“Great Ocean Views in a Comfortable Hotel”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Ohio
“Great Ocean Views in a Comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is very nice and the service is excellent. The rooms are well kept, but a bit on the small side. The hotel offers balconies, but you need to check carefully to assure you will actually get a balcony. We had a sliding glass door, but no balcony. The restaurant is nice and has a good breakfast buffet, although the food was just warm and never hot.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a balcony room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Raeford, North Carolina
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have always given this resort and its staff top marks, but am a bit disappointed apparently this has evaded my attention in previous trips, but NONE of the rooms come with an available microwave. I came to Wrightsvile Beach to attend a wedding, and could've stayed at a number of hotels. I chose the BR because of my pleasant experiences before hand. I became disappointed that, with the least expensive room available (approx $175/night with a military discount), I was unable to get my bag of microwave popcorn popped anywhere on the premises(my son had endured a day full of nuptial protocols, I thought he deserved some popcorn). I asked in the bar and at the front desk, and while all were polite, addressed me as they had no idea what a microwave was. Do I love this hotel? Yes. Do I think they go above and beyond for their patrons(for example, as I have done for them by writing excellent reviews on tripadvisor.com)? NO. so, until I get notice, or otherwise remunerated, I'll look to other hotels that I've visited and liked, maybe not as much as BR, but they are less expensive and I can get a lousy bag of microwave popcorn popped.

Room Tip: No microwaves available! Unacceptable for the price of your room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jillmahurin
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We had stayed in downtown wilmington for a couple of days before heading out to wrights ills beach for a couple days. We arrived early, round 10 am and I went in to see if they would let us park and go enjoy the beach until afternoon checking time. I was somewhat scared cause I've had some scary experiences in other hotels. The young lady was so happy and genuinely glad to see us, found our room was already available and checked us right in! Amazing over the top service!
Our room was on the sound side and we loved it. The boats coming and going and the sunset view was beautiful. I snuck in one of the oceanfront rooms while a maid was cleaning it, save some $$$ and pick the sound side. No real balcony, just sliding doors with a cage.
I don't want to rant about the pool bar because it is pretty and the bartender was very accommodating, BUT.... 15$ for a drink in a plastic cup! 7$ for a can beer! Even for beachfront that is crazy! We rode back across drawbridge, abc store on left pass Harris teeter and came back and made our own. I went downstairs and asked for ice, felt bad poor boy had to come all the way to our room for a small bucket of ice. They also charge for beach chairs and umbrellas, we have our own but at those prices for a night they should be included.
The famous br breakfast is a wait for a hastily bussed table done by an anxious stressed young person. Eggs, meat, pancakes, French toast, fruit, pastries. It's all there, just not great but not bad. The anxious server brings you your beverage and then drops a 0.00 check, I guess so you can leave tip. One morning I did, the other morning the server never even had a chance to drop it. We got tired of waiting, there were guests staring hungrily at our table, we just left.
Beautiful beach, but the real gem was the sound. Nice chairs set up across the street on the small beach. I waded in the warm water, enjoyed the sunset. Great photos because wasn't as windy as the beach. This hotel centrally located in middle of island, the others were all the way at end of island.

Room Tip: 7th floor rooms were bit noisy due to ac unit on top of building but view was great. Loved the soun...
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed September 24, 2013

The Blockade Runner is nice, the service is good, and the place is well maintained. While the hotel is something of an NC tradition, and while the free valet parking and shuttle service are nice, there isn't much there that you wouldn't find at a Holiday Inn. And the prices are higher. The rooms are spartan, with no microwave and styrofoam cups to accompany the tiled floors. Our room had a shower only. The room service rate for a 2-egg breakfast was $20. The breakfast buffet provides good food, but nothing out of the ordinary, such as an omlete station or anything beyond scrambled eggs and steam-table pancakes. It's fun, the location and beach are nice, but "boutique," as it says on their sign out front, is a bit of a stretch.

Room Tip: Seaside is nicer than sound-side, oviously enough.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Sparta, New Jersey
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is lovely. I have stayed here 3 times. Stayed in the full balcony rooms. The balconies are huge with very large sliding glass door. Location is superb... right on the beach. Every staff member was friendly. This hotel is not glamourous but the atmosphere is intimate and warm. I saw another review that stated the breakfast was $17. Not sure if this is an old review... The breakfast buffet was included when I stayed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Nadjameo
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I live about 15 miles from Wrightsville Beach but always wanted to "stay" at the beach, so we decided to try the Blockade Runner for one night. I must say - I was really pleasantly surprised! The room was clean, neat, faced the ocean and we were delighted with everything about this place.

Our booking even came with a breakfast buffet which was just perfect! I want to stay again and again and again....yes, I'll be back!

3 Thank Michele K
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just back from 4 days at Blockade Runner. This is a place to come for friendly fun, there's something for families, kids, couples, there was even a work/fun conference thing going on when we were there. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful.

Room: We had a remodeled Oceanfront room with modern furniture, comfy beds, big flat screen TV. The room had tile floors, inevitably they get sandy and so do your sheets, maybe grab an extra towel from the pool area for a bedside rug. The bathroom was compact with no exhaust fan, so expect a steamy shower.

Room location note: the rooms with a real balcony are in a small building offset to the left of the main structure. Because of this, oceanfront rooms (with juliet balcony) that end in ..21 and ..23 appear to have a partially or completely obstructed sea view.

WiFi: My apple products could not hold onto the signal for long, couldn't stream Netflix or hulu, got lucky with xfinity once; kindle fire seemed to have no problem.

Dining: The included morning breakfast buffet was very good, eggs, bacon, biscuits, oatmeal, yogurt, pastries, french toast, the whole works every morning - yum! The hotel restaurant East Oceanfront Dining was absolutely delicious, dinner there was our favorite meal of the entire stay, with a tender filet and jumbo lump crabcake - really good!

Pool: Well attended by rug-rats on the weekend. I think it is hard to keep sand, etc. out of the water, not as crystal clear as I would have liked. Nice lounge chairs and music from the pool bar.

Pool bar: Overpriced. Two mixed drinks and a basket of chips cost almost as much as the incredible dinner we had in the restaurant. Something wrong with this picture.

Things to to: The gym was well equipped with machines; hot tub looked inviting; there are goals for soccer and bases for kickball baseball to set out on the lawn, bean bag toss, a putting green, etc. There is a tour desk in the lobby which can set you up with short cruises, kayak rentals, bicycles, etc. which are directly across the road from the hotel on the inlet side. The inlet has quiet water and a sandy beach that is great for little kids who can't take the active beach surf.

Beach: The hotel rents two lounge chairs and an umbrella for $30 a day, which I though was worthwhile. The sand is like all NC sand, shelly in spots, smooth in others. There always seems to be a breeze and good waves for body-surfing and boarding. The water moves you south pretty briskly down the beach; in my opinion children should not play in this active water without close supervision if it isn't low tide, when the water is shallow for quite a distance.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Blockade Runner.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!