I booked this vacation on 2 days notice, through the Shell Island website. Normally we vacation in Atlantic Beach, NC, if we're not going to Florida, but the hotel we stay at there was pretty expensive for short term notice (over $200/night, even on weekday), so we decided to try somewhere new. As we had stayed in Wilmington for a concert last year, and fell in love with a certain local restaurant chain (K-38!), we decided to give Wrightsville Beach a shot since Tower 7 (part of the same restaurant group) is also in Wrightsville Beach. That lead me to check TripAdvisor for hotels, where I came across Shell Island Resort. I read all the reviews, both good and bad. Then I checked rates- and for less than what we pay off-season for the hotel in Atlantic Beach (which is across the street from the beach), we could have an oceanfront room, complete with separate bedroom! As we have two kids, it's great to be able to have our own room. So I booked it and we traveled the 5 hours to Shell Island Resort.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by Mike, the parking attendant, and shown where to park during check-in. I stepped out of the car, to the sound of lovely steel drum music! Definitely set the tone for a tropical resort! The desk clerks greeted us with large smiles, checked us in, and gave me all information about the pool towel cards, room keys, an information sheet about the hotel, policies, happenings, etc.
We took the elevator (which can get a tad hot) to our room on the 6th floor, and walked the open-air corridor to our room (601). Upon entering the suite, we found it nice and chilled, and could immediately see the gorgeous views of the beach! The decor was just fine, and actually more upscale than I expected after reading some reviews here. There were only a few minor issues, that were bothersome rather than real problems; i.e., all the knobs on the closet doors are mounted on the wrong panel, so when you slide the door open, you can't close it easily. It closes, just not easily. The mini-fridge was not level, but not because something was wrong with it, but because of the way it lined up with the grout lines on the tile. Again, nothing major, just something I noticed. My only real complaint would be that the door handles/locks on the bathroom doors didn't always work and probably need to be replaced. I did, however, love the fact the toilet area could be separated from the shower/tub area. This came in handy since there is only one bathroom, and we had four people in our suite. Though we weren't in our room much to enjoy it to the full extent, we all loved the little balcony, and the chairs by the floor-to-ceiling windows.
We are beach people. We live in Virginia Beach, and we usually vacation at the beach. I have stayed in many "resorts" in Florida, North Carolina, and Hawaii, and Shell Island is leaps and bounds better than any place we've ever stayed in Florida or North Carolina, and right on par with the one we stayed at in Hawaii! We look forward to staying here again, hopefully in early Fall!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northern tip of Wrightsville Beach, Shell Island Resort is surrounded by a sprawling expanse of sand and unparalleled views of the Atlantic Ocean, Mason’s Inlet, and Figure Eight Island. This family-friendly resort and hotel boasts a front row seat to the beckoning sea and a beach that seems to stretch endlessly, making it feel like it is yours alone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Shell Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shell Island Oceanfront Hotel
- Shell Island Oceanfront Resort
- Wrightsville Beach Shell Island Resort
- Shell Island Resort Nc
- Shell Island North Carolina
- Shell Island Hotel
- Shell Island Nc
- Shell Island Resort North Carolina
- Shell Isl All Oceanfront Suites
- Shell Is Resort Wrightsville Beach