“Fun times”

Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
New Holland, Ohio
“Fun times”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

Came down to Wrightsville Beach for a wedding in June. Had a great time at the Holiday Inn. Location is excellent. It is away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the beach area. Rooms were awesome. Beach is so pretty. Servers around the pool were more worried about staying in the shade and not wanting to serve the patrons. On several occasions we were unable to get help from the server staff and had to go over to the bar to get our own food and drinks. Other than that it was awesome!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
AmandaRochelle, arochelle@wrightsville.holidayinnresorts.com at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
We're so glad you had a great time with us Mark A! Our resort is definitely located in a great area. I will pass on your comments to our Food & Beverage Director regarding the service poolside, I do apologize. We do hope to see you again, more fun times are to be had :o) Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Mgr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Pinehurst
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed for one night in an ocean front room with a small balcony and a great view, The room was fine but starting to show some wear as most beach hotels start to do. Room was very clean and no water bugs were spotted. A very nice pool with two hot tubs were being enjoyed on a warm summer day. The beach is super clean and beautiful. The breakfast buffet was great for $12.50 and included an omelet station. However, it was somewhat tacky to have a tip jar at the omelet station as you just don't see that in better hotels. Overall a very nice and well managed hotel.

1 Thank Tom M
Thank you Tom M for choosing us for your mini vacay and for recognizing our great hotel. We agree about the tip jar. Sorry, that is not supposed to happen and we will reiterate that to the omelet station. We do look forward to your return :o) Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Mgr
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel, possibly more than any other hotel and have always enjoyed my time here. This trip was no exception, however it is just starting to go downhill a little bit and it appears as if this hotel has finally caved in to the misinformed fad that smoking is not OK on your balcony.

Thankfully, I have kicked the habit, so this rule no longer applies to me, but I find it absolutely absurd for a hotel to tell paying customers that they can not smoke on their balconies. And to anyone who "simply can't take the smell," I assure you that you also emit smells that other people don't like, and likely sounds as well. I am VERY disappointed in this hotel for finally caving in to this fad. It is hilarious to me that the same people who complain about smoking also have no problem with walking down a busy street and breathing in all of the harmful vehicle emissions. I assure you that the second hand smoke from a cigarette outdoors is nothing compared to that. Anyway, if you are a smoker and were looking forward to staying at a fairly nice hotel and having the convenience of your balcony to smoke on, think again and choose somewhere else.

As for the rest of our stay, the hotel is starting to show some wear and tear. The furniture in the rooms is starting to look a little rough around the edges. The service, as always was good. The front desk were very helpful to us. The bell staff, well, they tend to leave you alone unless you ask for help. That's fine by me, but having been a bell stand manager in the past, we were always eager to help the guests and even went so far as opening car doors to greet guests upon their arrival. The whole "laid back" thing is fine for me, but some guests may expect a little more.

We stayed for 3 nights in a harbor front room, which has a great view, and a unique one as most hotels on the East Coast don't offer a view of the sunset with water in the foreground. The room was fine, however the water pressure in the shower was pretty bad. After three nights in that room, most of the other guests checked out and we booked an extra night in an ocean front room. When we walked into our new room, the smell of mildew was overwhelming (more to my wife than to me). The front desk was very understanding and moved us to another room, that ironically, wreaked of cologne (further proof that even non-smokers emit obnoxious odors). My wife tried to stick it out, but ended up not being able to take it and we packed up and drove home around midnight. The General Manager was very understanding and refunded my points to me.

We did eat at the Oceans restaurant a few times during out stay and were pleased with the food and service. Neither of which were the best we've ever had, but they were definitely good enough. This trip also marked the million'th time that I haven't used the fitness center at this hotel, but I did at least go in and check it out. They have a small selection of cardio machines and a rack of dumbbells (that go up to 40 lbs I think). I believe that I recall seeing some sort of cable machine as well. Also, this room does have a view of the beach, which is always nice for a fitness room.

We didn't use the hotel shuttle during our stay, but it looks as if they now have two vans to shuttle people to and from area attractions. That is very nice compared to most other hotels in the area.

Overall, I would recommend this property, but I really wish they wouldn't have caved in to the misinformed fad and not allowed smoking on the balconies. Also, I hope that sometime in the next few years they will do a renovation. It is almost time.

Room Tip: Smokers, choose another hotel.
2 Thank Trent M
Thank you Trent M for staying with us again! We appreciate your suggestions for renovation and regarding our smoking policy. It was a hard decision but due to guest complaints and it being intrusive to outside diners we decided to put in place our non-smoking policy. We're sorry you feel that way but we hope you do understand. We hope to see you again :o) Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Mgr
Southeast
Reviewed June 18, 2014

First and foremost, the staff here is top notch. They go above and beyond to make guests happy, satisfied and comfortable. Whoever is hiring and training this staff gets a big "hats off" because they are super. The staff at the gift shop also great.

