“Great views, great people, rooms could use some TLC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shell Island Resort

Shell Island Resort
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great views, great people, rooms could use some TLC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

So let me preface this by saying that we got married at Shell Island this past weekend. The wedding and everything about it went perfectly. The staff (Meredith and George specifically) went above and beyond to make it a truly unforgettable weekend and I'd highly recommend Shell Island for anyone looking to have a beach wedding in the area.

This review though is solely about the property as a hotel. The grounds are beautiful. It's right at the end of the property so there are no other properties to the north of Shell Island. It almost feels like you have an entire beach to yourself. The beach is never crowded. Shell Island has a service that you can rent beach chairs from for a reasonable fee. Even on a day where they weren't renting chairs out, one of the kids who works for the hotel went and got us two of them. This is just one example of how great the people at Shell Island are and it's one of the resorts real highlights. I did not eat in the restaurant but the food that they had for the wedding and rehearsal dinner was amazing. The pool bar was a nice touch as well.

The rooms themselves were the only hiccup in this beautiful property. As I understand it, they are all individually owned and therefore, no two look the same. While this adds some charm, it means that they are very "hit or miss". Our room, while having great views from the balcony, had definetley seen better days. The AC went out on the day of our wedding. The carpet was frayed in several areas and the bathroom fixtures clearly needed some updating, or at least heavy cleaning. It also had this weird monkey lamp (I kid you not) that I'm pretty sure will haunt my dreams.

All in all, this would be a great resort for a family with two kids as mom and dad can sleep in the bedroom while the kids get the living room with pullout couch. We will definetly stay here again, if mainly for the views and sentimental value. You likely won't be spending much time in your room anyway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John C
Chris V, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear johncrawford25,

First and foremost, congratulations for getting married and we at Shell Island wish you much joy and happiness. We are so thrilled that you were able to spend your special day with us and enjoyed the quiet serenity that is our special corner on Wrightsville Beach. Thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments about our staff. We always strive to give the best guest service that we can and our staff is among the best in the industry. As for the condition of your rooms, please let me apologize for what you experienced. Having the AC go out on a summer day can definitely be irritating and I am so sorry that happened. Our staff does try to keep up with maintenance in the hotel on a regular basis to avoid issues like that from occurring. As far as the room being dated, the owners are aware of their room conditions and do strive to keep their rooms in the best shape possible. The hotel is also in the process of grading each room type to make sure that they meet the quality of standards for our guests. Please feel free to give me a call before your next trip at (910) 256-8696 before your next visit and we will make sure the AC is working properly and that the room will meet the highest standards for your next visit.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
Queens Ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The beach is wider in this part of wrightsville beach & is lovely, but probably wouldn't stay here again because of housekeeping issues & the small feel of the place.. I didn't realize until after I booked that this is a condo-hotel, thus every apartment is different. They charge more for the condos that have more updated furnishings & granite countertops. We stayed in a standard one bedroom king condo, room 912, the furnishings were not my taste, but appeared to have been recently purchased.The rooms were smaller than I thought they would be--the bedroom was about 14x12 feet with a small closet & an adjoining approx. 5 x 8 bathroom. Next to that bathroom was a half bath that opened to both the full bath & the hallway that led to the living room/kitchenette/dining area, which was approx 17 x 17 feet including the small balcony that had 2 plastic chairs & a small side table. The kitchenette was about 7 feet worth of counter consisting of a sink, cooktop w/2 electric burners (one was broken) microwave & undercounter fridge & had pots, dishes, glasses, silverware. There was another small closet there, a pullout couch, 2 chairs & small dining table with 4 chairs & tv & another tv in the bedroom. No in-room safe & did not feel comfortable leaving valuables in room. Housekeeping was very inconsistent. Rooms looked clean when we got there, but they only vacuumed once in 5 night stay, had to ask for more shampoo, paper towels for kitchen at front desk. Appeared to have never cleaned toilets or sinks while we were there. There was a $5 per day environmental fee, not sure what it covered, left a small tip for housekeeping--hope I didn't end up tipping them twice.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 523Deedee
Dear 523Deedee,

Thank you so much for staying with us and we agree that the beach on the north end of the island is lovely. Please let me extend my sincerest apologies for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. Consistency among the housekeepers was addressed in our most recent meeting and we are working hard to improve in that department. We would love to see you back so please give me a call at (910) 256-8696 before your next arrival and we will make sure that the room meets the excellent quality of standards that our guests are used to. The environmental fees are used to help preserve the beach and the bird sanctuary next to the hotel. We appreciate your comments and feedback from travelers, such as yourself, as they only help us strive to be better. Please contact us with any other questions or concerns.

Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Our second stay at this condo-hotel. The GM, Kevin C, is new and it's obvious the board of directors had a moment of divine guidance when they hired him about three months ago. He's a hands-on manager and has brought a touch of class to the overall operation.
The front desk staff are great, especially Nic, who put us in a fantastic corner room on the 7th floor.
If you venture out for meals somewhere else, you''ll miss some great food.

