“Beautiful views and great people.”

Shell Island Resort
Mundelein, Illinois
“Beautiful views and great people.”
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We are big travelers and found this resort to be a refreshing discovery. The service was incredibly friendly, from valet to beach to room to front desk. The view was beautiful...we will return to this great resort.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I stayed here with our 1-year-old son. I was excited about the trip as I have stayed at Shell Island several times in the past and have been quite satisfied with the experience. Unfortunately, this stay turned out to be different. To begin, the price of the room was quite high (around $300 per night). Second, we were unable to get much sleep due to a very loud party being held in the unit next to ours. While this can happen in any hotel, it added to the disappointment. The next morning we awoke and were excited to introduce our son to the hotel pool. We found the pool closed all day and no one could tell us what the problem was. We then needed to change a diaper and asked the front desk staff where the closest changing table was. They had no idea and were not willing to help us locate one. We looked everywhere and could not find one on the main level and ended up changing his diaper on the floor of the lobby. The most unfortunate aspect of the experience was the poor response from customer service. They did not provide any helpful response to what I felt was valid feedback and instead offered a reduced rate later in the year. I will not pursue this as it does not address my concerns and I feel it is important to let other families know of our disappointing (and expensive) experience. I hope that it is helpful.

4 Thank kb27707
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed May 26, 2011

This was my first visit to this resort. Our stay was only 3 nights, came in Sunday and left Wednesday. The cost was a little over 210 a night.

The pros: Every room is ocean front view. We stayed on the 6th floor so the view was as good as it gets! All rooms have a small balcony (3 people max) . The room was very nice but pretty small. It did have 1.5 bathroom which was nice for such a small room. The bed room had its own small lcd tv which was nice. The kitchen/living room was ok and functional. A two burner stove, microwave above that, sink, and small fridge. Kitchen had everything you needed to cook to include dishes and Silverware . The pools one inside and one outside were fairly small but kept very clean. I'm guessing about 20 chairs for laying out in the sun with maybe 10 tables with big sun umbrellas. Also one small hot tub at the outside pool. There is a nice short wooden walkway straight to the beach. Also one fresh water shower with a outlet at the bottom if you only wanted to rinse your feet off. Note this was a congestion area at times as people had to wait on each other. Also ate lunch in the hotel resteraunt the food was good, slaw was awesome if you love horseraddish like I do. Both of us ate for around 20 bucks. I could have done with out the fries on the floor but oh well.

The beach is just perfect. Very large area, and since this is the last hotel (excuse me "resort" on the island, there are no other buildings obstructing your view toward the north.

My biggest pro and this one is a biggie for me. Every hotel staff I came across looked me in the eye and had something nice to say or ask if there was anything they could help me with. I know they work hard every day but I got the feeling most everyone enjoyed their job and it shows in the way the guests are treated. This is the main reason I will stay here again.

Ok now for the cons. The cost is a bit much for the size of the rooms.

Although I didn't stay on the ground floor I don't see how you could see the ocean because of the sand dunes. If the view is important to you I would say second floor or better.

As for noise, the walls seem pretty thin. Granted it was after midnight I don't feel I should be able to hear my upstairs neighbor going to the bathroom. Sorry for tmi but I could. Also because of the sturdy concrete construction and the fact that the bed room is located beside the only walkway to the rooms which is outside by the way, expect to hear and feel everyone walk by. Our last night was not so fun due to some teens that were running up and down at 2 am.

Let's see I guess the only other things. We reported a slow draining tub on Sunday to the front desk which was never seen to. No biggie. As a side not if you are a real tall person the shower was maybe 6' 4" tall. Just my guess.

So overall a nice place that's a little small for the price. Weekend of course pretty crowded. A family friendly place imo. Staff is 5 star! Also note there is a life guard station right in front of the hotel. You can rent big umbrellas and beach chairs for the day if desired.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Tarheelroots
ShellIsland1, Manager at Shell Island Resort, responded to this review, May 31, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property. We're glad that you enjoyed your time with us and take great pride in our staff providing anything that our guests needs.
I'll make sure that our staff receives your positive feedback.
If there is ever a time that you'd like to return, please don't hesitate to call our Sales office to help assist in possibly finding a better rate. It never hurts to ask and we will do what we can to accommodate.
Thanks again and have a wonderful summer.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 13, 2011

Absolutely heaven on the beach. The Shell Island is the number one place to stay when in Wrightsville Beach. From the minute we stepped out of our car to check in, the staff treated us as royalty. Everyone is always so friendly, from the guys carting your luggage to the front desk, to the cleaning people, to the rental guy on the beach with chairs and umbrellas. The resort is always absolutely sparkling, as are the rooms. The restaurant, while being very convenient, serves great food any time of the day.

We visit family in Wrightsville Beach, and the kids always look forward to coming to Shell Island to visit us so they can use the indoor pool.

This was our second stay with Shell Island, and we plan to stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Just call and talk to one of the staff.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Missy7814
Asheville
Reviewed May 5, 2011

We were so pleased to have the view of the ocean and the large beach. The rooms have a balcony, living room area, 4-top table and a kitchen. Nice to have an option to cook instead of eating out for every meal.

Room Tip: Ask for a 01 room (501, 401)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Very disappointed that the indoor pool was closed - it was an unappealing green color and smelled strange. The location was great and the room had a great view. Room was dusty however. Check in staff was friendly but disorganized - they could not figure out how to make the credit card machine work leading to a delay in our check in.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Location is incredible - its at the farthest end of the island, so not as crowded as other locations, especially the rival (higher priced) named resort. Beach quality is also excellent. Powdery white sands. Further down towards the crowded areas / pier it was nowhere near as nice.

Room was great - a full picture window overlooking the great beach and a little balcony with chairs. Nice kitchenette. Beds were a little well used, but I still got a great nights sleep.

Staff had a passion for service & great attitude. I often saw the manager/supervisor walking the grounds checking everything was in order (which it was). Place was very well kept, & clean. I did not have any problems, but felt if there was a difficulty the staff would do everything they could to help.

We ate in the restaurant one night. The food was cooked nicely & portions were well sized. It was good value, quality cooking perfectly suited for families (perhaps better than say a Cracker Barrel). Service was excellent. We would eat there again, especially due to convenience.

I was glad I booked here & had a great stay. It was great value for the money at $169 a night. I would certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: Avoid room on lower floors & center of hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wrightsville Beach
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Shell Island Resort? Share your experiences!