We stayed in a Deluxe Atlantic Ocean Terrace updated room on the fourth floor. Our very spacious oceanfront room had two comfortable queen beds, desk, dresser with large TV, round table with two comfortable chairs and one footstool. Tile floors—a plus in my book—gave the room a clean, airy feel. Nice linens and plenty of pillows. Very effective blackout curtains. Refrigerator, coffee pot and ironing board. Great lighting.
The bathroom was on the small side but beautifully done in granite. Plenty of towels. Hair dryer. Magnifying mirror. Pleasantly-scented bath products. Never ran out of hot water. The room and bathroom both were both immaculate.
Our private balcony with a great view had two seats—one chair and one lounger. The rail was low enough to see over while seated in the chair—which I appreciated. However, I would make sure that inebriated people stayed off the balcony.
The resort is older and this is a plus and a minus. A few things might be dated to some, but I really like the retro feel of it all and that is one of the primary reasons I go back to it. Sometimes newer is not always better. It is important for the Blockade Runner to keep up with updates, though. And, yes, the pool is smaller but it was still pleasant. It was never packed when we were there and that was a holiday weekend. There were plenty of chairs and tables and very comfortable lounging chairs to sit in.
People with children and teens will appreciate the exceptionally large, well-kept lawn areas. People played croquet, badminton, soccer and tossed footballs back and forth. Toddlers also enjoyed running back and forth. Lot of fun to people watch there.
One of the other things I really liked about the Blockade Runner was the easy access to both the beach and the sound. I could walk on the boardwalk to the lifeguarded beach. A volleyball net was available. Chairs and umbrellas were available for rental. I did not use those so I cannot comment on those.
I could also walk just across the street to the sound. They had a grassy area with Adirondack chairs and small tables. There was also a small sandy area and a dock. The sound is shallow there and we saw a couple of families with toddlers there. Just lovely. Perfect place to watch the sunset.
We rented paddleboards for one hour and kayaks for two hours from the people that contract with Blockade Runner. They were flexible and helpful. We had a great time and I would recommend that. I do wish they would make the kayaks available at sunset, though.
We never ate inside the whole time we were there—we always ate outside. Loved that! The food was good. My seafood was always well prepared and I am picky about my seafood. Service was excellent.
One thing to know about the Blockade Runner—and this will be a plus for some and minus for others—is that it is very well lit outside by big floodlights at the top of the buildings. The light extends to the beach. This is definitely a plus for people with low-vision and a plus for parents who worry about their teens staying safe.
A couple of suggestions for the Blockade Runner:
1. Put a power strip in each room. With four of us in the room we did not have enough outlets to charge everything.
2. Hmm…really, do something with the Ocean Terrace hallway. A dark red runner and bright white walls do not work.
3. Brighten up the elevator. It’s small, it’s slow—and I can deal with that—but the dark brown color puts everything right over the top.
3. The wristbands. Half the guests were wearing them and half were not. No one was checking them that I could tell. Are they really necessary?
4. You might want to consider putting some kind of low-level lighting on the stairs down to the beach and make this area truly low-vision friendly—especially since everything else is so well lit up.
I really enjoyed the Blockade Runner and would recommend it to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Blockade Runner is uniquely located on Wrightsville Beach Island, North Carolina’s accessible outer-bank. On the east side, the resort fronts the Atlantic Ocean with a wide sandy beach while the west side fronts an Intracoastal Waterway harbor and anchorage. The resort offers the most complete water related activities possible. Our famous Blockade Runner full service breakfast is included for all guest including groups (not applicable to cottage groups). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Blockade Runner Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blockade Runner Wrightsville Beach
- Blockade Runner Hotel Wrightsville Beach