“"Great place to stay for small families, couples. private and huge beach views in nice location!”

Shell Island Resort
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Spent almost a week in August in these one bedroom, two bath, beach front rooms with family of four. We werent dissappointed, largest beach on northern most part of wrightsbeach with indoor/outdoor pool and restaurant/bar. The view is spectacular and quiet and only a few minutes from most restaurants on southern part of wrightsville and most decent places are on causeway 5 minutes away. The rooms arent really large and it is privately owned with owners lettting management company or owners use their rooms. The food at onsite restaurant was good and reasonable and most rooms have small refrigerators with kitchenettes. Our kids loved it and everyone was very friendly with beach/pool towels available. Truly a hidden gem compared to nags head and other obx beach areas. Wilmington is only 15-20 minutes with lots to do. Will definitely be coming back soon!

• Stayed: August 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Being a native from Wilmington,NC until 8 years ago Shell Island Resort is the only place I will stay for my vacation trip home to see family and friends. The staff has always been very helpful and courteous but this trip they went above and beyond ! Due to late plane arrival in Raleigh and my slow moving family :) we didn't arrive till almost 3:30 AM ! I talked to Brice several times to make sure my room would still be available and asked questions about fridge size and if there was a tea pitcher in the room (got to have my sweet tea). Not only was my room available but Brice had left a pitcher of sweet tea in the fridge. Floyd at the front desk made check-in so easy and Chris the security guard helped us unpack the car AND take our things upstairs and put them in our room. On the day I was to check out Sam let me check out at 12 instead of 11. My room was always kept clean-housekeeping staff was wonderful.My only negative comments are I couldn't stay longer and Mother Nature didn't cooperate on two days of my trip !!!!

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Loved the beach here. This resort is in the best location at the north end. It is expensive for what you get, but the beach is worth it. Everyone was very nice and polite - had a couple issuse with housekeeping. The first night we had to call and get sheets for the sleep sofa. One day they cleaned and took all of the dirty towels and did not leave any clean ones. One day they never showed up. We ran out of toilet paper and had to call the front desk. I will say every time I called I got immediate help! So that ceatrly made up for any problems.

Room Tip: We stayed in a King Suite with three people. My daughter slept on the sleep sofa.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Carolyn M,

Thank you for providing your feedback from your past stay. We appreciate to know you enjoyed your time with us even with some of the inconsistent service you received from housekeeping. It was great that you noted that with the mistakes that were made our staff responding quickly to ensure we exceeded your expectations! We do have the ultimate location for a beach resort, at the very end with nothing around us is one of our many highlights we have here along with our 2 room spacious suites compared to other properties that are in more of the busier area of the beach. We again appreciate you staying with us here at Shell Island Resort, the only all suite property directly on the beach and hope to see you back with us real soon! Thank you.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The "resort" is located in an ideal area and the beachfront views from the room are amazing. Upon arrival, you get great service and help up to the room. The parking deck is kind of scary and steep; hard to see oncoming traffic. The room itself was just OK (302). The bedroom was cramped and it had an awkward little window that gave you a view of the outward walkway where people pass by. The bathroom had ventilation issues and had really nasty mold growing along side the edge of the bathtub. Also, several dead bugs were on the floor and a large dead moth attached to the shower curtain. The living/kitchen space was large and comfortable. We really enjoyed spending time there looking out over the beach. Nothing beats the convenience of walking right out onto the beach. The housekeeping the first day was great, but the second day no one ever showed up at all. The ice makers did not work which was not good and the fridge too small to hold a bag of ice. The restaurant offered below average food, which we discovered the first night and did not return the rest of our stay. Overall, we really enjoyed our trip but felt that for what you pay to stay here, it was not the best value.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Amy K,
Thank you for staying with us and providing candid feedback concerning your entire stay in all areas that you experienced in our resort. I do apologize personally for not meeting or exceeding your expecations. We do, being on the beach, have a minor challenge in maintaining rooms from getting mildew due to the constant moisture a beach resort has to endure but have programs that directly address these concerns without it being a major challenge. We failed to do that specifically for your suite you were assigned and have already addressed the concern after you departed. We are in the process to replace the 3 remaining ice machines on the guest floors along with replacing the 2 elevator cars by the end of this year as many guests unfortunatley utilize to fill coolers which in not their design to maintain that kind of capacity.

