“Worth going to”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I spent 3 nights in Bismarck recently and found the Pirogue Grille via TripAdvisor. It is usually good information on that website and so I hunted the place down.

It was very busy that night....a Saturday night, but the hostess (manager?) saw to it that I was seated within ten minutes, even with no reservation. The atmosphere is fun, warm and inviting, and my server was with me in no time at all, and very friendly.

I asked a few questions about the menu and she answered all I wanted to know. I am normally a Caesar Salad fan, but ordered the beet and goat cheese salad, to try something new. She then brought me a sample of the Caesar Salad dressing, which was really pretty good for restaurant made dressing. However, I was glad I ordered the beet and goat cheese salad. It came with a balsamic vinegar reduction drizzled over and around it, and was really quite good. The beets were cubed and sandwiched a slice of goat cheese.

For my entree I ordered the scallops in curry sauce. It was good, and I was fairly well satisfied. My personal taste would have put a little more zing into it...some ginger, or peppers, or something. The curry was fairly mild, and was made with cream, making it very rich. The scallops were sauteed nicely on one side, and served golden side up.

Positive: a nice atmosphere with great service. The menu selection was good...something for everyone.

Negative: Like many restaurants, the bread was a let down. I love it when I find a place that serves home made bread with great crust and lots of character within, and this unfortunately didn't cut it. The curry could have been more "zingful" and for 27.00 I would have liked more than 5 scallops. This was the sort of place I expected to pay 80.00 (which I did, with the tip), but the prices were just a little ahead of the food. Two great glasses of wine, one zin, one cab, at 15.00 each, which was fine, but...as I said, a little ahead, pricewise.

I would go back. I WILL go back, next time I am in town!

1  Thank gjleo049

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Pirogue Grill has a warm feel to it. The waitress was new but very friendly and went out her way to welcome us. The menu is varied and has a bent favoring dishes with local foods. I started with walleye prepared three ways and had the lamb loin as a main dish. The three fish preparations were somewhat diminutive but nicely flavored. The lamb loin was decent sized, nicely flavored with Moroccan spices and accompanied by mixed vegetables, and a squash-potato blend. My wife had venison sausage that was delicious and a New York Strip with a Bourbon-Mustard sauce that was excellent, though the meat was a but more done than our preference. We shared the peanut butter pie for desert. It was a perfect blend of sweet and salty with a pronounced peanut butter flavor. The Jeremiah cab was a nice accompaniment.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Had dinner at Pirogue Grill while in town on business.
The food was very good, as was the service!
Full dinner tab for 3, including tip, was about $225.
I had the Parmigiano-Reggiano crusted walleye, and it was very good!
The atmosphere was nice. Would make a great date night dinner choice!
The only thing I didn't like, and it seems to be the trend now, is the paper covered table with supplied crayons. I prefer a table cloth.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

We went with another couple to celebrate and we arrived at our reserved time. Our table was ready and we had two very attentive wait staff. I ordered the special of beef tips and mushrooms in a demi glace sauce with potatoes. I didn't lick the plate (but I wanted to). Some tasty appetizers and excellent deserts (sampler). All homemade and all excellent. Alcohol drinks are on the high side $10-15 per beverage, but everything else seemed to be what you would expect from a tasteful, made from scratch restaurant. We'll be back.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Unique food and menu. A very nice fine dining experience. Great atmosphere and service too. Great martinis!!