“Decent hotel for downtown location”

Radisson Hotel Bismarck
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in Bismarck
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Decent hotel for downtown location”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Client host recommended this hotel for a recent business visit. Front desk staff was well staffed even late at night, which was great. I got my key and got into my room quickly. I do know I had an updated room, which you definitely want to ask for if you stay here! No view but it was nice... Room 324. My assistant said her room was very old and had mold in places. The sleep number bed was OK -- I didn't sleep well on it though, surprisingly. Maybe though that was because you hear the train go by all night ;) Bring earplugs and use a white noise app on your phone. Room service breakfast was prompt and inexpensive and very good. I asked if they had a bathrobe I could use and they quickly found one and brought it up... amazing! Van driver was extremely courteous and helpful, giving us a ride to the conference center and wherever we needed to go.

My only feedback that needs to be addressed is that you need a separate key from the front desk to use the fitness center, but there is no sign on the fitness center to tell you that. So for a few minutes I kept trying my room key but it didn't work. When I went to front desk the (rude) woman said "oh you need a key". I told them how about a sign that says "See front desk for fitness center key..." Genius. Also their systems seem outdated... when we were trying to track down a charge and resolve an issue they pulled out index cards with notes on them!

But overall I hear this is about the best you'll get downtown. Good for what they promise.

Room Tip: Not sure if it matters, but you could try to ask for a room on other side of hotel from train tracks...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
lesch5, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bismarck, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review, hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Bottineau, North Dakota
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We were there for a couple of nights. Rooms are small - odd that the chair for the desk is so
big that you practically have to move it out of the way to get through the room. Disappointing that they do not have the NFL tv station as we were there on a Thursday night and couldn't watch the football game. Not even in the bar which is odd. WIFI was not very strong in our
room and took forever to connect. It was better downstairs in the bar which was a nice place.
They were friendly there. The front desk wasn't very friendly which is unusual for a Radisson.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
lesch5, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bismarck, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thanks for the review. We continue to upgrade the Hotel, we are in the process of redoing 67 rooms. I look forward to seeing you again. Thank you.
United States
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Had a good stay at this hotel. The room was clean with a huge and bright bathroom and the towels and linens were super white and crisp just like any Radisson we've stayed and I have now come to expect. There were two free water bottle in the room.  WIFI was strong and room had a 40" TV (I think), it was big nevertheless.

They had free parking at the parkade for hotel guests.  There was free coffee (no tea) at the lobby. There was a restaurant on the mainfloor but didn't try it. Would stay here again especially with Radisson/Club Carlson loyalty program.

• Stayed July 2012
lesch5, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bismarck, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thanks, glad you liked your stay. We look forward to your next visit with us.
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Before checking into the radisson, I did a little homework. The main complaints I saw were mainly about the "out of date rooms" and noise from the nearby train tracks. The room my husband and I stayed in was up to date...plasma screen tv included, and excellent showers. Growing up near train tracks myself, that didn't bother me either. We stayed from August 31 to September 3 for a wedding, so the location in downtown Bismarck was a plus- easy access to all the events we needed to get to.

What we did not appreciate was being awoken by housekeeping very early the first morning we were at the hotel... Not once, but twice. We had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. The housekeeper asked the second time he came around what time when were going so he could clean; we replied 1pm. The housekeeper felt the need to inform front desk we were checking out that day, which we were not. We later got a call from the front desk asking if we were indeed checking out early, and we said no, staying through Monday. The last night we were staying, we were yet again disturbed, not from housekeeping, but from adults getting rowdy in the hallways, and from the various "malfunctions" of the fire alarms, going off around 4am, 6am, 6:30am, and 7am. I had absolutely no sleep. Checked out of the hotel early around 8am, with no apologies for the alarms from the staff and no explanation either; the woman who checked us out was Cheryl. She seemed more interested in the printer than making sure the customers standing on front of her was taken care of. We will not be staying at the radisson again.

• Stayed September 2012
lesch5, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bismarck, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I want to thank you for your review. I will address your issues with the staff. I am sorry for the alarms and will see what went on. Your comments help us improve our operations and would only ask for another chance if ever in the area again. Thanks again for the review.

