“Great hotel, great service”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Bismarck South
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Bismarck
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed there two nights in July. The hotel was very easy to find from the airport.
The appearance was good. The front dest was very friendly and highly competent.
We had two rooms. They were spacious and very clean. The breakfast was good enough. High speed internet was there... but, slow. The pool was good enought. We enjoyed it very much. There are places to eat all around.
Skip the Space Aliens. The food was just as good as what you find In Fridays, which
is around the corner from the hotel. The service at Space Aliens was below average, with the wait staff dropping dishes and spilling food over people.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TRAVELFREAKONE
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites Bismarck South

Reviewed July 25, 2009

Not a bad place...convenient to stores, restaurants. Generally quite clean and the staff was very friendly.

They are undergoing some renovations and perhaps that explained it, but the hot tub was luke warm at best....we mentioned this to the manager in passing day 1 - nothing done about it even by day 4.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank drkahless
Reviewed June 14, 2009

On my way to a family reunion I stayed at this facility and found that it by far with it's newly remodeled building to be the best motel in over 2,100 miles that I'd traveled. Customer service was great and the maintenance personel was prompt and highly skilled in running this facility, to include helping me with my personal home needs.
WILL VISIT AGAIN!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank BlueEyesTexas
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We redeemed Marriott Rewards for this stay. Our one big complaint is there is no airport shuttle to this property or to the Fairfield North. The other hotels nearby do offer an airport shuttle. When we called the Fairfield they simply said "Most of our guests drive here."

Otherwise, the property was OK. The location nearby the Kirkwood Mall was helpful, as there were more dining choices within walking distance. McDonald's was next door, but no odors noticable.

The breakfast was a treat with peaches, strawberries and whipped cream for the waffles (made 4 small ones instead of 1 large one). The offerings were healthy and presentation was pleasing. It was quite clean as well.

Loved the fruit at check-in, especially the pears. Computer with internet and printer available for free use in the lobby.

Room was clean although seemed a little cramped, but we had a king bed, nice chair and ottoman, desk and chair. Shower was great with premium showerhead.

Staff were very friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dangrad
Reviewed August 25, 2008

I stayed at his Fairfield Inn, with my wife and 9-year-old son, on our way through North Dakota. I found this hotel to be clean, quiet, and the staff was very accomodating. The desk clerk upgraded me from a double queen room to a spacious king w/sofa sleeper room, at no extra charge.

It is close to the Interstate, and features a nice small indoor swimming pool (the poolside wireless internet access is a plus for me. I like to bring my laptop to the pool while my son swims.)

I recommend this location, and would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank dlmarcou
Reviewed September 21, 2007

Overall, a great stay! Was on a roadtrip across the country and booked this the same day. Called ahead to ensure we could get a nonsmoking room, and were informed that all rooms were nonsmoking.

Upon arrival, we were greeted warmly by two front desk clerks who had us checked in quickly and who explained the features of the hotel. Although this is not a brand-new property, the room was clean and comfortable, and also very quiet. We were pleased to see that the bedspreads were white and striped, instead of the usual suspect plastic/poly spreads (that you suspect are rarely washed if ever). For a dash of color there was a throw on the end of each bed. The beds seemed newer and were very comfortable.

Wireless internet worked fine, which is a huge plus. Did not use the pool or other facilities. However, we enjoyed the breakfast, which had not only a make-your-own waffle station, but also cereal, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, muffins and pastries, egg & sausage breakfast sandwiches, and a fairly surprising assortment of juices and other items. This was great as we were anxious to hit the road and didn't want to stop to eat.

Particularly considering the great same-day rate we got on Priceline, we were extremely pleased with this stay. Not a luxury hotel by any means, but the complimentary breakfast and no-charge wireless internet make properties like this a great value.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dpenta
Reviewed October 15, 2006

Stayed here, for one night, while en route from New Jersey to my home in Wyoming.

Basically, if one arrives in time to cancel, without a penalty (or, if you don't mind foregoing one night's rent) you might want to look elsewhere for lodging if you can determine a large group is staying here. A "tip-off" might be a school bus, or chartered bus, parked in the parking lot, or nearby. A school bus was clearly visible, and parked in the street in front of the hotel during my stay. There was a state championship high school soccer play-off in Bismarck during my stay. One of the teams stayed at this hotel. For anyone who had an early meeting the next day, the presence of this group, most likely, would have posed a problem. Loud conversation in the hallways and slamming of doors continued until midnight. Fortunately, I could afford to "sleep-in." So, by rising at 8:00 AM, I got a sound night's sleep.

As a practical matter, wireless internet service is NOT available,
unless you have a sensitive USB adapter (ie: a Hawking "mini-dish.") Requesting a room on the first floor (if there are any
available) may improve your wireless reception. I was on the third floor. When connecting to the hotel's network, choose "Golden Tree." The box, on my laptop, identifying the available networks in this hotel, displayed about SIX networks--although only "Golden Tree" works (badly, in my case.)

Unless there are a small number of people staying in this hotel, SKIP THE BREAKFAST. Nothing is prepared. There are frozen waffles--and ONE toaster for the whole hotel. The soccer team came-up with a good idea. There is a well-stocked supermarket across the street. They bought their own bread and other items compatable with the cooking appliances in the breakfast area, and prepared their own food. There is also a Perkins (Pancake House) Family Restaurant about 100 feet away. Just don't go there on a weekend, unless you don't mind a long wait.

I did make a comment about the internet service to a desk clerk when I checked-out. From talking with this clerk I got the impression complaints may not be responded to--as suggested by a previous review. While polite, this clerk appeared to be either in, or just out of, high school. Accordingly, it looks like the only "counter" job offer this person may have had when she got her job, was at McDonalds.

On the positive side, the room was very spacious for the price. The room was clean, and the heating/cooling unit worked properly and noiselessly.

There is a pool, but indoor only.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple