“Nice Resort”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had a wonderful time. When we checked in we had a view over the pool which was nice, but we called and requested to change to have an oceanfront. The front desk was very accommodating and had staff to meet us at the new room. The stay included breakfast and we were able to enjoy a full breakfast and we dined outside in a covered, yet open area. It was a nice resort and I hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Monique H
There are newer reviews for Blockade Runner Beach Resort

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We took a detour from Raleigh when were traveling for a convention. We got to the hotel pretty late and just walked in to see if a room was available. They booked our room at the online rate we saw, and they did it fast! Staff was friendly from the valet to the desk to the wait staff. The included breakfast was wonderful with plenty of cooked and fresh food. The grounds are well maintained. The location is amazing! We went to sleep with the sounds of the waves and woke to a beautiful sunrise. Went for a run on the beach, but got distracted by the amazing shells I found. The whole experience was perfect, and well worth the drive from Raleigh, even for just one day!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlaskaSunSeeker
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have never written a review of anything before, but felt so strongly about this hotel I had to do something. I booked a block of rooms here for my wedding. HUGE mistake. The rooms were not ready when the guests checked in. Once guests finally were settled in their rooms the hotel requested that several of them including the groom move to different rooms. They did not give me the Bridal suite that was promised to me in the contract, putting me in a different suite instead. They did not respond to service requests for ice and other items. I found cockroaches and dirty glasses in my room. The temperature control in the room did not work, there were apparently two settings frigid and off. But all of that pales in comparison to the way the staff treated me and my wedding guests. The lady that we had booked the rooms with, Particia, actually called my mother the day before the wedding to berate her and to tell her that our guests (paying customers of the hotel) could not use the hotel access to get to the beach where the ceremony was being held, all because we were not having our reception at the hotel (i.e., they weren't making an additional profit beyond the 34 rooms we booked). When I spoke to the manager and explained to him that every guest of the hotel uses that access to get to the beach and ours would too, he was less than obliging. I should mention that all of the details about the wedding were made known to the hotel when we signed the contract for the block of rooms, and the hotel made no mention of any concerns at that time. The staff or "Blockade Runner Police" as I now refer to them, harassed each of our vendors as they arrived on site, often before they even had a chance to park their cars. In short, the staff of this hotel were extremely rude and seem to lack a fundamental understanding of how businesses work. They did everything in their power to ruin my wedding, so brides beware!!! DO NOT choose this hotel for your wedding.

10  Thank KDeM13
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I loved my stay at the Blockade Runner. We had a lovely dinner on Friday evening sitting outside at their restaurant. There was a vegan item on the menu which is much appreciated.
The next morning we took advantage of their yoga class out on the lawn by the ocean. The garden plantings were really beautiful and we felt that we were in a special place
I had been to this hotel many years ago and the renovation is very nice. I think the bathroom window where you would expect a mirror was a little strange but the shower was great which is more important. I think the beach chairs and umbrellas should be part of the price which is not cheap but overall it was just wonderful . Oh and the breakfast was really good and included.

Room Tip: The terrace room on the ocean is worth the extra money.It has a table and chairs and a lounge chair.
1  Thank pegbach
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My first visit to the Blockade Runner Resort was in the summer of 1973 and have enjoyed visiting off and on for the last 40 years.My latest visit once again was wonderful in every way,with much gratitude going to front end manager Andi Cornelius who's commitment to excellence is evident and love of the hotel is contagious to all that visit! From the meticulously maintained grounds, and immaculate poolside and patio,to the exceptional staff that is genuinely pleasant and ready to fulfill your every need. Oceanside and soundside beauty abound at every turn.The entire hotel is exquisitely decorated with keen attention to detail, contemporary and chic while staying true to the "Grand Dame's" mid-century modern roots. They will be celebrating their 50th anniversary in the upcoming year! Stop by the gift shop for unique fashion and locally made one of a kind gifts! They also support local artists! Do yourself a favor and do not miss this coastal paradise between the sound and the sea!

1  Thank MaryMarg808
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stunning ocean views make this a wonderful place to relax, enjoy the cabana bar by the pool, or just hang out on your balcony. The dining room is spacious, also on the ocean side and has patio tables. I took a yoga class on the lawn overlooking the ocean, aah. The food is fresh and ambitious but I found the chef a bit heavy handed with the garlic and herbs. Even so, the food was well prepared and service was also good. Wrightsville is just a short drive from WIlmington, a historic city on the Cape Fear river with much to do and see. Or drive a little further and take the ferry over to Southport.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jodad
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We have been visiting WB annually for 35+ years and have never looked twice at this hotel - mainly because of the exterior facade. Needless to say, we were shocked when we walked into the lobby - it is a great little oasis on a great beach. The lobby, pool area, gardens and beach are lovely. We arrived before check-in and our room was not ready, but they took a cell number and promised to call when it was ready. They called slightly before check-in time and by the time we made it to the front desk, our keys were ready and we were off to the room - great service. We opted for a room with a private balcony and I am very glad we did. The main building has 'juliette' balconies that really aren't balconies at all...but rather a balcony facade in front of sliding doors - no room to sit/stand. Our room was on the top floor of the other building and offered a large balcony with a chaise lounge and high-top seating. It was a perfect spot to enjoy the sunrise over coffee (Keurig in the room) or take an afternoon nap. I would highly suggest you pay the extra amount for a private balcony. The pool area was nice, clean and offered abundant seating. The beach chair/umbrella rental was as expected and the attendant made sure we had everything we needed. The complimentary valet was a plus and everyone we encountered was pleasant and eager to assist. The 'free' breakfast buffet was very good with multiple cold/hot selections. We dined at East for dinner on Saturday night and the food and presentation were very good although there are better restaurants on the island for the price. Room was nicely appointed and the beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was small and the pocket door was odd, but it didn't detract from the flow or usability. Although we typically stay on the north end of the island for our annual, longer trips, we would definitely return to this hotel for future long weekends.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a private balcony! Do not wait until the end of the morning buffet time (9...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!