experience.
Thank you again for your feedback and my apologies for not meeting your expectations on this visit. If you would be willing to give us another chance in the future please feel free to call me directly at 701-355-2023. I would be happy to personally book your accommodations and guarantee an improved experience.
Central, ND
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Always stay at the Ramkota in Bismarck. It is close to shopping, eating, and entertainment. Staff is always so helpful and eager to please. Hotel is always so clean and rooms are great. Always ask the staff for their recommendations and they are always top notch.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for continuing to stay with us when you visit Bismarck! We appreciate it! I am thrilled to know that you find our hotel conveniently located, and clean. And that our staff is able to give helpful information about our city!
Thanks again, and Happy Holidays!
Jamestown, North Dakota
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a convention and brought our 2 kids. Traveling with a baby and a 3 year old is never fun, but we got adjoining rooms to make it easier (not that it made the weekend spectacular but it did help and I would recommend doing that to anyone who has young children! Worth the extra expense!). The hotel is fine, clean. It's kind of old but you can tell they've tried to update, so I give them a B for effort. The pool was wonderful for our 3 year old - she could play by herself in the little kid spot that was only like half a foot deep and had a little slide and fountains. Then she loved when her daddy would take her down the big water slides! They said the water was warm. We didn't have a fridge in our room but needed one for our baby and they brought one up for us which was great. The food we had at our banquet was really good too! I was impressed by that. My main complaints were that the walls seem paper thin - we heard every little noise in the hallway so my poor baby slept like crap. And of course no trip is complete without someone pulling the fire alarm in the middle of the night. So then both the kids were scared and screaming in the middle of the night. Anyway, I realize these things aren't the hotel's fault, but overall was good.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank brillo6510
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you have traveling with kids down to a science; pick a property with a waterpark and get adjoining rooms! You are correct that our hotel has been around for a while. I am proud to say we have been in business in Bismarck for almost 40 years! We are constantly working to update our property and we are actually in the middle of some exciting projects now. I hope you will come back and see us again in the future so we can show you how we have improved!
Happy Holidays!
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I'm a 34 year old mom and my husband and I travelled there late in the summer with our two daughters ages four and two. When we checked into the room I noticedThe shower curtain was missing and the A.C was not working. It was a very busy weekend with at least two wedding receptions. The staff was very busy trying to handle the weddings and they were understaffed. The manager was friendly and moved us to a newer room in the business class section which was renovated and much cleaner then the other rooms that are not renovated.
My daughters liked the pool area and it was big enough to keep them busy. The water in the pool was very cold for young children.The wedding reception going on late into the night and the pool area was over crowed with families and guest from the wedding party. The kids were cranky because of the noise and did not sleep well. The next morning we had to spend more money at the local Macdonalds because they did not offer any type breakfast. If you do not like a lot of noise then I would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the business class.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hayleysmomoftwo
Thank you for taking time to share this feedback with me. As you noticed, are lucky to stay very busy all throughout the year! We are a very popular wedding reception site. I apologize that the first room you checked in to was not in a rentable condition and I am glad we were able to move you too a room that worked out better for you and your family! If you come back and see us again I recommend booking our “Breakfast for 2 Rate” this rate includes two adult breakfast entrees with a beverage for each. Also, we do offer a 99 cent Kid’s Breakfast with an adult entrée purchase. Seasons Café has great breakfast options; our Breakfast Rate coupled with the Kid’s Breakfast deal would be a great value to your family.
Thanks again for staying with us!