“ok hotel. Very small rooms if you have kids..”

Shell Island Resort
Atlanta, Georgia
“ok hotel. Very small rooms if you have kids..”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Nice Hotel, clean. If you have kids, this is not the hotel for you due to space. The rooms are very small. We booked a King Suite and we have 3 adults and 2 kids. Way too small, on top of each other. Not many other options on Wrightsville beach though, unless you can find a house. Would recommend, just not to a family with kids.. Also walls are thin and room above us was very loud. Great Views of Ocean and sound.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
NC
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We had been to Wrightsville Beach before, but this was our first time staying at Shell Island Resort. It was just perfect for us. The location is exquisite, the staff was friendly, and the cleaning staff kept up with all of our sandy mess. :) I had worried after reading negative comments on here, but I didn't experience anything negative at Shell Island. I was very impressed with the genuine friendliness of all of the staff. I see that as a mark of good management when staff seem to be REALLY happy and relaxed. The resort was extremely clean, bright, and attractive. We loved having 1 1/2 bathrooms. Generally, we only have one bath on a vacation, and the addition of this half bath was just amazing, especially with kids. We ate dinner in the resort one night -- that was probably our least favorite part. Service was exceptional. The food was good, but not great. Otherwise, it was just a wonderful vacation. We loved our room, the TVs, the kitchen and the high speed Internet. We loved the pool. We loved the beach front access. Would we stay there again? Definitely! Would we recommend to friends? Let's just say I have put out the word on Facebook to my friends that this is a great place to stay.

new york
Reviewed July 12, 2010

the staff is super friendly. they ever allowed us to checkin before checkin time. the room is as described the only problem is very little closet space, that is when your the only guy traveling with girls. the rooms has all the home away from home things you need.it's right on the beach which is never crowded.there is also a Restaurant on the first floor that was pretty good for lunch.

McLeansville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My husband, 12 yr. old son, and I stayed here for two nights. We just returned home from our trip, so I decided to write a review while things were still fresh in my memory. First of all, I was totally panicked about staying at this hotel from all of the negative reviews, about the rooms being dirty, water smelling bad, hotel staff, you know all of the negatives! Well here is my review.

Hotel staff-top notch, very pleasant, friendly, helpful, and really great!
Housekeeping-were really hardworking, and excellent! Anything that we needed was taken care of pronto! On our second day, I became ill and when housekeeping came in, she even asked if there was anything that she could get for me to help me feel better! (now that's great service, unfortunately I was too sick to get her name)
Room-the bed was soooo comfortable, and the view was very relaxing and great!
Hotel restaurant-I would like to give kudos to Brittany our server, and Shannon the bartender...she makes the best drinks!! The food was okay, not great, I have to be honest, but they give you super sized portions, and the fees are what you would expect from a hotel restaurant.
Hotel parking-Nice covered parking garage, and the spaces aren't crammed on top of one another. We have an SUV and had ample space, plus it's right beside of the hotel, no crossing the street.
Hotel exterior-sleek design, clean and inviting.
Hotel interior-floors were clean, and lobby was comfortable and inviting.

Now for the things that need improvement-We had a nicely appointed room, but the furniture could use some updating and it would look even better if the furniture had a thorough shampooing. The refrigerator was somewhat dirty around rim, and the room smelled of smoke when we arrived. Housekeeping came up within 5mins of my calling, sprayed Lysol, cleaned the refrigerator again and were VERY apologetic about everything. My son has asthma and I was afraid that the cigarette smoke would make him sick.

The room has everything that you need, a television with a built-in DVD player in the living room area, and one in the bedroom. Dishes, coffee maker, blender, mini refrigerator, two burner stove top, microwave, no oven, eating utensils, pots, pans, paper towels, dish liquid, no dishwasher, dish cloth, dish towel, iron, ironing board, and a killer view of the ocean! Nice balcony, although we couldn't enjoy it for the people above us on the 7th floor, who kept stomping and smoking so we had to go inside. They sounded like they were dragging something across the floor around 11:15 pm the first night, but this is not the hotels fault, so I don't blame them!

We had a one bedroom end unit, so we had the best of both worlds, a view of the ocean and the marshland around us. The hotel is located on a dead end street so the beach is more secluded than most places. The biggest problem we had was the drain in the tub would not drain properly, and that is not to cool when you've been in sand and trying to take a shower. But plenty of hot water, and I guess that I'm used to chlorine, because there wasn't any sulfur smell that either of us could detect. And they use Bath & Body Works products if you don't have your own. They give you plenty of bath towels and they aren't dingy or worn looking either. You should be aware that because they have the spa tubs, they are a bother climbing in an out of, if there is an elderly family member traveling with you, please be aware of that detail. There was a small laundry room with a washer and dryer on our floor (6th) if we needed it, and an ice machine and vending machine. Ample closet space in the suite for our needs, and all types of sightseeing guide books, phone books, and other brochures in the room and in the lobby area.

Big plus...the hotel has free internet access! And if you forget your laptop, you can go into the business room and use one of theirs. Don't expect a big gift shop, it's basically a closet with supplies, but; very well stocked supplies if you need anything. The main hotel windows could use a good cleaning, but other than the rude people above us, the room smelling like smoke, ( which they offered to move us if we wanted to be moved), the slow drain in the bathroom, and the two weddings which caused people to be overly loud from drinking which really didn't last past a decent hour, and some person attempting to skinny dip in the pool...it was a great place to stay!

Did I say that the beach was AWESOME...AND CLEAN!!!!

We will definitely be returning, and thanks to Bill and I believe it's Marline if I misspelled it please forgive me. They were great at the front desk, and the bellhop guys were wonderful also! Loved it!!

