“The setting was better than the food”

Oceanic Restaurant and Grill
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
chicago
“The setting was better than the food”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have to start by saying that I am not a seafood lover, and if you are not or have people in your party that are not, rethink this restaurant. They have only 3 non seafood entrees, a steak, a chicken, and a pasta besides salads. It is a lovely setting, especially if you can get a table on the pier and our waitress was great. Half of our party said the food was great (they ordered the daily specials) and the other half were not impressed at all (bland, cold, unseasoned). The hushpuppies that they gave us on the table were a little bite of heaven. The menu had a great amount of selections, but this is definitely a seafood restaurant. There were kids at other tables that looked like they had a special menu but it was not listed on the main menu.

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Overpriced View”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

I have heard about the Oceanic for years from my husband's family so I just had to go and check it out myself. It's an institution in Wrightsville Beach but the view was about the only great thing about this place when I visited. Sat on the second floor and enjoyed the view. Very crowded and busy for dinner so get there early. Run of the mill salad and fried shrimp, overdone pasta all quite pricy. Main dish portions were so large my husband and I could have easily ordered one to share and saved the money on the overpriced second entree. Servers were attentive and friendly. Now that I've experience the Oceanic, I don't think I have to go back.

Visited June 2013
Seattle, WA
“"Exceptionally ordinary"”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We ate at this restaurant by accident, having intended to eat at Oceans Restaurant (in the Holiday Inn resort). The Oceanic is a stand-alone restaurant with pier right on Wrightsville Beach. They have a small parking lot and there is metered public parking close by, but if you are trying to get in there for brunch or on a sunny Saturday, parking may be a problem.

Like everywhere in Wrightsville, the service at Oceanic was very friendly. Our waiter did a great job but unfortunately his efforts were not backed up by inspired food from the kitchen. We had a Mediterranean pasta dish with shrimp, kalamata olives, capers, and feta that somehow managed to be tasteless yet salty and fried fish that did not rise above ordinary. There are just too many other tasty options in the area for Oceanic to be getting away with serving such average fare.

• Visited September 2013
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Beautiful spot, very good food, too bad......”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

No complaints about the restaurant, very good food, beautiful spot on the water, excellent service. Just a shame when you pay for a nice meal at a gorgeous spot and parents let their children run around like animals the entire time! Is it fair to ruin our dinner out when we work hard for our vacations and can not relax because some parents can not teach their children how to behave in a restaurant and to consider others. This is not Chucky Cheese parents!

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Great View”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Go for drinks, and maybe appetizers...the view is worth it during the day and sit outside. Otherwise, it's overpriced for the quality of food.