“Always Nice” 5 of 5 stars

Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Always Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn Resort (formerly Sunspree) a handful of times on points, mainly for weekend getaways. Although I have never been upgraded with my platinum status, I can't complain because I was staying on points each time.

There really is no bad view from this hotel. Wrightsville Beach is located on a barrier island, very close to the mainland (Wilmington, NC). Most folks jump on the opportunity to have a beachfront view, but I actually prefer the Sound view because you get to watch the sunset every night and it is normally cheaper. I may be biased as I lived and worked in Wrightsville Beach for many years, but to me, nothing beats that sunset...

The room was pretty standard on our last stay. Microwave, fridge, HD flatscreen TV. The bathroom was also standard for the Holiday Inn brands with the exception of the shower head. I stay at Holiday Inns all the time and most of them (especially the Express chain) have those terribly weak shower heads with no water pressure. Thankfully, this hotel hasn't gone that route. It was so refreshing having a real shower with plenty of water pressure and hot water.

The staff was fantastic, all the way from the bellmen to the front desk and room service. Also, this hotel has plenty of parking, which is rare for most hotels on Wrightsville Beach. We never use many of the facilities when we visit this hotel, but I haven't heard many complaints and they all look to be kept up quite well.

Room Tip: As I mentioned in my review, the Sound view is excellent as well.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Trent M
AmandaRochelle, Reservations Dept Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Hi Trent M,
Thank you for being a Priority Club member and taking the time to give us a review too. Depending on the time of year & availability we always try to upgrade our Platinum members. And yes, the sunsets are the best :o) I will pass along to all, your compliments on our staff - thank you for recognizing us. Come back soon, give our Inhouse Reservations Dept a call to plan your next visit, 910-256-2231. Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
kms37
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree for a business event. The oceanfront room was wonderful. I enjoyed spending time sitting on the balcony overlooking the ocean and watching the surfers. The beds were comfortable and the room was spacious. I also spent time at the hotel restaurant and the bar. The staff was very friendly. This was not my first time at the resort and I love going there! I've never had a bad experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank kms37
AmandaRochelle, Reservations Dept Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hi kms37,
Thank you for staying with us again and again. The oceanfront balconies are a good spot to zone out on the waves and surfers. We're excited you enjoyed your stay with us and we await your return soon :o) Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Manager
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We spent only one, very rainy night here. The room was big and comfortable with enormous plate glass window looking out over the swimming pool and sea. The shower wasn't bad and the bed was comfortable. We had undercover parking. The breakfast was uninspiring, the juice not good and fruit selection poor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hey Adele D,
So glad you enjoyed your Oceanfront room and comfy bed. The 2-story parking deck is a great perk for our hotel guests. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the breakfast items but please try us again. We look forward to your return! Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our goal was a quick, midweek getaway to celebrate a birthday. Their off season rate was a determining factor in our hotel choice. We were a bit disappointed that we could not get a requested ocean front room due to the hotel being filled with a conference. However, Matt at check-in said not to worry and that he'd get us in one the very next day so we didn't unpack completely. To our amazement the housekeeping staff was across the hall early the next morning turning over an ocean front room. We were able to wheel our stuff across the hall by mid-morning. The big king bed was comfy! Kudos to Matt and the housekeeping staff for excellent customer service. As this was a short stay, we decided to try their Oceans restaurant for meals. Anni and Lisa did a wonderful job in taking care of us. We found the menu selections and prices to be very good and reasonable. It would also be hard to top the ocean view. Their treatment and presentation of shrimp and grits was unique and very tasty. The restaurant staff gets a tip of the hat for keeping us onsite. Management is doing something right here because this staff gets high marks.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PRMoose
AmandaRochelle, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Hi there PRMoose...We are SUPER excited that your goal of a midweek getaway was accomplished. Also, Happy Belated Birthday from all of our staff. We appreciate all of your wonderful comments about our resort and staff members (Matt, Anni, Lisa and our houskeeping staff). We're so delighted that you were able to take advantage of the great room with a marvelous ocean view and our fabulous restaurant. This is truly how we like for our guest to enjoy themselves. I will let all of the mentioned departments know about your wonderful comments and experience. Again, we appreciate all of your kind words and hope that you hurry back soon.
Boone, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Great hotel and off-season rates were very reasonable. Check in was very smooth and I unexpectedly got a very early check in, and when you have been in the car for a very long ride with a toddler, this will give any hotel experience an extra star. The pools were well maintained and the view in the restaurant was incredible, great place for breakfast, although I thought the food quality was more three star. The kids pancakes were almost inedible, really, who cannot make pancakes? Good location, easy access and a large parking garage. Beach was great, room quality great and kept very clean. We had a two queen bed with ocean front balcony on the top floor and we loved it. Room service was fast but again, food quality was not as good as hoped. Overall good experience and I would go again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
AmandaRochelle, Reservations Dept Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us Luv2TravNStyle! I am glad you and your little one had a Great Winter Trip at our resort. The indoor heated pool is perfect this time of year :o) I appreciate your feedback about the Kid's pancakes and have passed them on to our Executive Chef, Eric Riley, to make sure we can improve where needed. We do look forward to seeing you two again soon. Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Manager
Apex, North Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel did not disappoint! I was in the area for business and decided to stay on the beach. The staff was very friendly. I did not reserve an ocean front room but at check-in, I asked and was given a room on an upper floor with a magnificent view of the ocean. I did have a problem with the heating unit not working. It was less than 5 min from the time I called to report the problem until a maintenance worker was at my door. They had it fixed in no time. I was very impressed. I would also recommend eating at the restaurant. The food was very good for a hotel restaurant. I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing us Tracey W! Glad to hear our Maintenance Dept was right on time to fix the heater. With comfy beds, roomservice, free WiFi & Business Center and the best views on Wrightsville Beach what else do you need for a productive Business trip? Now let's talk vacation! Give our Inhouse Reservations Dept a call 910-256-2231. Thank you again for staying with us :o) Sincerely, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Manager
Belfast, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Customer service at this hotel is beyond amazing. The staff is so sweet and helpful. The hotel was gorgeous , the rooms are spotless. The views from the rooms are breath taking, the oceanfront rooms are definitely worth the extra few dollars. The onsite restaurant is an experience in itself, the food was delicious! Best hotel stay I have ever had !

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jmarie4816
AmandaRochelle, Reservations Dept Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Wow jmarie4816! You are too much, thank you for your compliments :o) I'm so happy you had an amazing time with us. Did you try the Macadamia Encrusted Mahi Mahi in our Oceans Restaurant? It's dee-licious and even better dining alfresco on the Oceanfront terrace. Don't be a stranger, we hope to see you again soon - spring's almost here! Thank you again, Amanda Rochelle, Reservations Dept Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wrightsville Beach
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#1 of 19 in Carolina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 364 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Wrightsville Beach? Share your experiences!