“Old, Dirty, Rude, in great need of an update hotel”
Review of Ramkota Hotel

Ramkota Hotel
Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Bismarck
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the Ramkota for a conference. I was in a suite which should be a nicer room, but the carpets and furniture are SO DIRTY & GROSS. This room has not been updated in many years & shows it's wear & tear! The beadspread was torn & stained. When I checked into my room there were Buffalo Wild Wings containers on the floor by the curtains. Obviously the room wasn't cleaned very well before I checked in. The maids did throw my blankets up on my bed one day (guess that means they fixed it), dumped my garbage only once in the 5 days I was there. Room was not worth the price that was charged!!! It was like staying in a 1 star hotel with a 4 star price! Front desk person was very rude when I went down because my key did not work. Told me he was tired of people like me pestering him with key issues!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the whirlpool suites!!!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
5  Thank Tammy R
Ramkotagm, Manager at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

I’d like to start by thanking you for your feedback! We value the opinions of our customers as we are constantly working to improve our guest experience. I am disappointed that you did not find our whirlpool suite up to par. Our suites are actually scheduled to be remodeled this year so I hope that you will come back and visit again to see the improvements that have been made! I will also address your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and Front Office Manager. We want to make sure that our staff is doing everything they can to make our guests comfortable during their stay.

Thank you again for your review!
701-258-7700

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I dont know what these ppl are complaining about, I had the Best service that I have seen in a long time in all the hotels that I stay at!
From the point of checking in, I was greeted warm and friendly, and I asked where the luggage cart was, due to many items, and she said by the elevator Id have to park and come back in, Enterence 6!
I barely pulled into my spot and there was the bellman/door man with a cart at my car! (said to myself) like this place already! Thats customer service! Had Many things to take care of at the front desk and everyone wanted to help me, even tho I was already taken care of!
Maybe the rest had a bad night here but I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel !

Room Tip: all I can say is, I like a room with a window and not court yard so make sure you request, thats all...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed the first weekend of March. If you don't accept a prepaid card you should let the guest know that upon reserving the room, not rudely refuse the card at check in time, as not everyone carries a bank issued card.. we were argued with and finally very RUDELY told they would accept our prepaid, but "Hold 100$ for 30 days for incidentals " I can assure you there was no damage done during our stay and I still have not had that money released back to my card as of 4-14-13. The staff at the front desk (with the exception of Bob) were so rude and unhelpful, esp the 'manager' Megan. She was stuck up and unkind. The room itself was fine, but I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone due to the issue with the funds and the rude attitude of the front desk staff. If not for Bob I would've been completely disappointed in my stay. He's one of the nicest men I've ever encountered in the hotel business. He's about the only good thing they have going for them. Props to Bob for being so dedicated to his job and such a polite and kind man.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank karen b
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our room had puke stains on the carpet, mildew around the recently redone bathroom and empty beer cans and condom wrappers under the bed (which we discovered the next morning). I had considered staying 2 nights so my son could enjoy the water park, but the girl that grudgingly checked us in didn't give us the bracelets to show for the pool and the beds were so hard my elbows and hips fell asleep. We were not told where to park, the closest door to our room, or even that our room was upstairs. When we were leaving the next morning, the janitor cleaning carpets was complaining about the vomit everywhere. Its obvious that this property caters to the conventions and does not think about needing repeat business.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ottfab4
Ramkotagm, Manager at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with our property. I apologize for the issues you experienced and will share your review with our staff. We are constantly working to improve our guest experience and can assure you that we will use your comments in these efforts.

Thank you again for your review. I hope that you will consider giving our hotel another try in the future to see how we have improved. Please feel free to contact me directly and I will personally book your arranagements.

