“Fantasy Island”

Coastal Sailing Adventure in Wrightsville Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed May 28, 2013

As a native of Wrightsvile Beach, I have nothing but fond memories of a time when things were so much simpler. A beach where most homes were for summer occupancy only, Newell's had lights that stayed on after dark. The Crest actually showed movies and the Wit's End had a great hamburger. I even worked at a huge leftover from the Charleston dance days, the Lumina. Most times everyone knew who was supposed to be there and outsiders were welcomed, if even a little intimidated by our protectionism.. Now the homes have been sold, the Lumina long ago torn down in favor of condominiums. The Crest is a spa and Newell's now an upscale tourist trap, rivals any national monument in Washington DC as to nighttime lighting.The protectionism still exists, but not by families, from Wrightsville Beach of generations past, but by a new, upscale, new wealth type, akin to what I think they call HOA group, but a group firmly in charge that wants records of everyone, anyone who visits. I can't imagine paying $2/hr to park, just to see the ocean. It would be nice to return to days past, but those days are gone for Wrightsville Beach for those of us who remember long ago

7  Thank Harry P

Reviewed May 28, 2013

After a while, many beaches look the same. Same ocean, same boardwalk shops, same warm weather. The important part, then, can be the available amenities. Wrightsville is a decent beach-- there is a long street right off the beach with a variety of dining options (from a quick snack to a full dining experience) but you'll have to go out of your way to find a good public restroom. So come prepared and scout out your location before committing to it for the day. And come early-- parking, particularly on a weekend, can be hard to come by. Planning in advance is a necessity.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Beware of shopping areas where they have automated parking Kiosks to pay for your parking spot. I just had to pay a $55.00 parking ticket for a weekday stop at one of the local merchants!
My fault of course, I didn't know how long I was going to be there, but $55.00???
If you are a Merchant in Wrightsville Beach and you are reading this, you should talk to your Mayor and city managers about this abusive situation. You are chasing business away from your beach. I for one will not be back anytime soon for a day trip or weekend trip... Too many other nice beaches to visit with free / less abusive parking policies.

I am a native North Carolinian from Charlotte and am on the coast a lot for business. I have stayed in Wrightsville beach previously during my business trips, but I think I will stay in Wilmington from now on. I feel bad for the merchants that are having their customers chased away, but it is what it is until someone stands up to the city and says enough!

2  Thank Scott C
Reviewed May 26, 2013

the water is beautiful 99% of the time, beautiful beach but with the parking situation, crappy food venues on the island and too many beach rules and a sense that the locals do not care for visitors it is not the best of beaches. Now they are going to take pics of all lic. plates of vehicles going over the bridge to the island

1  Thank beachgal645
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Nice sand and very well kept. Some of the best shelling I have ever experienced on the end near the channel.