Shell Island Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
Ocean View Motel(Wrightsville Beach)
View Hotel
Silver Gull Motel(Wrightsville Beach)
Harbor Inn(Wrightsville Beach)
Waterway Lodge(Wrightsville Beach)
View Hotel
Blockade Runner Beach Resort(Wrightsville Beach)
1,156 results
All reviewshalf bathsmall balconyindoor and outdoor poolsliving areaocean viewseparate bedroomfamily vacationtwo double bedsbeautiful beachbeach weddingfull kitchenthe entire staffmeredithsuitewilmingtonconferencekitchenette
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We have stayed at Shell Island in the past in the spring or summer. All the suites are oceanfront with floor to ceiling windows and the view is mesmerizing! This year we went for Thanksgiving. It was wonderful! The buffet was delicious, the staff were all cheerful and helpful, and it was so nice to go for a long walk on the beach after our meal. We like to stay on the upper floors for the high view of everything, especially the sunrises and sunsets. The indoor and outdoor pools are both nice. Pleasantly, we have also noticed over the years that the resort is always well-maintained and upgraded as needed.

Room Tip: Go above third floor for a nice view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear bestnanaever,

Thank you for staying with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I could not agree more that we have the best views of the Atlantic Ocean from our resort, especially the sunrises and sunsets. Likewise, I am pleased to hear that you found the Thanksgiving buffet delicious and am glad that our staff was attentive and friendly. This off season, we will also be conducting further renovations focusing on our rooms. Please think of Shell Island Resort the next time you are in the Wrightsville Beach area.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is the third year I have stayed at this property during the Thanksgiving weekend. This year was the worst. My group had over 20 rooms. I asked for a handicapped accessable room a month before I arrived. I arrived to find our room keys had not been set up ( not like prior years). We had to wait until each room key were done. We were on a tight deadline to make a boat ride at Carolina Beach. I asked if my room could be close to the wheelchair accessable room so I could assist the person. The first room I was given was not wheel chair accessable. Then we were moved to the 8th floor. Rm 807 and 820 ( long way from each other) The water in this hotel is I believe is so bad is should be closed by the health dept. It smells like rotten eggs, I turn the water on in the bath tub and walk back to find it black with all kinds of particules floating in the water. I took a glass of it and the black wash cloth to the front desk to be told it was only in my room ( as if they knew it), The only solution was an offer to move me to another room, I was also told that non of the rooms have a roll in wheel chair shower, I was told because the property is private they do not have to follow stand rules for handicap accessable. My husband had every plan to make a reservation for just the two of us during the coming holidays but this trip was a big no, I told the front dest that I do plan to report them to the health department. Giving the status of the water I thought it took alot of nerve to charge $4.00 for bottle water in the room when you cannot dring the water in the hotel.......disappointed

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear fgbryce,

We appreciate your group staying at Shell Island Resort again this year. The water in the hotel is monitored closely by The Town of Wrightsville Beach and our maintenance staff. The town is very diligent in flushing out the water lines throughout the island to ensure the water is safe for their residents and visitors. Please call me the next time you are in the area at 910-256-8696 and I will ensure that you get a room that meets your expectations.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

First would like to say that the staff we encountered during our trip was exceptional. Vicki was manning the desk at check in and check out. Maintenance was also very prompt in responding to a concern regarding the water heater. The location was the big winner as it was at the end of the strip. It is important to note that these condos are individually owned! Quality of furnishings, towels, bedding, ect. is a dice roll unless you know the unit you want. We had a clean but very dated and well-worn unit. The TV's were nice. Regular sized fridge and two stove burners with no oven. No dishwasher. We were on the second floor. This was not the best location as we were face to face with the parking deck each time we opened the door. Also the canned music from lobby/ pool area was great but we could hear it well into the evening from the balcony. That said, try to clear the 4th floor and that will not be an issue. There was a small indoor pool but the inhabitants looked as if they were on display from the lobby. Did not eat at the restaurant. Again the location was great. I suggest being as specific as you can about preferences when you reserve a unit.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank fulton79
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear fulton79,

I appreciate your review of our resort and thank you for your business. We couldn’t agree more that the location is the best on Wrightsville Beach. I am also pleased that the staff, including Vicki, was friendly and accommodating during your visit. As to the rooms, we are undergoing a major renovation this offseason that will focus primarily on the units being upgraded. The next time you are in the Wrightsville Beach area, please give me a call at 910-256-8696 and I will make sure that you get a room that meets your expectations. Again, we appreciate you staying here and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

For the second year in a row, our organization held its annual fall conference at the Shell Island Resort. Our group blocks approximately 75 suites and holds all of its educational sessions and meals at this property. The convention staff is wonderful to work with -- flexible and accommodating. Catering altered menu choices and provided alternatives that suited our group perfectly. Staging of food and meals was ALWAYS on time and attention was paid to presentation and temperature of food and to maintaining ample quantities. Staff was always on hand to assist with any requests or needs that presented themselves.The room set for the educational sessions was always done early -- the rooms were always well cleaned and reset before any of our association staff arrived in the morning. George was The Man! He had solutions to every last minute issue we encountered and ensured that our entire conference ran flawlessly from catering to audiovisual equipment. He also handled details like room temperature and extra seating needs. Convention services staff worked with us to provide a low room rate for our members, affordable meeting room and catering rates, as well as a hospitality suite and access to office equipment and supplies when needed. The restaurant has an amazing view of the beach and served excellent food at reasonable prices -- we noticed a big improvement in 2013 over 2012. The suites afford fabulous views of the beach and provide generous space, including a living and dining area, 1 1/2 baths and a well-stocked kitchenette. Rooms were clean and comfortable, although many were dated in their decor. We are looking forward to holding our third annual fall conference at Shell Island in 2014, where we understand that the guest suites are undergoing extensive rennovation. The location was the overwhelming choice of our membership!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear Susan H.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay here at Shell Island! We are thrilled to know you had a great time and we appreciate the opportunity to have hosted you and your Conference for a second year at our resort! I was very happy to hear how well your Conference ran and thanks for the compliments on the outstanding service and food. Our Associates work very hard year round to ensure our guests have a wonderful time and experience. Our room renovations are on schedule and will be completed in time for our summer season. We look forward to seeing you at your Conference next year!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our church had a Couples Retreat at Shell Island Resort. The facility was clean, staff was outstanding, food was great, and the location was great. I would recommend this resort. We are seriously thinking about having our retreat there next year as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kev S
KevinC485, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Dear Kev S,

It was a pleasure having your church group here at Shell Island and we are pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I am also happy to hear that the staff was friendly and accommodating as guest service is our number one priority here at the resort. We look forward to having you back anytime at Wrightsville Beach’s best location on the ocean!