Travelers are raving about these Bismarck hotels

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel is undergoing a gradual overhaul and this stay I asked for and received a refreshed Executive King. The hall and room had recently been updated and clearly care had been taken to do it right. This is Bismarck, so posh and oppulent are not likely, but comfortable, clean and friendly are the order of the day. My first stay here was five years ago, the friendliness and cheerful staff are all that remain from that rather dreary first experience.

The room had all new fixtures, was newly painted, the bath had a marble countertop and the shower/tub and curtain were nicely updated. The sleepnumber bed remains and is a most welcome feature in contrast to some much higher end hotels in large cities and their subpar sleep offerings. The hall had new wallpaper, new lighting, new carpeting and is much cheerier than before. It appears the elevators have also been redone to good effect. One rather bizarre elevator feature is in the parking garage, which I am told the hotel does not own. The labeling of the floors in the elevator for the parking garage makes zero sense. Speaking of the garage, be extra cautious on entering because the narrow passage can damage your rental vehicle if you don't take it slowly.

Two minor downsides, the train noise is a bother if you're a light sleeper as the trains go through at all hours and they're just a couple of blocks away. I've heard that the city is attempting or working on some sort of remedy that would make this problem disappear. And, the last three times I've had breakfast in the Terrace, the bacon has been undercooked, and not just marginally. I didn't mention it to the waitress, I was short on time...be sure to say you want the bacon extra crisp or you might get it half raw as I did.

I give the hotel high marks for its updating, though it's not completed, it's getting there. The lobby could use an overhaul, but who spends a lot of time there? I will return to the Radisson and look forward to seeing the overhaul completed.

Room Tip: Ask for an Executive King...you may score a free upgrade
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
lesch5, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bismarck, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank You for the review. You are right we are updating many things this year as well as last year.
We like what we are doing, sorry about the train but working to get a quite rail system in place. Thanks for coming back and hope to see you again soon.
Renton, Washington
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Appears the motel is in process of a remodel as some floors look different than others, had issues with first room so they moved me even though the hotel was booked. The second room hadn't been remodeled the bathroom was subpar the hair dryer was shooting sparks when trying to use mold on the ceiling of the bathroom and then the room stank of old cigarettes eww
One of the two sleep number beds had nothing but issues, and they are very uncomfortable

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lesch5, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bismarck, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Sorry for your inconvenience regarding your stay. We try our best to make everyone happy.
If you could call me I would like to find out more about your stay and make sure the hairdryer
is replaced. I would not want to have anyone get hurt from that. Also the hotel is smoke free would
like to see your thoughts on this also. I want to thank you for your review this only helps us improve.
Texas
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

We had two rooms for two nights in August. Our first room was an executive room (sofa bed and chair in a sitting area) within the room. The second, was an executive plus room. Which had a sofa and chair as well, but the room and bathroom were even larger than the executive room. Both were upgrades from a standard room but the executive plus was definitely nicer and roomier! While it is obvious upon arrival that this property is older, the guest rooms themselves have been recently redone. Not just new bedding or other superficial updates, but extensive remodeling. New flooring, wall treatment, fixtures, furniture, etc... The rooms look brand-new! Very contemporary! It's never going to be a "top of the line" hotel but it is nice, clean and comfortable.

All staff were Freindly and professional. Check-in and out was speedy and correctly executed. The guest rooms were spotless, but the lobby needed attending...trash cans - always full, overflowing. The restaurant had a nice Sunday brunch offering, inexpensive as well. The parking garage connected to the hotel is convienent but so tight and narrow - poor design for mini-vans, trucks and SUV's. A welcomed addition would be automated doors in the lobby...small, manual doors are just a nuisance when traveling to a hotel.....motel, maybe. But not a large hotel. Radisson, please upgrade this area....

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
lesch5, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Bismarck, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank your for your comments. Allways nice to see some notice some of our upgrades.
I will take your other comments to the rest of the staff to help us fine tune our opperation.
Thanks again and hope to see you again.