“Grout and carpet filthy!”
Review of Ramkota Hotel

Ramkota Hotel
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Bismarck
Beulah
“Grout and carpet filthy!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The grout around the tub was missing and it was black. This was a sure sign of black mold. We waited until we got home to take a shower. I wasn't about to expose myself to black mold. The carpet in the room was stained and filthy. We had our one-year-old granddaughter come to visit and we couldn't allow her to be on the floor. I was really disappointed because we have stayed here before and it was fairly nice.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank WAYNNE A
Ramkotagm, Manager at Ramkota Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I truly apologize for the poor condition of the guest room during your recent stay. Also, I want to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I have shared your comments with our management team and with our housekeeping and maintenance staff so that we can work to improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is a break up review. I have been a repeat customer for over 10 years with the Bismarck Ramkota location and this review is a culmination of why I will no longer be staying at this hotel.
I recently stayed at the Ramkota over Thanksgiving weekend. This was actually "free" based off my last stay being a disaster. This weekend actually worse than all the other stays.
My last stay:
1. Booked Hotel online 2 weeks in advance, was charge full room rate on card 2 days later... called Ramkota to ask how long would it take for these rates to be reimbursed... and was told by "mandy" at the front desk that anything booked online can’t be reimbursed and that I should not have booked online and did not offer any sort of Can-do attitude on how to help me, did not ask my name or offer to look up my rates. Also told me I should never book thru trip advisor after I repeatedly told her that I booked directly thru the website and not thru trip advisor to the best of my knowledge.

2. Check in was busy, the gal that checked me in explained that it could take a couple business days even after the holidays for me to get reimbursed for my free hotel rooms. So awesome enough, my 2 day stay at $275 has now resulted in 70.00 of overdraft charges so I am sure glad it was "free". Can’t wait to see how long it takes for this to be reimbursed correctly... with also an additional 50.00 fee being pended, I am sure for some sort of deposit.

3. Checked into the hotel room, Ghetto. This doesn’t surprise me much, as most rooms have stains on walls, carpets, bathrooms ect. This specific room had rust stains in the bottom of the bathtub, stains on the throw pillows, and the fridge was just a random white mini fridge sitting in the room. The fridges only temperature was to freeze everything. Wind Gusts in Bismarck where around 40 MPH. The storm window was not fitted into the window correctly and was banging back and forth very loudly. We stuffed the coffee packets into the window frame to get it to stop banging back and forth as we had no answer from the front desk after calling.

4. Overheard from workers that the sewer/plumbing was backed up. Workers were having to walk in 3 inches of backed up sewer water. The employees thought that if the health department caught wind of this, who knows what would happen. The employees were clearly upset. I did not eat at this location, however the staff were voicing concerns of the cooking conditions during the backed up sewage (charging 30.oo a plate for Thanksgiving dinner) and that the bar was open forcing the employees to work in sewage conditions and serving food like this. They (the employees) were talking about how when the faucets were turned on that black water came out. We could smell the sewage smell the first night faintly in the hotel.

5. Our room smelled like rotten eggs. Everytime the toilet flushed it was unbearable. We shut the bathroom door as much as possible as this seemed to be the main sorce of the smell. We did not use the faucets to brush our teeth and instead used our bottles of water (the ones that weren’t frozen solid from being in the fridge). The day we checked out the front desk gal did ask us how our stay was and I said it would have been better had we not had sewage smell. I asked if others had complained and she said not a lot of people, and that the maintenance usually does something with the pipes. So maybe this isn’t a first time thing?

6. On the second night an ambulance was called as there was a man passed out in unresponsive in one of the hallways.

Problems with past stays these are organized by stay (over the past year 2012):
1. Reservations for poolside room lost in April 2012. Cleaning staff complaining loudly in the hallways using derogatory language on two separate days. Room was not cleaned the whole stay. Towels were taken from room, not replaced and room not cleaned. Had several out of town guests at this hotel. Each complained separately to me that rooms not made up and hallways had garbage in the hallways for days. 3 out of 7 room reservations were overcharged this weekend. Took several calls to get the manager to call me.

2. Booked a poolside room. Very hot summer. Air conditioner made loud rattling noises and barely worked. This hotel needs major upgrades in the heating and cooling area as the rooms have wall units. Injured my figure on the sliding door as it wouldn’t slide in the tracks appropriable. If you have kids/toddlers, make sure to bring “water socks” as the cement outside the pool is very very slippery when we many parents were commenting on this and do everytime we stay there. Also if you are swimming with children, bring your own towels in the last several stays they never have towels in the pool area and the towels are little and thin.

