“A Classic”

Blockade Runner Beach Resort
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed in a Deluxe Atlantic Ocean Terrace updated room on the fourth floor. Our very spacious oceanfront room had two comfortable queen beds, desk, dresser with large TV, round table with two comfortable chairs and one footstool. Tile floors—a plus in my book—gave the room a clean, airy feel. Nice linens and plenty of pillows. Very effective blackout curtains. Refrigerator, coffee pot and ironing board. Great lighting.

The bathroom was on the small side but beautifully done in granite. Plenty of towels. Hair dryer. Magnifying mirror. Pleasantly-scented bath products. Never ran out of hot water. The room and bathroom both were both immaculate.

Our private balcony with a great view had two seats—one chair and one lounger. The rail was low enough to see over while seated in the chair—which I appreciated. However, I would make sure that inebriated people stayed off the balcony.

The resort is older and this is a plus and a minus. A few things might be dated to some, but I really like the retro feel of it all and that is one of the primary reasons I go back to it. Sometimes newer is not always better. It is important for the Blockade Runner to keep up with updates, though. And, yes, the pool is smaller but it was still pleasant. It was never packed when we were there and that was a holiday weekend. There were plenty of chairs and tables and very comfortable lounging chairs to sit in.

People with children and teens will appreciate the exceptionally large, well-kept lawn areas. People played croquet, badminton, soccer and tossed footballs back and forth. Toddlers also enjoyed running back and forth. Lot of fun to people watch there.

One of the other things I really liked about the Blockade Runner was the easy access to both the beach and the sound. I could walk on the boardwalk to the lifeguarded beach. A volleyball net was available. Chairs and umbrellas were available for rental. I did not use those so I cannot comment on those.

I could also walk just across the street to the sound. They had a grassy area with Adirondack chairs and small tables. There was also a small sandy area and a dock. The sound is shallow there and we saw a couple of families with toddlers there. Just lovely. Perfect place to watch the sunset.

We rented paddleboards for one hour and kayaks for two hours from the people that contract with Blockade Runner. They were flexible and helpful. We had a great time and I would recommend that. I do wish they would make the kayaks available at sunset, though.

We never ate inside the whole time we were there—we always ate outside. Loved that! The food was good. My seafood was always well prepared and I am picky about my seafood. Service was excellent.

One thing to know about the Blockade Runner—and this will be a plus for some and minus for others—is that it is very well lit outside by big floodlights at the top of the buildings. The light extends to the beach. This is definitely a plus for people with low-vision and a plus for parents who worry about their teens staying safe.

A couple of suggestions for the Blockade Runner:

1. Put a power strip in each room. With four of us in the room we did not have enough outlets to charge everything.
2. Hmm…really, do something with the Ocean Terrace hallway. A dark red runner and bright white walls do not work.
3. Brighten up the elevator. It’s small, it’s slow—and I can deal with that—but the dark brown color puts everything right over the top.
3. The wristbands. Half the guests were wearing them and half were not. No one was checking them that I could tell. Are they really necessary?
4. You might want to consider putting some kind of low-level lighting on the stairs down to the beach and make this area truly low-vision friendly—especially since everything else is so well lit up.

I really enjoyed the Blockade Runner and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank Ways2go
There are newer reviews for Blockade Runner Beach Resort

Reviewed September 4, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Blockade Runner in Wrightsville Beach for labor day weekend. We stayed here back in 2006, and the hotel has definitely seen it's fair share of updates since then. The main lobby, and the rooms in the main building have been updated and are definitely more appealing.
The biggest "pro" to staying at the Blockade Runner is that you're right on the beach. No one likes dealing with the hassle of trying to park and walk to the beach, and pay the meter, etc... So being right on the beach is a definite plus. Also, they include a free breakfast buffet, which does not skimp on selection. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, french toast, fruit, cereal, etc... It's nice having that included, however you've got to eat before 9:30am or you'll have to pay the a la carte price, which is not cheap.
The pool is nice, but it feels a tad undersized for the amount of guests staying in the hotel. They do have a great hot tub and fitness center as well.
The "cons" of the hotel start with the bedroom. The bed in our room was simply far too stiff. Both my wife and I like a softer bed, and we literally got 2-3 hours of sleep each night because the bed was very uncomfortable. The shower had very little water pressure, and the room in general just felt average.
Parking is a bit of a problem if you plan on staying out later than 8pm. The parking lot tends to fill up rather quickly and if you can't find a spot, your forced to have your car valeted.
Another con is the beach chair rental. $10 for a chair, $15 for an umbrella. Hello! I'm staying at your hotel, and your charging me extra to sit on a chair on the beach? That's no way to do business as far as I'm concerned.
Overall, we had a nice stay, but it definitely could have been better. I think the Blockade Runner is a bit overpriced for the experience you get, and there's no way to ensure yourself an Ocean view room. I think if the hotel made a few improvements, they could get full marks.

