“Lovely Property on Beach but the food......”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Wife and I spent Fri & Sat night at the Blockade runner. The 2 day package included a dinner and breakfasts. The breakfast buffets were lukewarm at best and a cold breakfast is not the way to start the day. The included dinner was from a limited menu and the steak my wife ordered was off as if it was too old or going bad. She sent it back and took the short ribs of which I had a taste. The ribs were foul and I should hope the health department does a through inspection.
Go over to Front street and find some riverside great dining at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Check your bill carefully, a small charge appeared which we were told was for the Hot Chocolate, whe...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,332)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

The Blockade Runner is a beautiful hotel with updated rooms, wonderful service, and everything I desire in a beachfront destination. The front desk staff was so accommodating, arranging shuttle rides everywhere for us. The breakfast was very good, and what can I say about the beautiful beach?? If you can complain about this place, then I'm not sure what you are expecting, as the only thing I can find to remotely complain about is that some hooks for towels would have been very welcome.

I cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Visitor60864
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was our tenth visit in three years. We consider Blockade Runner our beach house. The staff is wonderful, cooperative and friendly. The front desk managers Nick and Andi are always helpful and have become our friends. The breakfast is fresh and dinners at the restaurant are well prepared under the direction of Roger, who is friendly and always willing to help. The servers are great and remember us whenever we come, especially Tommy!!
The lobby has been totally redone and is beautiful. Our room is always clean and has a beautiful ocean view. There was a great performance by one of the original "Platters". The owners of this property live on or near the property and we had the opportunity to meet Mary, one of the owners, and she was extremely warm and friendly. I am certain the reason this place is so wonderful.

Room Tip: Top floor ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Angel K
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We really liked the Blockade Runner. Although we went in the winter so we didn't get to enjoy the pool area. I really like the setup around the pool. Very nice looking. We didn't eat the breakfast so I cant comment on that. Will definitely return in the summertime.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kim H
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Beautiful outside property and the lobby is done very cute. Really I think other places in Wrightsville pale in comparison when it comes to the grounds (FYI pool is on the small side). The bell hops are awesome, my experience with the front hotel staff was less than stellar. I think we had someone helping us that was very new and was not very accommodating.

The rooms are underwhelming with hard beds, tough towels, and small bathrooms. If you have a wheelchair for the room we stayed at you would be hard pressed to get in because the doorways are small (I am sure they have rooms to accommodate but it was just not ours). Great shuttle service and random cat roaming the property :).

Great location, would stay again but would make sure I got an upper level room away from the elevator. Also would try to get an oceanfront room in the building closer to the water for a better view.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank meridith m
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We decided to stay here during our 3-day honeymoon. There was a small problem checking in , but they were very good about straightening it out. We had an Oceanside 6th floor room which was nice, but not what I would call great. It was very clean, however, and had a wonderful king-size bed. We didn't eat lunch or dinner in the restaurant, preferring to venture out and eat in local restaurants (take the short drive into Wilmington for shopping and a great selection of restaurants - try Indochine). However, we did go down to the breakfast buffet (which came with the room) early in the mornings, and I must say, there was a large selection to choose from, and the food was excellent. My wife loves flowers and the landscaping around the resort is beautiful. There is an outdoor pool which is ample, but not olympic size. We enjoyed swimming up the "canal" that leads to the indoor hot tub (great for my aching knees). Overall, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Don't get a Soundside room. The sound is pretty far off and your view will be mostly of the par...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David18748947
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We (two of us) were checked in very quickly and staff seemed courteous. The lobby is very nice (with one or two unusual art choices) with a view back into a well-landscaped pool area. The ocean is not directly visible from the lobby.

We had a "Club Harbor" (ie. "above the 3rd floor) room on the 7th floor overlooking the harborside, and we stayed there through MLK weekend. The room was great, clean, etc., probably a 8.5-9 on a 1-10 scale considering our expectations and what we paid. There was another room on the floor that had some kind of water leak, but I don't know anything more about it than that.

Breakfast buffet was good, except for the biscuits and gravy which were actually pretty exceptional imo. Much of our satisfaction comes from the buffet being free with the room; I wouldn't say it's worth the $15 it supposedly costs. Maybe $10$11; there's no waffle maker or beverage station (waitresses bring beverages) or warm maple syrup.

We expected the place to be deserted given that it was 40-50 degrees that weekend, but there was some kind of paddleboat race going on so there were a fair amount of guests. The hotel seems to host lots of events; there was one on Friday and on Saturday. We never ended up eating at their restaurant for anything besides breakfast. It goes without saying that we didn't try out their pool (although the hot tub was quite nice).

Random Notes:
Parking lot seemed a little small for the size of the hotel, but I can understand land being at a premium on the island. We never had a problem with parking during our stay though. Our floor had a slight musty odor in the hallway (not in the room), probably because it was carpeted. Another floor with hardwood floors that we saw didn't have the odor.

Room Tip: If you want to see the sunset (in winter, anyway), there's no need to splurge on a 7th floor roo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Residence Inn Wilmington Landfall

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!