1 Thank BCutlerFosque
Indiana
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Before I get into the dirty details, I have to commend the staff at this hotel. Everyone is friendly and helpful. They are the backbone of this "resort" and I commend them.

For $300 a night I expected much better than what I got. The rooms are cramped. You get one bedroom with two full beds, one and half baths, a sofa sleeper, a table with four chairs, two side chairs, and a kitchenette. The kitchenette consisted of a stovetop, microwave, sink, and mini-refrigerator. The bedroom has a small flat screen TV and the main room has a wide-screen flat-screen with blu-ray player. There is a small balcony with barely enough room for two people to sit. I can't imagine staying there more than a night or two. Certainly not for a week's vacation. For $300 a night you can rent a really nice condo for the week.

However, the room was clean and looked well-maintained. The only complaint is that one of the toilet levers had to be pushed down for a several seconds for the toilet to work properly. Everything else was in good order and clean, and looked like it has been recently remodeled, but they sure didn't spend much money on the furnishings. The beds were comfortable and we got a good night's sleep.

As you would expect, the pool is small and unremarkable. The whirlpool was out of order while we were there and there seemed to be no effort to fix it. There is also a small indoor pool which the children seemed to enjoy. Yet, it never seemed crowded. The drinks at the pool bar were outrageously expensive - $7.50 and up. You don't have to worry about drunks by the pool. The towel exchange works great. You get a plastic card for each person in your room. You return the towel to get a clean towel, or to get your card back if you're done for the day. The house rules says you will get charged $10 for each card you don't turn in at checkout, but nobody kept track of that.

We ordered food by the pool and it was fantastic! The nachos were great, a nice pile of toppings on top of home-style potato chips. I had the Cuban sandwich and it was very tasty, I assume it's the same inside the restaurant. I recommend it.

What this "resort" offers is location., The beach is the best anywhere. It is truly "beach front" property right on the dunes. The beach is not crowded at all, and we were there for the July 4th weekend. Nice long beach walks. What a great beach for such an average "resort." Of course you have everything Wilmington has to offer just a short drive over the bridge. I recommend the Bluewater.

If this resort was under $200 a night it would be a fantastic bargain. At about $225 it would be priced right for the kind of facilities it offers. But I guess you're paying for location. If you spend the whole day at the beach or the pool, it's not a terrible place to stay. Just pray it doesn't rain and you get stuck in your room all day.

• Stayed July 2010
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We just returned from a vacation and stayed at Shell Island. We were not happy. The rooms were very small and the bathroom tub facet wasn't working right. Maintanence came up and fixed it once, but it kept leaking.

The resort advertises laundry facilities but don't be fooled. They consisted of one coin washer and one coin dryer on two floors. The ice machines are also on these floors, not on each floor. The pool is too small for the number of guests. The "gift store" is a small corner with only a few items.

The restaurant was terrible. Bad overpriced food. The wait staff was friendly as was the maid staff. The young ladies working out by the pool at the poolside bar and the towel cabana were also very sweet. They were so nice, they deserve a better place to work.

During our stay, the elevators kept breaking down and the desk staff seemed apathetic about it. It wasnt' until the very last, they opened the staff elevator to guests. During our stay there was construction noise coming from the parking deck outside our unit. Someone was running a concrete saw (think loud dentist's drill). When I called the front desk, the young lady (Rebecca) didn't know what it was and tried to tell me it was the property owner's association work and didn't even offer to find out how long the noise would be going on. No quiet afternoon naps for us. Finally the third day, I asked for a manager and complained. She said she would find out and take care of it. We didn't hear it after that. Moral- always ask for the manager.

On check out we got an ugly surprise, a bill almost $600 more than supposed to be. I had prepaid in order to get a lower rate for two rooms. The majority of the week was charged at the higher room rate. The man at the reception desk, called a manager and, luckily I had saved my reservation confirmation, so they fixed it. What if I hadn't had the confirmation with the rate? I had to insist on having one e-mailed to me in order to have one because they didn't do it automatically when I booked a month earlier. It took three phone calls to get the confirmation e-mailed to me. I am so glad I stuck with it, or I feel sure we would have been out the money.

The bellboys were also helpful. However, we weren't comfortable and the place was run down and uncomfortable. Don't believe the pictures.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank cindyu01
UNCWALUM, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2010
I am very sorry you were unhappy with your stay with us. All of our Suites are the same size, they are 660 square feet with a separate bedroom to living room. Some of our suites have different furniture packages that allow us to arrange them differently, but the size of the suite is the same in every suite. I can certainly understand your frustration with renovations, we all do, but is a vital part of making sure we keep our product in the best shape for our guests. It is always a good idea to have your confirmation number with you at check-in and check-out, we do send confirmation numbers to every guest via email and mail, so I do apologize for you not receiving one automatically. We appreciate and value your business, I hope when you come back to Wrightsville Beach you will give us another try, we would be happy to have you back as our guests.
Glen Rock, New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2010

This was such a great vacation. A little piece of heaven in NC. We had a direct flight into Wilmington (15 min from resort) from New York. It felt as if we were on an island. The beach was long and beautiful and the water was warm yet refreshing. We had heard the hotel was sold out but it didn't feel that way. We did not have to fight for a chair at the pool or wait for a table in the restaurant. The kids loved the goody's (ice cream) in the gift shop. The ATM in the business center was very convenient. The view of the ocean was beautiful. When they say "ocean view" they really mean it. Not like when you get somewhere and you can barely see a little bit. The staff was lovely. The shower by the pool was great for the last day on the beach. We took a 7:30pm flight out and was able to enjoy another whole day on the beach after check out. Have a blast, we did!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!