“Unit #314 was GREAT!”

Shell Island Resort
Atlanta, Georgia
“Unit #314 was GREAT!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I've had the opportunity to stay at several places in Wrightsville Beach in the past year. By far, Unit #314 at Shell Island exceeded my expectations! It has a great panoramic view of both the expansive oceanfront and pool area! It has a cool updated, but subtle beachy Asian vibe. The jetted tub was an unexpected pleasure. Double queen beds would comfortably fit two couples. The modern kitchen suits my style too. This place has everything! I will certainly request this unit next time I'm in town!

• Stayed April 2014
Andrew G, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Nick C,

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay in 314! One of the unique benefits of the Shell Island Resort is that every unit is privately owned, and each room has its own flavor and flare! No two units are exactly alike, giving our returning guests great variety! We look forward to your return to Shell Island Resort!

Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I stayed here about a week ago for a conference and was disappointed. The room was outdated and was not cleaned that well. The only positive experience I encountered was a young man named John who worked the front desk. He was very friendly, helpful and polite. My overall experience at this so called resort was not a good one. If have to travel here for work again I will not stay here...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrea T
Dear Andrea T,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us during your conference. I apologize that your room did not meet your expectations. All of our units at Shell Island Resort are individual owned, and our design team is currently working on a refurbishment program with the individual owners so that all units are updated. We have housekeeping managers and staff that are here to make sure that every room is cleaned daily. I am very glad that John was able to assist you at the front desk and make your stay pleasant. Our goal is to provide every guest with excellent service. We hope that you will consider another stay with us in the future so that we may show all our exciting changes. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the resort if you have any questions or concerns.
Regards,
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Had a great stay at Shell Island Resort. The view was magnificent and our room was well maintained. From the moment we walked in the door, the staff was ready to accommodate us. The pool area was very nice and well supplied with extra towels. The restaurant was awesome. Shannon and Chris went out their way to make sure we had what we needed. The breakfast was excellent, (best bacon I have ever had). We ate all our meals there, never having to leave the resort. The menu had everything we could possibly want. We highly recommend this resort and we will definitely be back soon!

2 Thank seagull241
Elkin, North Carolina
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My group loves doing a meeting at the beach and this property is a perfect size for my group's spring meeting. The atmosphere is relaxing which provides them a welcomed change from their hectic schedules. As a meeting planner, the staff exceeded my expectations which is always appreciated! The sleeping rooms had new carpet and a fresh look from my visit last spring and it really made a positive impact. The entire staff was great to work with and so helpful but George in Catering and Meredith in Sales/Convention management were AWESOME! I watched the staff as they magically turned the lunch area we used into a wedding reception for the evening and I must say they functioned like a well-oiled machine - a true example of teamwork. You have an awesome staff!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank wanda h
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 10, 2014

The room was outdated and not well cleaned. Apparently it was too much work to clean all 4 of the windows so someone only cleaned two. Maybe they were hoping that we wouldn't open the blinds. We had no hot water. The front desk didn't even apologize but said they'd call maintenance. I don't know if they even came up. I poked around and found that no one had turned on the breaker to power the water heater. The AC shut off and there were no directions to turn it back on. There were dirty footprints on the tile in the living space and bathroom. The staff was pleasant enough but they never seemed prepared. Got coffee in the a.m. and they didn't have money to make change?! Nice view and the beach is beautiful but the hotel was FAR below expectations especially for the price. I will not go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Find a room at another hotel.
5 Thank C K
Heidi B, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
C K,
I am so sorry to hear of the problems you experienced during your stay at Shell Island. We have recognized the issues you had with housekeeping, and addressed them by adding 10 more members to our team, including inspectors to put the final touch on each room before it is rented. I understand your choice to look at other options when visiting Wrightsville Beach, but would be thrilled to hear from you if you change your mind so that we can give you the relaxing trip you deserve!
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We did our wedding reception at Shell Island and had a blast. Meredith and George were courteous, professional, and worked tirelessly to make it elegant and fun for everyone. The food was excellent and the service was amazing. All the suites view the ocean and are unique and nice. Our guests had a great time all weekend. The only issue we observed/heard about was having some trouble getting everyone checked into a room on time.

Overall, Shell Island did a great job facilitating all of our needs while we were there. Thanks for helping make our wedding weekend incredible!

2 Thank Michah H
Shinnston
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The view was Amazing. The furniture was out dated. The balcony furniture is very uncomfortable.The lobby & restaurant were noisy and crowded. We eat late to avoid the crowd. About 30 loud rude people poured in as we were eating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deede99
deede99,
Thank you for your honest review of Shell Island Resort. I am sorry that your experience was anything less than perfect. We are still in the process of completing renovations to our guest suites, and hope that you will come back to enjoy the updated product we have to offer in the future. It is our goal for the quality of suites to match the amazing view that accompanies them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wrightsville Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!