“Perfect Location”
Review of Surf Suites Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Wrightsville Beach
Surf Suites Motel
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We really enjoyed our weekend stay at The Surf Suites and will absolutely be back. The location is unbeatable. Right on the beach, right near the pier and The Oceanic. The location is great for beachfront, proximity to great dinner, and the ability to use the pier as shade! The staff was very friendly and very helpful. The room was very clean. Nothing fancy but having the kitchen was great and having the separate room vs. just a hotel room was so nice! We were on the first floor, and it was so convenient. The only disadvantage was that it was a little loud at night with people outside. Nothing major at all though. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank nakt

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We all take a chance when we decide to stay at an independent rather than a chain hotel/motel. I should have written a review about this place after our stay in 2010, just as I should have written a review for the thirty some hotels I've stayed in the past year, but I haven't. I feel sorta guilty about that, but we all do what we have time to do. I'll try to do better.
In any event, we obviously came back. The stay in 2010 was a great, last minute stay. This last visit was even better not only because of the suite that we had that appeared completely renovated or either extremely well kept, but because of Dave, the clerk who not only helped me on the phone but also checked me in today. When I first made the reservation and it was confirmed via email I was disappointed to find that I was assigned to the first floor. I tried to email about it but their servers were down so I called and spoke to Dave. He handled the call both friendly and professionally and reassigned us a room on the fourth floor....a dream wish come true.

When you enter from the front outside hallway using a real key (management might want to rethink this one in this day and age and I'll have to deduct a star....we hid our valuables and electronics when we left the room) there is a bedroom on the left (in our case) with a king bed. A nicely appointed bath is attached with a real ceiling fan! Amazing what the simple pleasures in life can bring.

Further down the hallway you come to the main room facing the ocean (this facility has all the suites oceanfront) that houses a kitchen with micowave, full size oven , full size fridge, dish washer and sink. There is a table with three? chairs for eating however one of the other chairs in the suite could be used for extra seating There is a large flat screen tv (my only beef was that when I tried to attach my own hdmi input it was a true pain, but it can be done), a queen sofabed and sliding glass door with screens leading out to a nice-sized balcony with plenty of comfortable furniture. The main room is spacious. Plenty of room. The floors in the entire suite are tile. No carpet....and ours were freshly washed.

The hotel is separated only by some bushes and sand from the Oceanic Restaurant. The beach itself is pristine with lots of shells and a favorite destination for surfers. At some point this afternoon we counted over 46 surfers in a half-mile stretch.

This is a great place for a quick romantic escape (we sat on the balcony and ate a take-out crab dip from the Oceanic and drank wine and watched the surfers) or a great week stay with two or three kids. Highly recommended. As upscale and much roomier than anything else in the area. There is no restaurant attached, but why would you need it?

Thanks again for your help Dave!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, away from elevator. Bring some bagged ice. There is not an ice machine that...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank RMH27707
Reviewed March 30, 2012

We have stayed a Surf Motel Suites several times. It is clean, roomy and affordable. Has a seaside view. Kitchenettes available with decent continental breakfast. Surf Motel Suites rocks!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mac S
Reviewed March 10, 2012

This is a beautifully furnished beachfront condo. It was exceptionally clean and well-furnished. The management told me that all the condos are owned individually, but decorated the same.

This condo is on the south end of Wrightsville Beach and is in a quiet residential area. You are surrounded by other condos and homes. There are not really shops or restaurants that are in walking distance, but this keeps it quieter.

My only complaint about this place is the sofa bed in the living room was uncomfortable. I know that is a common complaint with sofa beds and they don't stay in good shape very long. This one has coil springs, which were hard on our teen aged boys. Younger kids would probably not be bothered.

Even with this concern, I would stay here again. It was clean, furnished nicely, perfect location, and the staff was wonderful.

Room Tip: You get a better view if you are up higher. Ask if you can get a room with a newer sofa bed.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank NorthernCindy
Reviewed January 5, 2012

You can't beat this! A "motel", roomy with a kitchen, on the beach, unbelievable price, a pool, great service, cleanliness, amenities, and location away from other hotels. Could not have found a better place! Simple and perfect. Off season is the time to go!

Room Tip: Avoid ground floor because you won't get a full view of the beach and ocean.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank Patty B
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Have a soft spot for animals? How about a soul? Then avoid Surf Suites at all costs.

Wrightsville Beach is a small, sleepy little town, especially at this time of year, and it's hard not to see and hear everything that happens around you. Last night, I happened to see another guest of the Surf Suites check in, lock his dog in a car, and promptly retreat to his room for the night. When I saw that the windows of the car were completely closed, I called the front desk to report the guest.

Despite their claim that the staff is "renowned for their friendliness and service," the half-asleep man who answered could not have possibly cared less. Yes, it was late, but at the rates Surf Suites charges, I would hope they can afford an overnight representative capable of assisting customers.

The man did absolutely nothing, and actually told me that, while pets are not allowed *in* rooms, they don't have a policy on keeping animals in parked cars, even if the conditions are unsafe, and wouldn't do anything. I was dumbfounded by his attitude and sheer complacency/lack of concern for the issue. If you can't even feign compassion or guest service in this situation, on-premise animal cruelty is, at the very least, a liability that should have been addressed by the hotel.

I'm fully aware that Surf Suites does not allow pets in the rooms, but that should not translate into utter disregard for the life of an animal being neglected on their premises.

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Melanie J
Reviewed November 11, 2011

This was a great place to stay on Wrightsville Beach. The price for an oceanfront room was less than I found at the other beachfront hotels and the room was clean and has a full kitchen! The only downside is that they only have king size beds with a pullout so it's not good for families with children wanting to say in the same room

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Wilmington Mayfaire Town Center
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville ...
#2 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Blockade Runner Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Wrightsville Beach

Been to Surf Suites Motel? Share your experiences!