“Don't waste your vacation here or your money”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Customer service at the front desk is not there to please the guest; they do have an attitude. It would seem the first people you see when coming in the hotel lobby would leave the guest with a good impression.
Bad communication-shuttle service from the airport to hotel is available; but they don't tell you you have to make a reservation ahead time or you will have to pay $35.00 for a cab. We ordered the rendevous package, called the manager of the restaurant and asked if we could have wine and cheese instead of champagne and strawberries. He replied no problem it will be delivered to your room in 15 minutes; no one ever showed up nor did they call. We called the front desk and they said we couldn't switch....once again lack of communication/follow up. Cleanliness - pool was dirty, hot tub didn't work, elevator worked on and off, no water jug in the weight room. When we reported this to the front desk; we were told these things are out of their control. I left two messages for the manager to contact me about my experience; guess what it has been one month and I haven't heard a work. We signed up for massages; but when we scheduled them we were not told they didn't take place in the hotel. We found out when we went to the front desk for our appointment they would take place at another location.... We have never been treated like this and so disappointed by the lack of customer service...Holiday Inn Sunspree is much better

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,289)

Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and i went this past weekend for a getaway and it was marvelous. For 99 dollars a night, we had champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, delicious dinner for two saturday night, and a great breakfast buffet saturday and sunday morning. i am so happy to recommend this place to anyone. i can hardly wait to return in june for our 7 anniversary. i just booked a three night stay earlier today. i have something to look forward to. Wilmington was beautiful, though rainy and a wonderful place all around. I LOVED IT. FABULOUS

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2009

We spent a week at this hotel. Staff was great. They had upgraded our room with an ocean view, lucky us, it was beautiful. Had a good time, rooms were clean and roomy. They just need to put more lights when you walk into the room. Bathroom was a little small but that wouldn't keep us form staying there again. As a matter of fact when we do go back we will stay here. Everyone was professional and kind, nice change!

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Collete
Reviewed January 19, 2009

After reading Heidi's review, I decided to book a rendevous package for the weekend of January 17-19. My husband and I arrived Saturday afternoon and were greeted promptly by the valet who was very polite and friendly. Check in was quick, friendly, answered our questions. We were given a complimentary upgrade to ocean front room! When we entered our room we had a card, chocolate strawberries and champagne waiting for us. Our room was very clean, recently remodeled with tile floors, granite in the bathroom and two queen beds. Despite the frigid temperature outside the heater was doing a good job of keeping the room comfortable. The beach view was gorgeous and we got there just in time to watch the sun set. Complimentary dinner in the EAST restaurant was very good, wait staff was friendly, meal was overall very enjoyable. The next morning, the buffet breakfast was fine. My husband loved the biscuits and gravy and I enjoyed the thick slabs of whole wheat bread that I used to make toast. On our second morning, there was an omelet and waffle station set up. We had delicious omelets and shared a huge belgian waffle. The hotel is small, very personal feel. All of our requests were handled quickly with a smile. We got an extra blanket, buckets of ice, sodas billed to the room and our dessert packed to take back to our room upon request, all nice touches. We will definitely return to the blockade runner in the future. It had the feel of a hip boutique type of hotel in quiet little Wrightsville beach, we loved it.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed January 14, 2009

My significant other booked a rendezvous weekend package and it was fantastic! EVERYONE at the hotel was friendly and they could not do enough for us! Breakfast for 2 days was included along with dinner Saturday night. Our server in the restaurant was wonderful! Rooms are redecorated and large. Staff from front desk, maintenance and bellboy were excellent! Would definitely stay again and have already recommended to co-workers.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2008

just spent thanksgiving weekend at the blockade. the thanksgiving buffet was off the hook! the entire ballroom was transformed into an endless buffet with seafood of all types, including shrimp and grits, pork, beef, of course turkey, countess vegetables, salads, deserts and almost anything else you could imagine. this hotel has a terrific chef and the food is always top shelf. we visit this resort 5-6 times a year and have for over a decade. the staff is wonderful and they make you feel at home. the hotel offers complimentary valet parking and shuttle service to othe areas on the island and mainland. summer is great with food and beverage service poolside and on the beach. this hotel is owned and operated by the same family since the early seventies and usually one of the owners is on site every day. rooms have recently been updated and feature mini-fridges and flat screen television. there are workout facilities, a sauna, and a large indoor hot tub which can be used year round. the hotel is situated perfectly between the beach and sound. you can enjoy sunsets with your favorite cocktail on the blockade soundside pier and gazebo. not glitzy like the ritz, but warm, clean, friendly, and welcoming. enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2008

My wife and I stayed the evening of 24 Oct, 2008. The next morning, 8 vehicles in the hotel's parking lot had shattered windows. Many others had multiple stone chips, broken windshields, etc. The high winds had blown small stones/pea gravel off the hotel's roof(I'm guessing the roof is the type with sealant and then a stone top layer. They would not allow access to prove it!). The hotel was the only thing between the ocean and my vehicle and yet the hotel denies all responsiblity. No police report could be acquired, since they don't write them for "weather related damages". Randy, a front desk worker, told me the hotel was liable, and that a manager would contact me. After 2 weeks of no contact, I called them. I spoke with Bethany, a general manager of sales. She told me that the hotel was in no way liable, since I couldn't prove the damage was caused by the stones from the roof.

The morning of 25 Oct, 2008, I was at the Salt Marsh Kayak Co, to purchase some End of Season Sale Kayaks(at the companies location, not the waterfront by the hotel). An older gentleman saw my shattered rear glass. I told him what happened. He yelled to his wife and said, "The Blockade Runner got another one! Look at his missing window!" That indicates to me this is not an isolated incident. The gentleman said they've known about the problem for quite some time. When you include the $500 deductible I have on my truck, the time to have all $2918.02 in damages repaired, and the money spent on this OVER PRICED hotel, the allure of the "free breakfast" has lost all its luster!!!! Feel free to ask me any questions: [-]

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!