“Excellent Hotel”

Shell Island Resort
raleigh
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed March 13, 2010

Me and my friends had an absolute wonderful stay at Shell Island. The hotel was amazing, great room, great food, great customer service. Whenever we needed something, the front desk was always right on top of it. The staff here does a really good job in keeping the guests happy. I love this place and can't wait to come back for a visit in the summertime.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
louischick
Reviewed March 12, 2010

I recently stayed at Shell Island Resort for work and was very pleased with the hospitality. The views were outstanding! Front desk staff was welcoming, knowledable and fast. *ask them about thier snazzie sneakers. Cute concept! The decor of the hotel and suites were urban, contemporary, comfortable and clean. Rooms had plenty of ammenities and well stocked. I did eat at their Bistro as well and found the selection causual but elegant, typical of a beach town. I will certainly bring my family back this summer to play on the play ground, in the pools and on the gorgeous sandy beaches. I give Shell Island a rav review!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Winston Salem, NC
Reviewed February 23, 2010

My family and I booked a room and were then told our credit card was declined (via e-mail). I called back that same day and gave the gal my bank card number and all went well. My bank showed me that everything cleared. Well, my credit card statement came yesterday and lo and behold, there was a charge on it for Shell Island Ocean Resort on it. I called Shell Island right away and after not having my phone call returned three times, I finally was able to reach someone else who said they could help me. I explained to them what happened and never once did I receive an apology. They thought I wanted 2 rooms and after some time they said they credited my credit card account and would e-mail me showing the transaction. The e-mail never came. Today I came home and checked our bank and what did I see? A withdrawal from Shell Island! Now I called them and she told me my "best bet" would be to contact the bank to see if they could speed up the process for the credit. They had credited my bank account as well and then started over with a new charge today! I am so furious I could scream! Now my bank account is low and they have done nothing to rectify it!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank wiscareccia
justwaggin
Reviewed February 15, 2010

This was a HORRIBLE experience! First we were told we were in the BEST suite - I hate to see what the worst suite was like. The water smelled like sulphur. The front desk had to be called several times and we were told this was NORMAL. We were told, after check in, we could only take a total a 7 minute shower per day for all guests in the room. If you are looking to stay in a hotel like that of Deliverance - then this is the place for you. I wouldn't stay in this place again if I was paid to - or able to stay for free. The pictures were deceiving of what it is really like - next time I will either pay more or less and stay at the Holiday Inn or the Hilton...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank justwaggin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2009

Booked this hotel because of the reviews, the website photos, and the all oceanfront rooms. We booked a standard/non-smoking king room. They had premium rooms, but were $50 more. This room rate was $150. I thought that was a tad high for the time of year.

The positives: The oceanfront rooms, great views, location is superb at the north end of the beach. Quiet (could have been time of year). Clean, doors needed a good scrubbing, but very clean otherwise. Beds, pillows and linens were wonderful.

The negatives: When we arrived the parking lot was empty. Upon check-in staff placed us in a room at the end of the hall on the sixth floor. Mentioned that we got an extra window since it was an end. Window overlooked parking deck, and balcony was not frontal to ocean, somewhat angled. Old carpet, and it smelled. Clearly not an updated room as mentioned on website.
My husband's back hurt, so he didn't want to switch, I did. Not a nice room. I called and they switched us to eighth floor, near elevator. New carpet, somewhat updated, but a lot of kitschy decor. Staff were very accommodating, but they were probably only at 30% occupancy. Why they put us at the end of the hall I do not know. Probably wanted to get some more use out of that disgusting carpet.
For a family this hotel would be great. The kitchenette was an added bonus, but we were only there two nights. We had snacks and breakfast, which worked out well. My husband caught fish, so we had the fridge to store them in.
I would stay here again, but I think they should revisit their room rates in the winter/fall.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
WV
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The resort has clearly been updated very recently and was always sparkling clean. When we arrived our room was not ready but the awesome desk staff upgraded us to room 803. What a pleasant surprise. The room is gorgeous. Excellent view. Very european furnishings. Food from room service and the restaraunt was superb. The beach is large, clean and a short walk from the resort . All in all a great trip.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank marshallgrad94
Greensboro, NC
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I am from the interior of the state and enjoy traveling to Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach. Found Shell Island Resort as a referral from my company and planned a joint business/leisure trip when I saw I could stay at the beach. The hotel is fantastic and has all the amenities for business (free HSIA in the rooms and lobby), great casual restaurant/bistro, superior beach access, and absolutely the best location in the Carolinas. The beach is awesome, the hotel is beautiful, and the service is very frinedly and professional. The rooms are all suites and all have a great view of the ocean with a balcony. Why stay in just a room? I don't understand why anyone would come to Wilmington (especially from a non-beach community) and not stay at Wrightsville Beach.

I highly recommend Shell Island and this hotel. Of course, now I am wondering if I really want more people to be here?:). It was an enjoyable stay in every way!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!