“As close to what I imagine Real German food is.”
Review of The German Restaurant - CLOSED

The German Restaurant
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Yadkinville, North Carolina
“As close to what I imagine Real German food is.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have eaten in several German restaurants in different cities across the US and this as goods as I have had.

• Visited October 2013

“Disappointed”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We traveled an hour to this restaurant. When we walked in we counted approximately 10 tables. 4 were dirty with dishes piled up. The other 6 were occupied. There was 1 waitress/host/cashier. We sat down to a dirty table. 20 mins later it was cleared off and our water and Goulash was ordered. The goulash came out but did not have any cheese or onion as pictures above. The goulash was good though. It tasted like beef tips. The waitress kept apologizing over and over . After about 4 more parties entered the owner came out and turned 2 additional parties away. Citing lack of food and no help. The salad was a conglomeration of leafy lettuce, beets, carrots, and green beans. It says served with a house dressing. It was good. My husband said it "taste like it came from a can." We ordered the Cordon Bleu a la Wes baden and the Creme Schnitzel. The creme Schnitzel was good. My husband said the cordon bleu was just "Ok." I wanted to try the sauerkraut and red cabbage. However, the service was so slow that I was scared to ask for anything else. The waitress did the best she could. I would recommend you find out how many servers are available if you call. Also, find out if they are busy. Several travelled far to get turned away. The food was good. I'm not sure that we will go back though.

• Visited January 2014
Durham, North Carolina
“Delicious German dinner”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

October 24, 2013
We found this restaurant by googling German food as we were driving down I-40. We were two hours from home and it is our habit to do this search as we love German cuisine and can't get authentic German where we live. We had hiked in the mountains that day so I called to ask if our casual attire would be OK (it is) and we were encouraged by the German accent because it gave us expectations of a great meal. We were glad I had read that it was in the countryside because we might have thought it to be another GPS mistake otherwise.

We were greeted by a very nice lady who was knowledgable about the dishes and who continued to give us excellent service throughout. The restaurant is spotlessly clean (bathroom included) and we enjoyed the German memorabilia and the background music really gave the German feel.

If you don't know German food you might be surprised by the "salad" because it isn't iceberg lettuce with tomatoes, carrots, cucumber, etc. It's the real deal and delicious. We ordered different types of schnitzel and both were perfectly cooked - tender and juicy and the breading was perfect. The spaetzle was excellent and they serve what I believe is the best red cabbage we have had since we were in Germany. The portions are generous and when offered dessert we declined as we were really full but then had the idea to take it with us. The desserts change day-to-day and I'm sure they are all delicious but we can't imagine one better than the Walnut Cake! It is indescribable and without a doubt the best cake we have ever had.

I almost forgot to mention that the owner came out to speak to us and she was delightful and very welcoming. We had a nice discussion about her native country and her commitment to serve only truly authentic dishes.

It will be a four hour round trip for us to go back but we absolutely will do so and likely often.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Ellen C
Wilmington, North Carolina
“So-so German food”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We made a detour on our trip to NC mts this weekend...on Sunday for lunch. We had the goulash with spatzle, which was spicy to me...my husband can tolerate spicy, not me. The picture on Tripadvisor is what we had.

The service was slower than we liked. But our bellies were full when we left.

I'd recommend this restaurant, but I don't think it was worth the detour.

• Visited September 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
“German Cuisine As Authentic As It Gets”
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Who would have believed it - a very, very nice, authentic German restaurant outside of Yankinville? This is a tiny, unpretentious place, on a rural road, surrounded by houses and farm land - you must trust your GPS system on this one. This restaurant was included in the issue of OUR STATE MAGAZINE that featured 100 things you must eat in North Carolina, published in the summer of 2010, IIRC. The Wiener Schnitzel served here was the food item selected for Yadkin County

There is a spartan, functional air to this place, which has less than 15 tables available. There are pictures of German sites on the walls, with German bricabrack on shelves along one wall. The tables and chairs are of the cafeteria variety, servicable but not particularly built for comfort over the long haul.

When I called to find out if they were open on Sundays for lunch, I was immediately encouraged by the relatively heavy German accent of the lady's voice on the answering machine - and yes, they're open for lunch only one day a week, and that is Sunday - and the unrependent foodies were off.

They offer a very limited menu, with a few American items scattered among the German dishes. They offer 3 different schnitzels (each pork) - the classic Wierner Schnitzel, a Hunter's version with a brown gravy, and a version with a cream gravy. They also have German Goulash and Bratwurst, which are made in house, as is the Sauerkraut.

Most of the entrees are accompanied by a side dish, and a cold Germany salad composed of marinated carrots (outstanding), pickled beets (also great), marinated green beans (canned, but very nicely marniated), and lettuce with a creamy German style dressing. This is tasty, and is nicely presented.

The Wiener Schnitzel came out perfectly fried, with a lovely brown crust, and was absolutely delicious - this dish is so easy to overcook and be served dry, but not here. We ordered the Pan Fried Potatoes as the side for this, and they were very thinnly sliced, fried to perfection, had no onions present, and were the best pan fried potatoes I've ever eaten.

Our other entree was the German Goulash - marniated beef, beautifully stewed in a rich, wine infused gravy, served in a large bowl with made in house spaetzle and a slice or two of raw onion. Another total winner, the beef was so incredibly tender, it simply melted in your mouth. This is a rich, filling dish, and most folks will probably end up taking some home with them. Bread is served with this entree, but it is obviously a purchased product and added little to this excellent dish.

We also ordered a couple of Bratwurst and an side of kraut to go, to be enjoyed later, perhaps even during the family cocktail hour this very evening. The service here was excellent, the owner's daughter actually waited on us, and was a delight. The entrees with a sald an a side dish run around $12, not exactly cheap, but worth it in my mind.

If you enjoy simple, authentic, perfectly prepared German food, this should be a destination place for you. It is a simple place well off the beaten path, with a compact menu, and limited ambiance, but worth the effort if this kind of food appeals to you.

• Visited January 2011