Room Tip: Book on expedia. They seem to be cheaper than the hotel itself.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jrobba
Reviewed September 4, 2011

My husband and I went to Blockade Runner at the invitation of another couple who has stayed there a couple of times in the last few years. I personally was hesitant, because I remember the hotel from when I was a little girl (50 years ago?) and knew it had changed almost none from the street view. I had never stayed there, but was worried about it being dated. However we went for 3 nights and stayed in the best rooms available - ocean front, king bed, with balcony. These rooms were refurbished in 2007. We were pleasantly surprised! Beds are top of the line, the grounds and view to the ocean are a little like Hawaii (just smaller) pool area is lovely, and the included breakfast was great. Wish the bathroom were larger and had 2nd sink, but all things considered we had a great stay. Staff is very "clean cut" and personable. Hotel also provides free shuttle to local restaurants, so we could have some wine and not stress about driving. Will go back!

Room Tip: The largest rooms are ocean front with balcony (not the juliette style rooms)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had my daughter's Bridal Luncheon @ the Blockade Runner Beach Resort in Wrightsville Beach NC. . What a great time we had. Food was super.... started with a mimosa, fresh fruit, salad with grilled chicken on top, and all the trimmings. rolls and butter and the best was the sorbet. The coordinator Carol was very accomodating. All the Bride's maids had a super time.

So if your looking for a beachy place to have a great experience to add to a wedding I would highly recommend the Blockade Runner. The landscaping by the ocean is a perfect place to take some great pictures.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I've stayed at Blockade runner a number of times over the years. Their location is perfect. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and the hotel is beautifully decorated. The staff are polite, friendly and efficient. In fact, they are among the best I've seen, even when compared to much more expensive hotels.

The food service staff are all great. The items on the breakfast and lunch menus are good. Dinner at the main restaurant is pretty good but not great. There are excellent restaurants close by though. I suggest exploring them when you stay at Blockade runner.

The only other negative I can think of is the beach chairs. They charge for renting them, which I find annoying. Rooms are expensive here. Why nickle-and-dime?

Still, it's a great place so I keep going back year after year.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We loved it as much as the last time but forgot how cold the lobby was. Although we requested early maid service, they didn't get it done until after 1pm on the first day. After we called, it was done earlier. Sitting on the patio felt like being in the Carribbean.

Found it noisier during the night. Felt like there could have been more insulation between rooms.

Did not like the costly added charges for the beach chairs and umbrellas. If we had known, we would have brought our own! The food/drinks at the pool bar were also exhorbitant.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

This family vacation was scheduled around an event at Wrightsville Beach for children who have Autism. Children with Autism can present a challenge to those who are not familiar w/ the characteristics of Autism. We just want to say THANKS to the staff who demonstrated kindness and patience to our kids and helped make their trip an exciting and enjoyable experience. The staff at the Blockade Runner was extraordinary! The accommodations were very pleasant. We had a Harbor view room which allowed us to see the most beautiful sunsets. I would suggest getting a room on as high a floor as possible so you don't get glimpses of the parking lot mixed in your views. Rooms are spacious, tastefully decorated in various beach motifs and have tiled floors. The pool area is beautiful and has tropical plants and attractive, large, sturdy, poolside furniture. Reminds us of a Sandals Resort.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
SpringHill Suites Wilmington Mayfaire

Been to Blockade Runner Beach Resort? Share your experiences!