Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Staff and conditions great

Caring staff, love of animals apparent. Conditions of zoo well cared for. Staff remained wonderful... read more

Reviewed August 9, 2021
Typemed
Compared to other zoos we’ve visited, we recommend the Dakota Zoo

During my visit, I observed a large company picnic / bouncy games for kids / scavenger hunt / live... read more

Reviewed August 1, 2021
Z9726ZElisad
via mobile

All reviews big cats farm animals petting area bison gift shop all ages in town otters cages exhibits camel playground lynx species paths picnic kid
Selected filters
Reviewed April 30, 2017

I was a docent at a rather large, big city zoo for over a decade, so I have to say i'm a "zooie". This isn't the most modern, the most spacious, or the most PETA-friendly zoo, but the layout was easy-to-follow, the signage informative and plentiful, the new enclosures thoughtful, safe, and animal-friendly, and the collection diverse. I've been to many, many zoos, and this was the closest I've ever been to Bengal tigers (they have three)! One even sprayed the window where I was standing! Other animals in the collection include: coati mundis, red and swift foxes, pumas, snow leopards, grizzly bears, grey wolves, bactrian camels, lynx, saimangs, spider monkeys, red tailed hawks, bison, lion and cotton-top tamarins, lemurs, and pronghorns. I was solo, but it certainly looked child-friendly with a train, several playgrounds, and a discovery center. It's right along the river and near a large park, so you can hike or go view the river when you're done. For $7.50 for adults, this was a bargain.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed April 26, 2017 via mobile

We're members of the zoo and go often. We enjoy all the animals at the zoo especially the otters, primates, tigers & grizzly bears. Take the train for a great overview of the whole zoo. Don't forget to feed the goats!

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed April 12, 2017

This is a very well kept up zoo. The kids love it. Staff is friendly. Has a nice gift shop. Has a great park right next to it to have a little picnic lunch afterwards.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed March 14, 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed the walking paths and animals. Young children really enjoyed "monkey house". After we walked the course, we took the train ride and covered the grounds once again! Enjoyable day, staff we encountered were very pleasant.

Date of experience: October 2016
Reviewed March 13, 2017

We had a fabulous afternoon as a family. The zoo is always a wonderful attraction that keeps children interested. There are many places to stop and rest, as well as concessions, and a train ride. The children can purchase "snacks" to feed the animals. There is also a "barn" you can go into which holds educational exhibits for the children to participate in. I would highly recommend Dakota Zoo to anyone who is interested in an afternoon outing.

Date of experience: August 2016