“Two thoes up”

Shell Island Resort
Rochester, NY
“Two thoes up”
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Shell Island was a great place to stay for a mini-reunion. We booked two rooms, both of which were clean. The rooms were a little small but suited our needs just fine. The beds were comfortable and staff came in each day to freshen up the rooms. Staff was friendly and accomodating. The beach was just steps away from our room with a balcony. Overall, a great experience and we are already making plans to return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Chicago
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Shell Island Resort for a four day get away. Maybe I am spoiled but this place is a disaster. Unless you are looking somewhere for Spring Break where you can pile in as many college students as possible do not stay here. The rooms ( at least the one we stayed in and others I saw) have not been updated since 1980. The kitchen area is outdated, with no dishwasher so if you use any of the dishes be prepared to wash dishes...not sure why this is called a resort. There are no amenities to speak of. A pool bar that is uninviting, a pool that looks to be from the 1980's and a indoor bar that looks like you are at Dennys. The hallways are dirty, the windows are in the open hallway and a rusted, bent screens, dirty doors. I am not sure where the pictures of the rooms were taken maybe there are two rooms redone in the whole complex. The lobby area has been redone but again don't let the pictures fool you the lobby is 1/4 the size it appears. The only people that were helpful were the guys selling the chairs and umbrellas on the beach, but get there early they run out of chairs by 10AM on the weekends. The room service was a joke, they carried it up to us in plastic grocery bags and the food was inedible. The Holiday Inn down the street looked much newer and nicer...........

3 Thank tj1966
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2010

When we first walked into Shell Island it looked like a typical, low-scale beach resort, but once you walked into the rooms you were able to tell that it wasn't. For a few hundred dollars a night I would expect to have a nicer room, as well as a larger room. It was only myself and my husband in my room and it felt like I was dodging him ever time we both stood up to move.

The worst part was that the rooms weren't clean. There were stains on the sheets that you could they tried to bleach out, and on one of our toilets there was what I can only describe as bloody fecal matter. I spoke to the person at the front desk and they assured me that they would have it cleaned up immediatly, and were very appolegetic. My husband and I went to dinner and came back and it was still there, only moved around a bit.

Eventially we had to switch rooms. The front desk attendents were quick and helpful and had us into a new room very quickly. My husband and I decided to go out that nigh instead of staying at the hotel bar. The next morning we went to find that the breakfast that we had thought was free was twelve dollars for a very low quality meal. However the breakfast servers were very helpful. We ordered room service later, just coffee, and it was incredibly over priced.

The person on the phone who also brought us our food, May, was very polite and explained that there was a room service fee before bringing up our coffee, but I never thought the room service fee would be more than the coffee itslef. Even though she offered to speak to her manager and have the fee removed by that point in time I was so upset that I paid it and spoke to my husband about leaving.

Overall I would not recomend this hotel to anyone. Even though the staff was polite and went out of their way to help us, there is only so much you can handle when it comes to a dirty and over-priced room.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We paid $229 a night which I thought was stretching it. I have stayed at 4 star resorts for cheaper than that, and maybe I am just spoiled, but I did not think that this rate was worth it to stay at the Shell Island Resort. I will say that the pool and beach staff were amazing and made our stay quite pleasant. However, the rooms reminded me of something a bunch of 18 year olds would pitch in together on for a spring break on the cheap. They were roomy and had great ocean views, but I felt the rooms were outdated and straight out of 1980's Panama City. Also, we ordered toast the first morning from room service - big mistake. While the coffee was good, the toast came from a loaf of bread that was probably two weeks old. It was truly inedible. I think that if I had paid less, then I might not be as dissatisfied with the resort. It wasn't an overall BAD place to stay but if I were to do it again, I would rent a house. Wrightsville is a very nice beach and the good thing about the resort is that the beach is semi private and quiet. It was also pretty family friendly. I would consider this a hotel, not a resort. On a positive note, the location is fantastic and check in and check out were very quick and pleasant. Room service was prompt as was the maid services.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Wow---we got the manager's special for last minute booking and I am so very thankful.
If we had paid full price in season approximately $400 per night, I would be very unhappy. Perhaps we were treated as second class citizens because we were getting the manager's special but really I doubt it. The staff particularly Nick at the front desk was very rude on two separate occassions--we gave him the benefit of the doubt the first time but he was equally as rude the next day.
While this place is in a lovely location and perhaps is one of the finer hotel destinations in Wrightsville, it is not a pleasant experience mainly because of the attitudes of the staff. The manager's special at over $200 for the evening was not bargain considering the lack of regard for the customer. I found it odd that the chairs and umbrellas were for rental only--not exactly what I expect at a 3 1/2 star hotel.

2 Thank jwotheel
UNCWALUM, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, June 21, 2010
I am very sorry to hear of your experience with our staff. We try to treat all of our guests in the same manner, and that is with respect and kindness. Thank you for letting us know about this isolated incident as your comments are valuable tools for us to continue to improve our customer service. Again I am very sorry for your experience and I hope you will give us another try when visiting Wrightsville Beach!
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed at "Shell Island" in March and had a wonderful time. The location of the Shell Island is great. Its located at the very tip of the Wrightsville Beach and is a little more private. We stayed during off-season for a little get-away and still found plenty to do in the Wilmington area. Downtown Wilmington has a charming "riverwalk" area with a variety of shops and some nice seafood restaurants. And don't forget to stop at "Kilwin's" for some great ice cream, fudge, taffy..The inlet area before you cross over into Wrightsville beach has a couple good seafood restaurants as well! One of the great things about Shell Island is the kitchenette, complete with fridge, micro, oven, sink, coffemaker...One of the interesting things about Wilmington is that they film the show "One Tree Hill," all over the area and there is also a studio lot that is open for tours of the sets, and details of filming the show. Here is the website for that info: http://www.screengemsstudios.com/nc/tours.html From May-September, tours are 12-2pm on Saturday and Sunday and you must arrive 15 minutes early. It was interesting to see how a TV show was filmed. Highly recommend it!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Visited Shell Island for two nights over the Memorial Day weekend. Great room with beautiful view and plenty of space. It was cloudy on Saturday but we still lounged by the pool and enjoyed the cocktail service provided by the friendly pool staff. The beach at the end of the island was quiet and great for long walks. If you're looking for an inexpensive escape to a beautiful, semi-secluded beach area then Shell Island is the place to be.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!