“visit”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2014

food, service and attentiveness very good. wait time was fine as we arrived a bit early. would return

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our friends love this place so they invited me after I had my little girl. Well, being a new mom I walk in with a stroller and was dressed conservative but not dressed up. I think I look nice when I go out but I guess I was not up to their standards. As we were waiting for my friends to get there because my hubby was out of town. Not to mention it was hard to find a parking spot not fun when you are a new mom. The hostess treated me like a was beneath her! The funny part is our group of friends we all dress down but I can tell you, not that money matters, but the people we were with owns 3 houses they are young and you would never know their income. We were not treated "nice" and I was really offended by the way the hostess treated me awful. I don't expect to be treated like royalty or for anybody to do anything for me but show a person respect. I was standing by the bar because she walked over to me and told me I needed to move because I was blocking the entrance with my stroller. The entry is not very big so when I moved I was standing beside the bar and she snapped at me and said you can't be in the bar with a baby, lol!! Really darn I was hoping I could get a shot of tequila since I had an infant and was breast feeding. People seriously need to think about how they treat others. Glad I left this town it was full of very rude people! I can say of all our travels Bismarck had the rudest people other than Madison Indiana! And it make the list of favorite places to visit, lol! Anyway........Bismarck is beautiful and I did meet some great people rescued some amazing dogs that were severely abused and had the most amazing daughter in the world born there. It will always have a special place in my heart but they don't really get out much there and manners are not always there! My husband didn't believe me when I told him people would just run into me pregnant even at the stores until he was with me. It's the craziest thing ever! I could be walking, huge big pregnant girl, and they would just bump into you not hold doors and not even say sorry or excuse me! Anyway.........the food was okay nothing special but you have to consider the location. There is not really that many places to eat and we tried to eat at all of the unique places, not chains. I wouldn't go back but the locals think this place is amazing but half of them have never lived outside of Bismarck. Oh and they were not busy only a few tables filled so I am not sure why I was treated so rude like I was in everyone's way! Actually nobody even came in when I was there just my friends that we were waiting for!

8  Thank puntagirl33
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Tripadvisor reviewers have rated the Pirogue Grille as the Number 1 restaurant in Bismarck. It deserves the rating. I was warmly welcomed and seated immediately, even though they appeared very busy. The place is tremendously well organized. While the name is French the place has more of an international flavor.

I ordered the Alaskan king salmon. Ever since my trip to Alaska I’ve been nuts about king salmon. For my taste buds other salmons just don’t measure up. The menu said it came with pumpkin seed sauce, but mine came with wasabi. I don’t like wasabi so I scraped it off. I had rice pilaf and veggies to go with it. All of it was excellent, though the bread was a bit bland.

I had two glasses of chardonnay, though I must admit I’ve forgotten what kind.. The selection of wines by the glass is a bit limited but offers good quality.

For dessert they had a special… sticky toffee pudding! Britain’s gift to the culinary world! It was less spicy than the traditional British version, but still very tasty.

The waitress was cheerful and efficient. When I left I was thanked by the hostess and invited to come again. Next time I’m in Bismarck I definitely will.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

We walked the city in the early afternoon checking out restaurants. We peeked in to Pirogue to see what it looked like and the owner opened the door to speak to us and give us a menu although they were not yet open. We were intrigued and it just got better from there. We returned for dinner that evening, starting at the bar, where the bartender and all the servers took great care of us, listening to our stories, to our trip and engaging us in the action. We moved to a table for dinner and were presented with a box of crayons to doodle on the paper tablecloth. We ordered Lamb chop and Bison and both were outstanding. The restaurant is casual cozy, the staff enjoys working there and is very attentive and the owners (chef and his wife) are delightful - you can tell it is a labor of love. We travelled to 9 States in 3 weeks, covering 4000 miles and many restaurants. This one remains at the top of our list and is held dear in our memories. If you are in town, do yourself a favor and visit this exceptional place - for the people, for the food, and for a lovely experience.

1  Thank MafaldaNordica
Reviewed October 25, 2013

that's what you'll often hear, and it is deserved, very good food, interesting menu and good service

1  Thank DallasLonghorn