So let me preface this by saying that we got married at Shell Island this past weekend. The wedding and everything about it went perfectly. The staff (Meredith and George specifically) went above and beyond to make it a truly unforgettable weekend and I'd highly recommend Shell Island for anyone looking to have a beach wedding in the area.
This review though is solely about the property as a hotel. The grounds are beautiful. It's right at the end of the property so there are no other properties to the north of Shell Island. It almost feels like you have an entire beach to yourself. The beach is never crowded. Shell Island has a service that you can rent beach chairs from for a reasonable fee. Even on a day where they weren't renting chairs out, one of the kids who works for the hotel went and got us two of them. This is just one example of how great the people at Shell Island are and it's one of the resorts real highlights. I did not eat in the restaurant but the food that they had for the wedding and rehearsal dinner was amazing. The pool bar was a nice touch as well.
The rooms themselves were the only hiccup in this beautiful property. As I understand it, they are all individually owned and therefore, no two look the same. While this adds some charm, it means that they are very "hit or miss". Our room, while having great views from the balcony, had definetley seen better days. The AC went out on the day of our wedding. The carpet was frayed in several areas and the bathroom fixtures clearly needed some updating, or at least heavy cleaning. It also had this weird monkey lamp (I kid you not) that I'm pretty sure will haunt my dreams.
All in all, this would be a great resort for a family with two kids as mom and dad can sleep in the bedroom while the kids get the living room with pullout couch. We will definetly stay here again, if mainly for the views and sentimental value. You likely won't be spending much time in your room anyway.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northern tip of Wrightsville Beach, Shell Island Resort is surrounded by a sprawling expanse of sand and unparalleled views of the Atlantic Ocean, Mason’s Inlet, and Figure Eight Island. This family-friendly resort and hotel boasts a front row seat to the beckoning sea and a beach that seems to stretch endlessly, making it feel like it is yours alone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Shell Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shell Island Oceanfront Hotel
- Shell Island Oceanfront Resort
- Wrightsville Beach Shell Island Resort
- Shell Island Resort Nc
- Shell Island North Carolina
- Shell Island Hotel
- Shell Island Nc
- Shell Island Resort North Carolina
- Shell Isl All Oceanfront Suites
- Shell Is Resort Wrightsville Beach