Room Tip: A corner room on the southern end gives you great views and a steady breeze when you are on the balc...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alexander49210
Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Alexander49210,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your feedback. Nic is one of our finest examples of someone who goes above and beyond for our guests and we are happy he was very helpful. Our restaurant has undergone some changes for the better, including a fantastic new chef who has come up with some really creative food ideas. Kevin works hard with all of us to make sure that our guests are getting the treatment that they deserve as our valued guests and we appreciate his experience and dedication to our team and the resort to make this one of the best properties on the beach. Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

We visit Shell island maybe 2-3 times a year the past 4 years or so. Our prior visit was in may 2013 and we could see there was a renewed energy to make a number of general improvements. our visit for father's day June 2013 we could really experience new creativity and even a greater level of service from staff. In the past years while we enjoyed SI it felt like it was run by a groups of college students. Now, there is an experienced service oriented guest friendly general manager who is very hands on with the staff and interacts with the guests. There a number of nice changes poolside music on weekend nights, outdoor table service, MUCH IMPROVED breakfast buffets, and the staff was very focused on cleanliness and service. We also heard the dining area has a revamped dinner menu and a cook staff that uses really fresh catch. So, we are looking forward to that in our next visit. We have liked Shell Island for several years and it looks like someone is now unlocking even more potential on the best site on Wrightsville. We cannot wait to go back already. See you soon Shell Island!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill S
Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Bill S,

Thank you so much for your comments and for returning to Shell Island. This resort has recently undergone some changes across the board which we think are for the better. Our number one goal is guest service and we are very pleased that our staff is helping to exceed expectations from our guests. As a management team, we are striving to bring a quality of professionalism to all areas of the resort to help make this the best accommodation on Wrightsville Beach. Our General Manager has helped bring those qualities to the team and the resort and is committed to our guests. Likewise, we are also hearing that the live music on weekends is a great addition to the amenities that the resort is offering. Likewise, we have revamped our food and beverage department with a new chef and a new menu which opens up more opportunities to be creative on that side. We appreciate your business and look forward to the next time you are able to spend some more time with us.

Burlington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is the BEST location on the beach. Just beautiful. The Employees were some of the friendliest I've encountered. But our room was dirty. No other way to say it. The baseboards had not been cleaned in quite a while. There were handprints on the glass sliding door and lots of things under the sofa that had been missed including of cereal from previous guest.
This should be an easy fix for this hotel. Every guest deserves a clean room.
We did however enjoy our first trip to Wrightsville beach. Just unsure if we will return to Shell
Island.

Room Tip: choose a corner room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank nativetarheel
Dear nativetarheel,

Your feedback is much appreciated and we agree that this is the best and most beautiful spot on the beach to spend time. We also work hard to make sure that our staff is friendly and guest service oriented and are pleased that they are meeting those expectations. As for your concerns about housekeeping, please let me extend my sincerest apologies for the housekeeping issues that you experienced during your stay. Those standards are not indicative of how Shell Island maintains the rooms and we are embarrassed that your room did not meet those standards. We are currently exploring new ways to service our guests better. We hope that this past experience will not hinder you from staying with us again. If you do decide to return, please call me at the resort at 910-256-8696 and we will make sure that your room exceeds your expectations

Leland, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

North Brunswick Newcomers Club held their annual end of the year Installation Luncheon on June 14th in the Ocean View Room at Shell Island Resort. Our catering manager, George, worked through every detail and we could not be more pleased. Although we may have been running a little behind schedule due to our business meeting, our salmon, crab cake and chicken plated entrees were hot and delicious. Thank you for managing our affair in a professional and courteous manner.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Chris V, Guest Relations Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Dear JoyceC,

Thank you so much for having your luncheon here at Shell Island. We are so pleased that you and your colleagues enjoyed themselves at the resort with the only oceanview ballroom on Wrightsville Beach. George, our catering manager, has been here seven years and works very hard to ensure that our guests have a great time during their event. His efforts certainly go a long way in creating memories here at the resort. Likewise, our new chef is working hard to create new and tasty menu items for our guests as well. His accomplishments have resulted in a revamped menu that our guests seem to be enjoying. We look forward to having you back here at the Shell Island for your next event.

Chris V.
Raleigh NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Shell Island at least once a year for the past ten years. It is true that some rooms are better than others, but the view and the beach are constantly beautiful.

Because the hotel is surrounded by marsh and beach, some outside maintenance and cosmetic issues are understandable. My issues are all related to the interior of the hotel.

Checked in in a Tuesday night for a college function. Went down to the bar at a few minutes to 10:00. The bartender said she had closed everything up, but there there were two men sitting at the bar with a couple of glasses each in front of them. What had she closed up exactly? No drink for us!

The next morning, we Left the hotel before 7:30 am. Returned after 9:30 pm to see that NOTHING had been cleaned in our absence. In fact, it might have been worse!

When my family travels, after everyone showers, I gather up all the used towels and put them in one pile before we leave the room. This makes it easy for Housekeeping to clear them away and place new ones. Well, Housekeeping picked up the dirty towels and hung them over the doors while we were gone. They did not bring new, clean towels AND they sort of hung up the dirty ones...ick!

They did not leave dish soap to clean the dishes, nor did they wash them. There was sand inside both doors, tracked from the elevator while carrying our luggage, that was not cleaned up. They did not replace the coffee, either.

I went down to speak to the Front Desk, the staff member apologized and was clearly embarrassed, but it was clear that he had received several similar calls. I asked to speak to the manager on duty and learned that there was none. In my opinion, this is a safety issue for staff and guests. I asked for some dish soap. He didn't have any, indicated they'd been waiting on a shipment. When I discovered the coffee hadn't been replaced, I went downstairs again and he said he'd send someone with it. Ten minutes later, a young woman handed me five packets of decaf! I was so dumbfounded that it took me a second and I had to run down the hall after her. It took another ten minutes - and by now it is nearly 10:30 pm - for her to come back with caffeinated coffee.

At the rate we paid, we could have had two rooms in a newer nice hotel closer to campus. I was in charge of the reservation and this property was my first choice. I'm having a really hard time justifying the cost to my husband! He actually said that about the only thing he expects from a hotel is a clean towel and Shell Island couldn't manage that.

Poorly managed. Really disappointing. Absolutely no excuse for this kind of Housekeeping issue! I will be sending something to the GM in writing. This may be my family's last trip...:

• Stayed June 2013
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#1 of 19 in Carolina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 364 reviews

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!