“Great Time as Always!”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
W-S, NC
“Great Time as Always!”
Reviewed June 21, 2008

My husband discovered the Blockade Runner about 15 years ago when he began traveling North Carolina for business and we've been hooked ever since! We've always found the staff helpful and pleasant and willing to do whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable. We have never been disappointed in the quality of the housekeeping or the attention to detail.
We especially appreciate the landscaping around the hotel. The "back yard" is not just concrete and a swimming pool and then the beach, it is lush landscaping maintained everyday by full-time employees who know how to create beauty and a peaceful setting. Families enjoy the grassy area for a game of football, frisbee, or just playing tag barefooted.
I encourage anyone who loves the beach to give the Blockade Runner a try or a revisit if you haven't been there recently. You won't be disappointed!

• Liked — The staff was exceedingly friendly.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank gjg2jag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
WASHINGTON DC
Reviewed June 17, 2008

Although we agree the hotel is aging the service and location simply made it a wonderful stay. The staff went overboard in being friendly, accomodating and courteous from the valet service, to bar service to resturaunt and even the beach chairs rental guys. What a wonderful stay!

• Liked — Freindliness
  • Disliked — Age
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
chapel hill
Reviewed June 6, 2008

We first came to the Blockade Runner years ago as a tourists. Our company, Grinnell Leadership has been giving montly Executive Development Seminars across the country for over ten years now using many different Hotels for our events. For the past two years we have been using the Blockade Runner. Our clients love the experience they get at the Blockade Runner. The food so good it is always a great surprise, and the "hands-on" approach by the owners is a delight in a world of chain hotels. Since the renovations the feedback has gotten even better. The service is great. The location is the best beach location in North and South Carolina. With the view of banks channel on the west side of the Hotel with the sail and powerboats in their slips is beautiful. The cooling summer breeze along with the blue-green clear ocean water on the east side with the white beaches is absolutely breathtaking. Our clients from the DC area are amazed that it is only 30 minutes further than the Outer Banks by car to get here! Great jet-Airport makes it easy for our clients from other parts of the country to get here. Following our seminars our clients will bring their families back. A great place to get away or do work in a beautiful relaxed atmosphere with lots to beach activities to do. Also, the downtown area of Wilmington which is close by and its night-life cafes and Bistro style restaurants my wife and I affectionately call the best kept secret in North Carolina and the "Asheville of the East."

John Grinnell

• Liked — location, food, service, activites, gardens
  • Disliked — since the renovations everything works
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Genkide
wrightsville beach, nc
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Ahahahahahahahaha. Remodeling? There was a saying that goes "just putting lipstick on a pig". Thinking that applies here. This place wouldn't sell when the brother and sister owners tried. Converting all the rooms to condo's just won't work when you can't even plug in TWO hairdryers without tripping a breaker. Mold still everywhere. The bleach they use does kill some of it but then you have to awful smell of bleach. And mold. The little area on the harbor where they want you to swim, that has a sign on the bank warning people that if one does swim they are at risk of bacterial (fecal) infection because of the waste pipe just to the side. This pipe flows right into the water. Not to mention that you are 8 feet from very busy road.

• Stayed March 2008
4 Thank shinobe
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Well it was really my fault entirely. I booked the Holiday Inn in Wilmington, North Carolina, thinking it was the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, and then, with 8-year-old in tow, had to make a reservation at a beachfront hotel at the last minute from the lobby of the H.Inn Wilmington (the one next to Hooters). Was told I could check into the Blockade Runner at 3:00 p.m. when I phoned in my reservation. Got "admitted" to my room at 4:30 p.m. because I was told at my 3:45 check-in that my room was not ready. The room was, well, not worth waiting for. There was an exposed nail for art work with no art and a bathroom without a soap dish. The door would only latch from the inside with difficulty due to a loose screw. The remote for the TV did not work. Really on par with a Days Inn in West Texas. Of course, the lobby is hipster dufus and has pretentions of say, a Hotel Derek Houston. As other reviewers have noted, forget the wi-fi in your room--it ain't happening. The pool was closed and there was yellow police scene tape closing off part of the grounds when we arrived. The grounds are admittedly nice and workers were putting in additional plantings at the time of my stay. To keep my son happy, we dined at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, and enjoyed the guitar playing duo who honored my request of "Cripple Creek." I saw the prices of the restaurant, East, and worried that there was no way this facility (Blockade Runner) could deliver a meal that vies with Cafe Annie Houston at 36 dollars an entree. As far as intended audience goes, it would have to be for college-age singles who want to watch the NCAA tournament with their doors open while shouting f-word obscenities in the hallway. I called the front desk about that and the noise did cease. Love the review from the man who is worried about coming down with mesothelioma (because I am a pulmonary pathologist), but my room did not have any observable pathogens. The room did, however, have a health hazard because the hair dryer will burn your hand if you leave it on for more than 3 minutes. Maybe a lawyer will comment. This wraps it up for the doctor. I won't be back.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank doctoredits
Summerfield, North Carolina
Reviewed March 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed several nights at the Blockade Runner (for "business"). The view of the ocean was beautiful! The people working were exceptionally nice and helpful! The food in the restaurant was amazing - we have traveled a ton in recent months and it was the best we had! Even the free breakfast buffet was great w/ a chef preparing your personal omelets and waffles. They have a great fish tank in the restaurant worth checking out.

But the negatives... they were working on the place (desperately needs renovations), getting ready for the big season I suppose, so it smelled terribly of paint even in my room, there were loud noises all day out the window as they worked on the building (hard to concentrate on my work in my room), and going in/out you had to be careful of work above you. The room doors stuck so guests constantly slammed them shut very loudly every time someone went in and out. The walls/floors were thin so you could hear so much from your neighbors. I slept terribly all 3 nights. It said "balcony" on website but there was no balcony - there was a huge sliding glass door (that was almost impossible to open) but opening it there it just a metal railing, no actual balcony to step out onto. The internet worked for maybe 2 seconds the 3 days I was there total (at least the staff was trying to help me get online) and I really needed to get online for work which was a big reason to stay there - frustrating!

• Liked — people working there
  • Disliked — loud, needs renovations
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank filar
raleigh
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I have to start out by saying this is one of the worst hotel experiences of my life... I first paid an astronomical price for there so called rendezvous package for me and my wife. When I arrived at the hotel, It took me an hour to check into my room. When I arrived at the room, it smelled of horrible grungy mildew. The entire staff was rude and stuck up, as if they were the only people who belonged, or if they did not care to be there. I have never paid so much money and been so mistreated in my life. For the price one would expect something nice, but this place was like living in the 1970's. I feel like I am now coming down with a case of mesothelioma, and I will soon be one of those people calling James Scott Farren on the Hurtline... Part of the staff was so rude that they would not even let me explore the hotel as one naturally likes to know there surroundings. They also say that they have wireless internet and I could not get signal with my laptop anywhere in the hotel but the lobby. Who wants to do there personal business work in the lobby. When I asked the front desk, they had less of an idea of how to fix the problem than I did. It was just huge aggravation and waste of my time. Last but not least, the restaurant that I thought had a semi-nice appearance turned out to be a hugged disappointment! I was the only person in the restaurant with my "rendezvous" tickets and they wouldn't even let me watch a ACC tournament game. I felt like I deserved to watch whatever I wanted considering I was the only customer and I spent 110 dollars on alcohol!!! My overall experience at the Blockade Runner was not only a horrible experience, but it was way past its time, not a pleasant experience, and not worth the money AT ALL!!!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!