“A Perfect Wedding Site!”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Reviewed June 21, 2012

My daughter who resides in Wilmington, NC, wanted to be married near the Ocean. She looked at several places and fell in love with the Blockade Runner and about a year ago booked reservations with them as the site of her wedding. There were a lot of unknowns to us as we don't plan weddings everyday (actually this is our first!). The wedding coordinator assured us that all will go well and that she would personally see to it that it ran smoothly. A few months before the wedding was to take place my daughter learned that she had retired! We were a little skeptical about this until we met Whitney the new wedding coordinator. Whitney was wonderful and during the days before the wedding she and my daughter went over details, the rehearsal, the interface between the photographer, florist, baker, etc. The day of the wedding was well organized, and each component interfaced smoothly. Whitney took the pressure off and the hotel staff was gracious and always on hand to answer a question, provide a service, make a phone call, call a cab, etc. Our rooms were immaculate and comfortable. The restaurant was a true gem providing a menu with many seafood specialties. I chose the Local NC Flounder which came crispily browned over a mound of rice. It had a tangy lemon flavor which complimented the tender fish. It was a generous portion but was so good I could have eaten another one (though I would have had a difficult time getting out of my chair). In the morning we were greeted by a complimentary breakfast which was really a breakfast smorgasbord of eggs, pancakes, sausages, bacon, grits, cereals, yogurts, fruits, and a Mexican burrito made with eggs and sauce. Waiters brought orange juice and pots of freshly made steaming coffee. We stayed three days and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would go back again for a vacation there.

Room Tip: We stayed on the harbor side which has a charm of its own. It is less expensive but you see water...
2  Thank Bevi22

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I wanted to find a nice place to spend the weekend and she suggested Blockade Runner. She had stayed there before, but this was my first visit. It was a fantastic idea. The staff treated us like royalty and made our stay that much more enjoyable. The large spacious room was clean and refreshing after a hot day on the beach. I especially liked the service we received while on the beach (drinks/food). Can't find that anywhere these days. Everyone greeted us with a smile. The included breakfast was the best I've seen. I will definitely recommend this hotel to my friends and family and will be visiting them again...soon.

Room Tip: Save some money and choose a room facing the Intracoastal Waterway. Watch the boats.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gpnlsn
Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband and two kids stayed at the Blockade Runner for two nights in June. We were impressed with the updates they have made. The common areas were nicely updated and very clean. The rooms were clean, beds were very comfortable and bathrooms were nicely arranged. I found that most of the staff went out of their way to help you with the exception of the conceirge who seemed rather rude when I asked her if there was a business center. There was no business center and the hotel could use one. I tried several times to get connected to the internet through the hotel free wifi on my Kindle but no luck. Other than that it was a terrific stay. Plenty of hotel pool towels, the beach was beautiful and we enjoyed the drinks at the beach bar. We had dinner in the restaurant at the hotel and the food and service were top notch. We will be back again. One more suggestion I would make would be to have the complimentary breakfast hours extend to around 10:30 instead of ending at 9:30.

2  Thank kms37
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've been several more times since my last review and I still have to give them a 5* review! Hubby and I went in January with another couple to celebrate hubby's birthday. Of course it helped that the weather was BEAUTIFUL (nice golfing day!) but beyond that the staff was most excellent as always! The hotel was full (very large group was there) and bustling especially for January :) We were checked in with smiles and welcomes and were able to check in early. In our room we found a wonderful welcome from the staff (Champagne, chocoloate covered strawberries and fresh flowers!) wishing my hubby a Happy Birthday and welcoming us back! The Valet guys drove us to and from dinner both nights and were just awesome! (it's a nice touch especially if you are celebrating and don't want to drink and drive) We over induldged on the huge breakfast buffet and on snacks in the bar later. We especially love the seafood nachos and the guac!
A couple of months later my kids and I went down for an impromptu visit b/c the weather was so nice. Again, wonderful service and we thoroughly enjoyed dinner outside at East - Chef Mark did a fabulous job on steak and crab cakes (all crab, no filler!). We got our fill of sun, sea and sand and were looking forward to our next visit. Which was Memorial Day weekend. Again, a full house and all hands were on deck to serve the guest! Lunch at the Tiki Bar was delicious (burgers and fresh flounder filets!) and the service excellent - especially with so many people! Wow - the staff worked extra hard! Lots of activities on the lawn (and inside in the a/c - arts and crafts was moved in there and it was really nice) for all to enjoy. and we always sleep so well here. The beds are very comfy! I appreciate that they don't have those "polyester bedspreads" that all the other hotels have - ewww! I always take ours off the bed upon arrival. (BR provides blankets in the closet but we've never needed them) While the BR might not be brand new they certainly do a great job of "remodeling" every year or so - it's a hotel at the beach people - humidity is an issue. I've stayed at just about all the hotels on Wrightsville Beach and NONE compare to the Blockade Runner for the location (you can walk to restaurants, shopping, etc...), the beautiful breath-taking grounds, the service and the SIZE of the rooms. They are much larger than any other on the beach. The family that owns the BR is always on site and responds well to recommendations or complaints. They've instilled the same their staff. My recommendation is: Sit back and enjoy your stay, you'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: Rooms oceanside are very nice b/c of the view, but a room oceanside provides the most beautiful suns...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ncitalian4
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Old hotel that has a modern facelift - great beach location, great outdoor space. Pretty pricey for what you get but not a huge selection of hotels on the beach...Thin walls

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Emily H
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I've lived here in NC for 15 years and go to the beach at least once or twice a year. For some reason, I'd not stayed at Blockade Runner until last week. I took my 9- and 8-year-old granddaughters and my youngest daughter and her friend (both 15). Roomy, updated, very clean. Pool, hottub, sauna, and of course the beach. The activities offered to the little girls were perfect. Kayaking across the street. We never had to leave the hotel for anything. Highly recommend this hotel.

2  Thank ncwriter2
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I am a travel agent and just stayed at the BR. Those looking at the pretty pictures on the internet should beware - it's not all what it seems. Reality, it's an old beach hotel that has had a little bit of cosmetic (modern) surgery. It is highly overpriced, but that might possibly be the market. And in fairness to them, there is not a lot of choices at Wrightsville Beach.
BREAKFAST - this is included in your price and it's there at $25/person. So a family of four pays $100. At best it is a mediocre buffet, which should be closer to $12. We had dinner there as well and it was better, not great, but much better.
FACILITIES - everything is hard - the beds are hard (3 nights of bad sleep), the pool furniture is hard. I mentioned at the beginning that it is an old hotel - the elevators are old, the HVAC units are old (and very noisy). It's very obvious what has had lipstick put on it.
SERVICE - They did do a good job with this. The staff was very friendly and they hire very cute yound folks.
VALUE - I felt that I paid twice the value

So, beware (and/or set your expectations extremely low)
John Tabor

Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!