“Wonderful Lunch and Amazing Views”

Oceanic Oceanfront Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2012

A friend recommended this restaurant and we were not disappointed. While listening to the surf and watching the surfers, we had a delicious crab dip and then a equally wonderful lunch! Great she-crab soup, too. Yummy.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,237)

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were directed to Oceanic Grill by a salesclerk in a small store on Wrightsville Beach, asking if there was a dining establishment on the water with a view. Wow!!! This is directly on the water, and the view from upstairs is perfect. The food was very good (CrabMelt Sandwich, Wrightsville Beach Chicken Salad, and Cold Blackened Salmon Salad). The service was just right, and it was a wonderful lunch. Definitely plan to dine here!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with this place for years. Lets face it... I've had some terrible meals here in the past. I always thought it was the result of having A and B Teams in the kitchen. But with every great meal I forget the disappointing ones and go back – hoping that today will be a good day.

My biggest complaint in the past was that they couldn’t prepare a fried seafood platter. Sometimes it was more fried batter than seafood and what was served seemed to come from a bin of previously prepared food kept hot under a warming light (ugh). On those bad days, I’d save the pile of fried batter and complain. They’d give me a voucher and ask me to return another night and I’d go back. However, something good has happened to the fried seafood platter at Oceanic.

First, it only includes what appears to be local fare: flounder, shrimp and oysters. Maybe it’s not caught locally, but I’d like to think that it has – which normally means fresh. They abandoned the clam strips and squid which were normally the items that had more batter than seafood (and larger profit). And the scallops are gone. Any scallop expert knows that large scallops aren’t from the south and are brought in from somewhere. And many places in SE NC seem to make them too greasy. Maybe the skin is too smooth to hold the batter, so it slides off and appears greasy. I went there twice on this trip and each platter was perfectly cooked. Maybe for my interests, they are on a roll. It’s not really Calabash quality, but not far off. Found the Boathouse Restaurant near Bradley Creek Marina a more Calabash-style place.

I saw the previous comment on the stale-tasting flounder, but mine was fine. Maybe they still have good and bad days in the kitchen, or they use old items from the bottom of the fridge (or freezer) while they wait for a new shipment to arrive. In Europe one is always hesitant to order seafood on a Monday since the last delivery of seafood is usually on Friday night/Saturday morning. By the time Monday night rolls around, things have been hanging around awhile. Maybe it’s the same here.

Also, it seems that they pared down the menu; I recall more choices in years past. I’ve found that kitchens can only handle a reasonable number of dishes. It’s hard to do everything well and be everything to everyone. So good for you Oceanic with a less extensive and more focused menu.

All the previous comments about the view of the ocean are spot on. Two floors. Upstairs is for the quieter patrons (me) and has the best view. Try and get a window table. Downstairs is the bar scene and louder. There is also seating outside on the pier itself, but I’ve always found that too windy and not relaxing. Great place to eat and watch the sea. It’s really a unique place. Service was very good, but it has always been good. I always chat a bit to connect with the waiters and then things are fine.

Having said all these wonderful things, I do have a concern that they are trying to move away from a seafood haunt to become an upmarket place touting the non-seafood items. Each time we went the specials were non-seafood or large fish items that appeared from outside the area. Hope Oceanic doesn’t get too distracted by the non-seafood items and become a steak house with a few seafood items rather than a seafood place with alternatives for the non-seafood people. It’s not cheap now (not too expensive either), but If they go the way they appear to be going, the prices will only drift upwards.

Can’t wait to go back.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We took our family to the Oceanic to celebrate our daughter in law's birthday whlle on vacation at Ocean Isle Beach. The food was wonderful, the service was excellent, and the views from the third level were spectacular. We'll certainly be back the next time we're in the area.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

If you want a great view of the water and fairly edible food then you are safe to go to the Oceanic. It is not gourmet or healthy or great but it is good and will fill you up. Food prices are a little high but you will not get a better dinner or lunch view. The drink prices are more reasonable than the food. If you want quiet then ask to sit upstairs. The downstairs dining does not have great views and it is close to noisy bar. If you want to have fun you can eat in the bar with ocean views. But go up stairs for the romantic meal and ask for the seats next to the windows. Their seafood gumbo is actually very good and spicy. I had a single crab cake at dinner for $13 versus the full 2 crab cakes for $27 and they are mostly meat with little to no filling. My husband had the friend flounder and it was very good and tasted fresh.