Stayed here for a weekend in early March 2013.
Nice location: at the very end of the homes & development on the north end of Wrightsville Beach. Short drive or even a bike ride (2.5 miles to restaurants, bars on 'the island.' Drive of about 10 mins to get to many more restaurants & all of that stuff 'off the island.'
Staff here are very friendly, and professional.
Hotel is actually condo units owned by individual owners. All units are oceanfront, all units have a two-person balcony facing the Atlantic.
The building has a worn aspect to it, but everything works & it is kept clean. Ground floor units are walk-out but are below the dune line & thus have no view of the ocean. The higher you go, the better the view.
Beach is wide & very clean. Dunes between beach & hotel. Good surf spot just up the beach to the north of the hotel. Surf City for smaller waves is about 25 minutes drive. The south side of WB pier for bigger waves is about 5 minutes drive.
The parking people aggressively ticket cars whose owners haven't paid the meter. I witnessed a ticket writer nailing cars at 730am one Sunday morning.
Restaurant here is basic. Bar is basic. Food is bland. You can do better elsewhere: Sweet & Savory, Tower 7, Neptune's, others. If yu want the chain restaurants like Carraba's & the fast food chains, you'll need to drive 'off island' 10 minutes to get your fix.
The units all have small refrigerators & a good-sized kitchenette, furnished with dishes, pots 'n pans, cutlery , glasses.
I recommend this place. It's basic, not fancy, but it's the superb location that is what you are paying for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northern tip of Wrightsville Beach, Shell Island Resort is surrounded by a sprawling expanse of sand and unparalleled views of the Atlantic Ocean, Mason’s Inlet, and Figure Eight Island. This family-friendly resort and hotel boasts a front row seat to the beckoning sea and a beach that seems to stretch endlessly, making it feel like it is yours alone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Shell Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shell Island Oceanfront Hotel
- Shell Island Oceanfront Resort
- Shell Island Resort Nc
- Wrightsville Beach Shell Island Resort
- Shell Island North Carolina
- Shell Island Hotel
- Shell Island Nc
- Shell Island Resort North Carolina
- Shell Isl All Oceanfront Suites
- Shell Is Resort Wrightsville Beach