701-258-7700

Reviewed March 16, 2013

As three high schoolers in town for a state tournament, we chose the Ramkota because one of us has had a good experience here before. However, this stay was not as pleasant. The location is perfect in that it is near downtown, many restaurants, and the mall. We noticed that the hotel seemed very dim, grungy, and depressing. However, we hadn't even walked into our room yet! Our room consisted of: unclean carpet (dirty and stains) a broken TV, broken wifi, a full size pull out bed from the wall, a faulty shower head, and a shower curtain that flooded our bathroom due to its inability to repel water. (It's job) There were also blood stains on our walls as well as light that passes through the seams of them and the ceiling. On top of it all, a Billiards convention was going on right across the hall in the ballrooms continuously for 3 days. (Yes, this went through the night) This would be fine if they didn't blast country folk songs constantly, keeping us very sleep deprived. Also, the maids failed to make our beds and do anything other than replace out towels. That includes changing our garbage cans, soap, cleaning, etc. We feel as we have been cheated out of our money as well as a good night's rest. $120/night was definitely not worth our hard earned money. Even better, the people who stay here never seem to go to sleep, and it is common to see many people out in the hallways screaming even at 3 in the morning. We had the privilege of having a courtyard side room, and got to witness firsthand of the many drunks running rampant through the night in the large open space. The pool is sub par, to say the least. It is gross, musty, and a hot spot for rowdy teenagers. It isn't safe for young children whatsoever, and there isn't a lifeguard on duty. Parking is far away from the rooms. Even better, when you walk into the door, there is always a small group of smokers ready to greet you. Some of them (old men) like to harass you as you walk by. As we are sitting here writing this review at 2 AM, we cannot sleep due to the loud playing of the music. We won't be back.
Signed,
Three knights in the Dungeon

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Knightss

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry for the unpleasant stay you experienced. As you noticed, this was a very busy weekend with a large event taking place in our Dakota Ballroom. I regret that you were not informed of this event at time of check-in so that we could have placed you in a quieter area of the hotel. It is also unfortunate that we were not able to speak while you were in-house as I am confident that I could have resolved many of the issues you noted in your review.
I can be reached at 701-258-7700 and would be happy to speak with you more about your stay.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I normally stay at this hotel for business and enjoy several things. First and foremost is the shuttle service. Bob always goes out of his way to take us wherever we want and he is always there to pick us up. Bob's positive attitude and friendly service is great. It's nice to be able to go to different restaurants and have a few drinks and make a phone call for a ride back to the hotel. The hotel lounge is convenient as well with free appetizers during happy hour. The on site restaurant serves good meals and is a nice place to enjoy breakfast. The rooms are always clean for my stay. If there is one complaint I have had it is the heating/cooling in the rooms does not seem to be consistant.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your loyalty to our hotel, and for your feedback regarding your recent visit. And thank you for mentioning our Bellman, Bob. We think he's great too! I will be sure to pass your compliments along to him, as I know he is always working hard to provide great customer service to our guests. I am pleased that you find our rooms clean, and enjoy our in-house restaurant and lounge. We hope to see you again soon!

Thanks again for your feedback,

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel numerous time's but THIS time was a nightmare!! I called to book this room for a wrestling tournament I was happy to hear the price for two queen bed's was affordable. I booked with a prepaid card which I have done at this hotel and many other's numerous time's. No problem. We show up at about 7 pm on a Friday night with our 3 tired children and 6 bags. Only for the lady at the desk to rudely refuse to take our card. Saying it MUST be bank issued. My husband say's he will go get cash and she still says we need a bank issued card to secure our room. She finally says she can secure the room with our card but will take an extra $100 dollars and hold it for 30 days for any incidentals. Why wasn't that said in the first place? Why all the arguing in the lobby? Finally the room is booked. We were given the wrong door number to enter the hotel and ended up having to go up 3 flights of stairs with 3 kids and 6 suitcases to search for our room ! What happened to customer service? The room was ridiculously noisy because of the pool. We decided to take the kids to the pool water/park only to find it filled with a ton of children and very few caring adults. The hot tub was filled with about eight 2-6 year old's and one other adult . After seeing two children within an hour of arrival almost drown going down the water slide in the deep end of the pool we decided it was time to go. When back in our room we found our beds to be ridiculously uncomfortable and we did not sleep well at all. The bathroom was so small that if you sat on the toilet with the door open the door actually touched you. I would not stay at this hotel again or recommend it to anyone for any reason. I do however hope the hotel read's this and tries to fix all of these issue's.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel. Just don't stay here !!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family