“Nice location and large rooms, but reservations not so good and few tubs.”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Washington, DC
“Nice location and large rooms, but reservations not so good and few tubs.”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have stayed at the Blockade Runner twice and the rooms are spacious and well appointed. Both times we have had trouble with the reservations web site which averages nightly prices and is not responsive to changes. The price on the room seemed reasonable, but the reservations agent never ever mentioned that some of the rooms have tubs and some showers only. I did not think to ask because the web site description never mentions this major difference. It describes different bed sizes and views, but not this critical point, which seems increasingly to be an issue as hotels remodel and find showers cheaper and more ADA compliant. When we checked in, we were given a noisy room, near a screaming baby and asked to move. We were given a second room and neither one had a tub. And none were available because the hotel was pretty well booked. So if this matters to you, ASK IN ADVANCE. The breakfast was included in the price and was so so in terms of quality and convenient. They are located on the beach but charge to rent beach chairs. That seems a bit chintzy.

Room Tip: Be very specific in talking to reservations and ask them to break out the price per night. They tal...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Pretty nice hotel for the price that we paid. The free breakfast was good - food tasty and definitely straight off the pan because the hotel was packed. I found in a little odd that the room flooring was tiled but it didn't make a difference to my stay. The bathrooms are very nicely appointed and our dinner buffet there was excellent! Would definitely go again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AmusedAdventure
Asheville, North Carolina, Usa
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Although we were a small group of approximately 12-14 people, the staff @ the Blockade Runner were very accomodating and attentive to our every need. The food was superb and the service in the restaurant matched the food! For a beach get away it is tops!

Room Tip: Ocean front are great for the views with balconies...a bit more expensive, however. Marina side did...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank virg041
Kinston, North Carolina
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a wonderful time. When we checked in we had a view over the pool which was nice, but we called and requested to change to have an oceanfront. The front desk was very accommodating and had staff to meet us at the new room. The stay included breakfast and we were able to enjoy a full breakfast and we dined outside in a covered, yet open area. It was a nice resort and I hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Monique H
Anchorage
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We took a detour from Raleigh when were traveling for a convention. We got to the hotel pretty late and just walked in to see if a room was available. They booked our room at the online rate we saw, and they did it fast! Staff was friendly from the valet to the desk to the wait staff. The included breakfast was wonderful with plenty of cooked and fresh food. The grounds are well maintained. The location is amazing! We went to sleep with the sounds of the waves and woke to a beautiful sunrise. Went for a run on the beach, but got distracted by the amazing shells I found. The whole experience was perfect, and well worth the drive from Raleigh, even for just one day!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlaskaSunSeeker
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have never written a review of anything before, but felt so strongly about this hotel I had to do something. I booked a block of rooms here for my wedding. HUGE mistake. The rooms were not ready when the guests checked in. Once guests finally were settled in their rooms the hotel requested that several of them including the groom move to different rooms. They did not give me the Bridal suite that was promised to me in the contract, putting me in a different suite instead. They did not respond to service requests for ice and other items. I found cockroaches and dirty glasses in my room. The temperature control in the room did not work, there were apparently two settings frigid and off. But all of that pales in comparison to the way the staff treated me and my wedding guests. The lady that we had booked the rooms with, Particia, actually called my mother the day before the wedding to berate her and to tell her that our guests (paying customers of the hotel) could not use the hotel access to get to the beach where the ceremony was being held, all because we were not having our reception at the hotel (i.e., they weren't making an additional profit beyond the 34 rooms we booked). When I spoke to the manager and explained to him that every guest of the hotel uses that access to get to the beach and ours would too, he was less than obliging. I should mention that all of the details about the wedding were made known to the hotel when we signed the contract for the block of rooms, and the hotel made no mention of any concerns at that time. The staff or "Blockade Runner Police" as I now refer to them, harassed each of our vendors as they arrived on site, often before they even had a chance to park their cars. In short, the staff of this hotel were extremely rude and seem to lack a fundamental understanding of how businesses work. They did everything in their power to ruin my wedding, so brides beware!!! DO NOT choose this hotel for your wedding.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank KDeM13
Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I loved my stay at the Blockade Runner. We had a lovely dinner on Friday evening sitting outside at their restaurant. There was a vegan item on the menu which is much appreciated.
The next morning we took advantage of their yoga class out on the lawn by the ocean. The garden plantings were really beautiful and we felt that we were in a special place
I had been to this hotel many years ago and the renovation is very nice. I think the bathroom window where you would expect a mirror was a little strange but the shower was great which is more important. I think the beach chairs and umbrellas should be part of the price which is not cheap but overall it was just wonderful . Oh and the breakfast was really good and included.

Room Tip: The terrace room on the ocean is worth the extra money.It has a table and chairs and a lounge chair.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington/Mayfaire

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!