3. Standard Room after Poolside Reservation lost (common problem here over the last couple of years). Swam in pool for only part of the day, as when there are “feces” in the pool around 4pm, that closes it down until the next morning.
Overall, the main thing that had kept me coming back is that we have had many good years staying at this hotel. We like to come here because the pool has been toddler and kid friendly and the poolside area is huge and awesome for having our family come over for a pool party when we are in town.
There is a BUT to this as it is breakup and we will no longer be coming back. I wish you well, I look forward to any remodeling that you will be doing in the future to improve yourself and happiness of your staff.
Bismarck has grown there are newer hotels and that are better kept up. Please consider changing the star rating for this hotel as it certainly not reflective. Please take action on your management as this hotel needs major remodeling and cleaning.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows and a comfy blanket. All rooms that i have stayed in have poor temperature co...
1 Thank Rebecca S
Thank you for sharing your experience and I am sorry to hear that you will no longer be staying with the Best Western Plus Ramkota - Bismarck. I apologize that your credit card was charged prior to your stay. I have done some research on what may have caused this and it appears that your reservation was booked through Best Western online. The type of reservation that was booked was "Online Only" this is an advance purchase reservation so the credit card used to book the reservation was charged at the time of booking. Our reservation system did not show any note about the gift certificate. In the future if you are booking a reservation using a gift certificate I would recommend contacting the hotel directly so that they are able to input your reservation with that noted so that your credit card would not be charged for the stay.
Unfortunately during your stay we did experience a backup in our sewer system. The issue was resolved that same day and no guests or staff were in danger during this time.
We are constantly working to improve our facility and our guest experience. I want to thank you for helping us do that by sharing your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Bismarck hotels

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Very unhappy with the condition of the hotel. Garbage was everywhere in the mezzanine and were strange people coming in and out all night as security was not enforcing locked doors. A kid crapped in the pool and they did not shut it down or shock the pool. The staff was well aware of the feces in the pool.

1 Thank Tim S
Bismarck, North Dakota
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had stayed here and got two rooms for a night for my three year olds birthday party on Nov. 17th. Included in my stay I would by far say that this was the worst service and management I have ever received in my time out of the hundreds of hotels I have stayed. It took almost three hours past checkin time for my room to be cleaned with no apology what so ever by any of the employees. Next we had received the ugliest attitude from a blackjack dealer within the lounge but what tops the whole night off was to have a drunk guest barge into my room where there were three of my children trying to sleep and trying to steal our belongings and trash my child's bday gifts all over our room and then to have our stuff thrown into the hallway by her trying to have us thrown out of our room. Security was called and with the slowest response time ever for help they nicely escorted her back to her room with no repercussions what so ever. Still never an apology from any staff or offers of compensassion. This was the WORST TREATMENT I HAVE EVER RECEIVED OR WITNESSED WITHIN A HOTEL ESTABLISHMENT. Never ever would I stay here again or recommend this crap hole hotel to even my worst enemy in the world. Poor poor service and staff I have ever encountered. THANKS RAMKOTA FOR SCARING MY CHILDREN AND TREATING US WITH THE WORST SERVICE AND TREATMENT TOWARDS A PAYING GUEST.

Room Tip: Never ever stay here!!
1 Thank KristenDx
USA
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were supposed to stay here 2 nights, but checked out after one night.
We were greeted to a garbage overflowing with diapers and food when we entered our room. I called the front desk to have someone retrieve it, it took nearly an hour for someone to take it. The upholstered furniture was disgusting and was the floor. The bathroom had mold on the grout and odd colored stains in the bathtub.
Our furnace/AC didn't work properly and only blew cold. We almost froze all night as the room was extremely cold when we got into it.
This hotel needs a major over haul. There were lots of funky, stale smells in the hallways. It has seen its better day. The location is great, but for the price of what you get, it not worth it.

Wheatland, Wyoming
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Upon arriving in the evening we found the bathroom toilet, floor, and shower/tub had not been cleaned, the room had not been vacuumed (there was a french fry on the floor), a leg fell of the desk, and the air conditioner made an awful noise each time the compressor ran which kept me up all night. Called front desk in the morning and they moved us to another room where the fan on the air conditioner/heater would barely run. Called front desk and asked to speak to the Manager and was told he was gone until the following week. Decided that we had enough, checked out, and stayed at a very nice Radisson. Will not be staying at the Ramkota again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Derrick549
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We wanted a place to stay for the night while visiting some friends in Bismarck.

When I called and asked about rooms available there was a room with 2 queen beds for $119 the lady today me. Our card got charged $155. We where only allowed 5 wristbands so not everyone got to go swimming.

We had lunch at the hotel and the service and food was good. What was not good was the room service we ordered later one. Ordered at 8pm and waited and hour and still not here. I called and was told it was on its way. About 20 minutes later it was still not here. Husband goes down to check on it and they said "the order got skipped over and had not been made yet". They asked if we still wanted it and he said yes because we have hungry kids. The order finally showed up almost another hour later. It was hot.

I will not stay here again. I will skip the waterpark hotel and stay somewhere else.
The waterpark area is even to cold to swim in.

1 Thank Mommalittle