In addition, our Chef read your comments as well and there is already a plan in place to develop and enhance our current menu further, to offer more fresh fish selections, gourmet soups & salads along with developing more creative appetizers. We thank you again for your feedback to assist us in continuing to improve our overall operation and look forward to a return visit back to Shell Island Resort to showcase our continuous upgrades and enhancements. Thank you.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. The view from our room was wonderful and the service was great. My family loved that the hotel served us lunch on the beach. The hotel staff was always friendly and helpful. The only negative for a family of five with grown children is the room was a little small. We will certainly stay at this hotel again.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were on the 9th floor. Great view of the beach, the room was a little dated.When I called the hotel and asked questions, what I was told was not what we got in our room. I specifically asked about a full size fridge with an ice maker. I was assured that that was "standard". What was "standard", was a fridge that would be comfortable in a college dorm room.The "ice makers" were on the even numbered floors and most of them did not work.We ended up going up and down the un-air conditioned elevator in 95+ degree weather, searching for an ice machine that would put out more than a handful of ice. That being said, all staff was very helpful, our luggage porters were amazing and the front desk was also very good. A special note about the maintainance department. The second or third day we were there our A/C quit working.We were on our way to dinner and dreading coming back to a hot room. We were pleasantly surprised that it was putting out very cool air when we returned.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bismarck1956
Mark H, General Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Jeff M,
Thank you for staying with us here at Shell Island and providing us feedback from your past stay. We appreciate you pointing out our service staff at the front desk and portage department as being the highlight of your stay. The staff here takes tremendous pride in taking great care of our valued clients. I do apologize that your suite ammenities didn't meet your expectations. Our standard room is a large kitchenette that includes a 1/4 refridgerator, stove top, microwave and culterly for up to 6 along with small wares that include coffee maker, toasters, pots and pans, etc. There are some suites that do very in the size of the kitchen equipment but primarly are all the same. We are aware of the elevator condition as they are scheduled to be replaced by the end of this year, a $250K investment to upgrade the current elevator systems will be completed before 2013. In addition, we make bags of ice available for sale at our pool bar for guests that want to fill thier coolers. It takes a toll on our guest room ice machines, as that is not what they're intended for and unfortunately not all guests utlize this service we offer which drains the machines and are unable to replenish in quick amount of time. Again, thank you for staying with us and look forward to seeing you back with us real soon. Thank you.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

When my 3-year old grandson and I arrived at the resort he was sound asleep in his car seat. I had to sling him over shoulder to check in at the front desk. As I walked away I was thinking how am I going to manage to park my car, unload my luggage and carry this sleeping child to our room. I heard someone calling after me and turned to see this attractive, petite young woman running after me asking if there was anything she could do to assist me. She introduced herself as Amy, the Sales Director. Mind you this was about 1pm on a Sunday afternoon and there was the director of sales offering her personal assistance. Along behind her came, Wyatt, to unload the trunk of my car as I pointed out the items we needed. Amy, parked my car for me as I carried my grandson to our room Wyatt met us at the door & unloaded all of our things while I laid my grandson on the bed, still sound asleep. In few moments Amy knocked at the door with my keys and my cup of recently purchased coffee that I wasn't able to carry. I felt so pampered and blessed by their sensitivity to my need and their quick attentiveness. It was service with the warmest of smiles and sincerity!! Way to go Shell Island Resort. As my grandson would say "Your my favorite!" We needed some room service that was also delivered promptly and by very sweet and friendly staff. My overall experience was wonderful!!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have ocean view. Our room was across from housekeeping storage, but it wasn't...

fullofjoygrl,
Thank you for your warm and positive feedback concerning your stay with us here at Shell Island Resort. We are excited to hear our staff went above and beyond, particularly with our Director of Sales Amy Snider. She, along with the rest of our resort staff exemplifies what we want and what you should expect at our beautiful secluded resort with the focus on great customer service. We appreciate you staying with us and look forward to your return trip real soon! Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wrightsville Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Residence Inn Wilmington Landfall

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!