The property is very nice and well kept. Pool area clean and the staff around the common areas are also excellent. Very helpful. One note is that it seems that many people not staying at the hotel use the facilities. It was not overcrowded when we were there, so no big deal, but I could see on holiday and weekend how this could be an issue. Seems like a fair amount of locals using pool, chairs, towels, etc.

Rooms were clean and fine, but, nothing to write home about. Older furniture, cracks and scratches here and there, but the cleaning crew definitely works hard to keep them looking as good as they can.

The one "area of improvement" could be at the poolside bar. Everyone friendly, but food was pretty bad. Everything was super greasy and not very tasty. We only had lunch there, but no one seemed to enjoy it. The smoothies, however, were great! :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank takenthekids
AmandaRochelle, 910-256-2231 at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Yippee takenthekids! Yes, our staff is top notch and we do try to go above and beyond for all our guests. Thank you for the big "hats off" to our department managers who hire great employees. Our Lazy Daze Pool Bar & Grill does have quite a following because of the thirst-quenching drinks they make! Our pool attendants do try to keep the chairs and pool area open for hotel guests only but I will mention to our Food & Beverage Director for review. We hope to see you and your family again soon :o) Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Mgr
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and I have been coming back to the Holiday Innn Resort for the past 5 years. Year after year, we found it to be maintained very, very well. Now my wife is a little picky relative to cleanliness and we have never been disapointed, as the room (including the bathroom) is always spotless. The grounds are kept neat and clean as well. There are not alot of restaurants in Wrightsville Beach, therfore we choose to simply eat at the hotel and have never been disapointed with either our service of food. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice relaxing couple of days.

Room Tip: Definately get the oceanfront view. A corner (or near) room on the higher floors is good too.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Whoop! Whoop! Thanks for staying with us over the years runnerstaff. We appreciate your comments and recommendation. Did you watch the sunrise from your Oceanfront room? It is beautiful and not to be missed. Please visit us again soon :o) Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Mgr
Clarksburg, West Virginia
Reviewed June 16, 2014

First off I would just like to state what a wonderful beach town that Wrightsville Beach, Nc is! Everyone in the city was very friendly and there was so much to do! The beaches were incredibly nice and extremely clean!

Let me now make several well deserved comments on the hotel!

This hotel is one of the best properties that I have stayed in! Being an IHG/Holiday Inn employee, I am essentially trained to find mistakes within a property. Let me tell you, that I found 0! My friends and I drove from West Virginia overnight to enjoy the beach throughout the day and we decided we would attempt to check in 7 hours early but we were not going to hold our breath. Not only was the hotel able to check us in extremely early, the GM was able to upgrade us to ocean front!

Our room was larger than I had expected from reading previous reviews and the balcony overlooked the amazing pool and restaurant deck. Our restroom was very spacious and we loved the walk in closet this room offered! Even though we did not use it, this room was equipped with a large Jacuzzi which would make some people happy! The beds were incredibly comfortable and I slept like a rock every night so kudos to that!

The staff at this property was incredible! The front desk staff were very well trained and although I can't remember the gentleman's name who checked us in, he was fantastic at his job! The housekeeping staff was very efficient and timely if you ever needed anything. The two gentlemen working the Lazy Daze bar were incredibly nice and friendly! The lady who I constantly saw cleaning the doors into the pool area was super friendly as well! I can't end this review without mentioning how friendly and helpful this hotel's GM, Anne was to us! She did everything she could to make sure we had a pleasant stay!

Thank you all for helping me to enjoy my vacation and we will definitely be back next year!

David

PS, the only thing I could find wrong is that the balcony didn't have a screen door. It would have been awesome to listen to the waves as we slept AND keep the mosquitos out. However, this takes nothing away from this amazing trip!

Room Tip: Our room was by the elevator but we didn't hear it one single time over the course of a week.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
You & your friends ROCK DavidG88304! We appreciate all of your kudos and comments about our wonderful Wrightsville Beach, NC and our incredible resort and staff. We do aim to please and looks like we hit our target :o) We can't wait to see you again next year! Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Mgr
Cary
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

As a person who used to love this hotel I am very sad to have to write this review. My kids and I checked into this hotel earlier this evening only to have stayed a few hours. as our room was already occupied with giant "water bugs". When I called the front desk some one came up right away and found the problem. Unfortunately there was no remedy for our situation as the front desk people told us that there is nothing they can do about the "water bugs" because the hotel is on the beach and the "water bugs" like damp climates. They did offer us another room, we declined and checked out immediately. Sorry Holiday Inn at Wrightsville Beach I used to be a big fan of yours.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Mom2bsc
AmandaRochelle, 910-256-2231 at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Mom2bsc, I am so sorry for our service failure in handling the situation. After speaking to our General Manager yesterday, I do hope that you decide to return to us one day. Thank you again for your loyalty and we hope to see you and your family again. Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Mgr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wrightsville Beach
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach? Share your experiences!