“A joke, this place is...”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
wrightsville beach, nc
“A joke, this place is...”
Reviewed May 31, 2008

Ahahahahahahahaha. Remodeling? There was a saying that goes "just putting lipstick on a pig". Thinking that applies here. This place wouldn't sell when the brother and sister owners tried. Converting all the rooms to condo's just won't work when you can't even plug in TWO hairdryers without tripping a breaker. Mold still everywhere. The bleach they use does kill some of it but then you have to awful smell of bleach. And mold. The little area on the harbor where they want you to swim, that has a sign on the bank warning people that if one does swim they are at risk of bacterial (fecal) infection because of the waste pipe just to the side. This pipe flows right into the water. Not to mention that you are 8 feet from very busy road.

• Stayed March 2008
4 Thank shinobe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Well it was really my fault entirely. I booked the Holiday Inn in Wilmington, North Carolina, thinking it was the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, and then, with 8-year-old in tow, had to make a reservation at a beachfront hotel at the last minute from the lobby of the H.Inn Wilmington (the one next to Hooters). Was told I could check into the Blockade Runner at 3:00 p.m. when I phoned in my reservation. Got "admitted" to my room at 4:30 p.m. because I was told at my 3:45 check-in that my room was not ready. The room was, well, not worth waiting for. There was an exposed nail for art work with no art and a bathroom without a soap dish. The door would only latch from the inside with difficulty due to a loose screw. The remote for the TV did not work. Really on par with a Days Inn in West Texas. Of course, the lobby is hipster dufus and has pretentions of say, a Hotel Derek Houston. As other reviewers have noted, forget the wi-fi in your room--it ain't happening. The pool was closed and there was yellow police scene tape closing off part of the grounds when we arrived. The grounds are admittedly nice and workers were putting in additional plantings at the time of my stay. To keep my son happy, we dined at the Holiday Inn Sunspree, and enjoyed the guitar playing duo who honored my request of "Cripple Creek." I saw the prices of the restaurant, East, and worried that there was no way this facility (Blockade Runner) could deliver a meal that vies with Cafe Annie Houston at 36 dollars an entree. As far as intended audience goes, it would have to be for college-age singles who want to watch the NCAA tournament with their doors open while shouting f-word obscenities in the hallway. I called the front desk about that and the noise did cease. Love the review from the man who is worried about coming down with mesothelioma (because I am a pulmonary pathologist), but my room did not have any observable pathogens. The room did, however, have a health hazard because the hair dryer will burn your hand if you leave it on for more than 3 minutes. Maybe a lawyer will comment. This wraps it up for the doctor. I won't be back.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank doctoredits
Summerfield, North Carolina
Reviewed March 21, 2008

My husband and I stayed several nights at the Blockade Runner (for "business"). The view of the ocean was beautiful! The people working were exceptionally nice and helpful! The food in the restaurant was amazing - we have traveled a ton in recent months and it was the best we had! Even the free breakfast buffet was great w/ a chef preparing your personal omelets and waffles. They have a great fish tank in the restaurant worth checking out.

But the negatives... they were working on the place (desperately needs renovations), getting ready for the big season I suppose, so it smelled terribly of paint even in my room, there were loud noises all day out the window as they worked on the building (hard to concentrate on my work in my room), and going in/out you had to be careful of work above you. The room doors stuck so guests constantly slammed them shut very loudly every time someone went in and out. The walls/floors were thin so you could hear so much from your neighbors. I slept terribly all 3 nights. It said "balcony" on website but there was no balcony - there was a huge sliding glass door (that was almost impossible to open) but opening it there it just a metal railing, no actual balcony to step out onto. The internet worked for maybe 2 seconds the 3 days I was there total (at least the staff was trying to help me get online) and I really needed to get online for work which was a big reason to stay there - frustrating!

• Liked — people working there
  • Disliked — loud, needs renovations
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank filar
raleigh
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I have to start out by saying this is one of the worst hotel experiences of my life... I first paid an astronomical price for there so called rendezvous package for me and my wife. When I arrived at the hotel, It took me an hour to check into my room. When I arrived at the room, it smelled of horrible grungy mildew. The entire staff was rude and stuck up, as if they were the only people who belonged, or if they did not care to be there. I have never paid so much money and been so mistreated in my life. For the price one would expect something nice, but this place was like living in the 1970's. I feel like I am now coming down with a case of mesothelioma, and I will soon be one of those people calling James Scott Farren on the Hurtline... Part of the staff was so rude that they would not even let me explore the hotel as one naturally likes to know there surroundings. They also say that they have wireless internet and I could not get signal with my laptop anywhere in the hotel but the lobby. Who wants to do there personal business work in the lobby. When I asked the front desk, they had less of an idea of how to fix the problem than I did. It was just huge aggravation and waste of my time. Last but not least, the restaurant that I thought had a semi-nice appearance turned out to be a hugged disappointment! I was the only person in the restaurant with my "rendezvous" tickets and they wouldn't even let me watch a ACC tournament game. I felt like I deserved to watch whatever I wanted considering I was the only customer and I spent 110 dollars on alcohol!!! My overall experience at the Blockade Runner was not only a horrible experience, but it was way past its time, not a pleasant experience, and not worth the money AT ALL!!!

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
5 Thank bryers12
NC
Reviewed March 17, 2008

During our stay at the Blockade Runner I kept hearing the staff refer to it as a resort - I'm not sure I would call it a resort, but it was a fine oceanfront hotel. The room compared to other similar hotels I have stayed in with the exception that this one had a smaller shower than others but a large LCD (plasma?) TV. We had a nice view of the inlet waterways and the room was clean and kept clean by the daily service.

A few drawbacks - spotty wireless internet connections - sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. It was recommended that I "try it in the lobby". Parking - the lot filled up every night and two nights we were forced to use the hotel's free valet service. I personally don't like turning over my car to valets here or anywhere but might not be an issue for others. Check in/out They won't allow you use of luggage carts but do have people available to do it for you. Nice, but we had to wait 15-20 min when we were ready to leave for someone to come get our bags, I would have preferred to do it myself, but again others may not mind the wait.

Pluses - A very nice breakfast buffet. One morning they had someone making omelets and waffles. Other mornings there were hot and cold selections available. Nicer selection than most hotels offer.

We had a nice stay and would consider staying here again, depending on the rate. This trip we found a very nice rate by going to the hotel's website and booking it ourselves.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Eswau
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed November 16, 2007

My fiance and I were celebrating his return from Iraq with a trip to the beach. His friend who's family lives here suggested the resort and after looking online for someplace nice on the beach, this seemed to be the best place available.

It's obviously a very old hotel that has been given a facelift. The staff is great, the location on the beach is great, but just don't look too close in the corners or at the ceiling or walls. Alot of stuff was overlooked with the renovations. By no means was it horrible, but it was just kinda of like they put lipstick on a pig. Just don't expect it to be luxury, it's just a quaint beach hotel that's a little weathered.

If we ever went back, I don't know where else we would stay as it seemed there were not a lot of hotel options at the beach. But if you don't mind the details, you'll have blast!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — It was old
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UofATess
Atlanta
Reviewed November 4, 2007

We have stayed at the Blockade Runner for the last seven years and have seen a real change in the facility and service. Seven years ago it was a well-maintained older hotel with fabulous grounds and exceptional service. Now it is just an older hotel, period. The rooms are small and overpriced and the service is really poor. The location is good but not good enough to offset the negatives. The service has gone down and the prices have gone up. We won't be back - ever.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!