“WB Surf Camp”
Review of WB Surf Camp

WB Surf Camp
Ranked #1 of 22 Tours in Wrightsville Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: WB Surf Camp facilitates safe and exciting learn-to-surf adventures for kids, teens, and adults. Choose from day and overnight camps, lessons, family programs, and women's only yoga surf retreats. No experience is required as they cater to beginners. Come learn the incredible sport of surfing from their team of professional instructors and have an experience you will never forget!
Belmont, Michigan
“WB Surf Camp”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I could say a favorite memory of surf camp, but this is actually not a memory at all. A memory would mean it is something I’ve lived in the past then recalled in the future, when in fact, my favorite experience of surf camp has lived with me every day since, and will continue to, in the future. I went to surf camp to learn how to shred but I left with so much more. The camp opened my eyes to a new way of living. From waking up at dawn to catch the glassiest waves, to putting on zinc not only to protect our faces but to establish ourselves as warriors of the waves, with tribal markings on our cheeks. We became determined and passionate towards protecting the ocean by doing beach clean ups and visiting sea turtle hospitals. I evolved from a mere student to a club member; a part of a bizarre and vibrant surf sub-culture, full of passion towards the ocean, its waves, and its inhabitants. This is not my favorite memory of camp, but my favorite influence on how I want to live my life.

Sam
Belmont, MI

Visited June 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Father-Daughter Fun in the Sun”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Here's my review which helps those who prefer either testimonials and/or concise feedback (scroll below for the bullet-point version).

The sentimental version:

Woooosh! Gurgle, gurgle. HEAD CAAAAGEE!!! Finally, I surfaced for an enormous gulp of beloved oxygen. As I stood bent over to catch my breath, I reasoned that, “my foam-plastic companion might be on a leash, but this long board is no puppy.” Alas, another wipeout on attempt number … well, I don’t know if I can count that high. A year earlier, I basked in the glory of my beginner ‘mastery’ of the churning Atlantic. Chris was my instructor; and he launched me off on 3 successful stands atop my board as the waves grew ever tumultuous on that overcast, rainy September day. But this time was different. The weather conditions were pleasant, and “Meg” would be the instructor for me and my fantastic, 49 year-old Dad. As he neared 50, I convinced him to join me on a lesson during this particular beach trip. Surprisingly, age-crisis has its benefits, so I didn’t need to resort to extreme persuasive measures. I was glad that he would have the opportunity to take on the waves for the first time.

Time after time, we set off into the ocean Surfer Shuffling to brave the waves and test the limits of our upper body strength. As I wobbled and wheezed from exhaustion, my Dad, full of energy, appeared to be 50 going on 5!! As the lesson ended, I soon discovered that the precious oxygen was a ‘frienemy’ of my first-ever jelly sting; but mostly I was joyfully proud of my Dad!

The practical version:

- I'm a complete beginner with surfing. My first lesson was actually in Santa Monica, CA with a different instruction group. By far, WB Surf Camp better prepared me for the experience. The instructors provide in-depth knowledge ranging from marine life, ocean/beach safety, and of course, the how-to of surfing! Each time I take a lesson, my skill level improves dramatically (pop-ups, paddling, etc).

- Expect to use LOTS of upper body muscles. I'm far from even calling myself 'toned,' but I do quite well out on the waves

- A small jelly sting was not as frightening as I anticipated

- A person of ANY age (with decent swimming skills) can have fun doing this

- Each time I've visited, the instructors definitely catered the lesson to the specific goals I wanted to accomplish (i.e., perfecting paddling, selecting a wave, and pop-ups).

- Even if you're a global surfer, Wrightsville is something to put on your vacation list because the NC waters are worth experiencing

Visited September 2013
1 Thank CPH4Launch
Cary, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surfing is more than a hobby; its a life style bigger than the ocean.”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

WB surf camp was much more than I expected it to be. I thought I signed up for a week long surf lesson, but what I got was a life-changing experience. From the group of campers I now call my best friends, to my newfound love for surfing and my passion for protecting the environment, camp made me realize so much about myself.
The first day of camp one of my counselors told us that when you catch your first wave you get this feeling of magnetism towards the ocean; time would stop, and you would feel like there was nothing between you and the ocean except your board. Hearing this I imagined myself catching my first wave and having it be massive. I saw myself riding the waves like a pro surfer, but like any normal human, perfection isn’t always the case. The time I caught my first wave it was cold and rainy. To be honest, I was only up for about 5 seconds before I fell off. Even though the image of me catching my first wave wasn’t exactly how it turned out, it was one of the most amazing moments of my life. My counselors were right: the moment you stand up on your board, time stops and you become one with nature.
That is the story about how I fell in love with surfing. Surfing is more than a hobby, or even a passion; it’s a lifestyle bigger than the ocean. Take it easy!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Marie R
Kimberton, Pennsylvania
“Tortola Surf Camp”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Can a 57 year old mom learn to surf? Can she do it in a tropical paradise with a Jamaican surfing champion, who also happens to be a soap opera star? Is the water on Tortola really as turquoise blue as it looks in the photos? Does drinking a Painkiller at a beach bar after a day in the water feel awesome? Yessed!

A lifelong beach bum, I always wanted to learn to surf. When my husband passed away suddenly, I decided to start living. Why not begin with surfing? I spent a week in the warm waters of North Carolina with WB Surf Camp’s Women’s Surf and Yoga Retreat. Awesome! Then, I went for the gusto and signed up for the Adult Surf Camp in Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. Even better!

Sunshine and white sand. A quite beach bordering a sparkling bay. Days spent paddling out and riding (or attempting) to ride in. A home-cooked, island-style lunch in the beach-side cafe. Drinks and laughs at the end of the day. Dinner out at a local spot every night. Repeat for seven wonderful days.

Of course, there were added bonuses. Like the fun of hanging with a Jamaican surfing and TV star who just happened to be on the beach that week. The surprised look on the face of a sea turtle as he surfaced just ahead of my board. Island time and friendly people. Roads that climbed, dipped and twisted through beautiful scenery. Coming home rashed, gashed and dead tired, yet feeling absolutely exhilarated.

A photo on my fridge is proof of my adventure. It’s me – MOM! -- standing on a surfboard just ahead of a blue-green wave. Each time I see it, I remember the fun – and appreciate the incredible experience of my week in paradise made possible by WB Surf Camp. Shaka!

Visited March 2014
“Learn to surf”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I had an awesome week in Tortola with WB surf camp! Steve and Joanna were not only great surfers but they were excellent instructors. They were so enthusiastic, supportive and encouraging. Thanks to them I was able to "pop up" and ride a few waves on my second day. I was lucky to meet Rick, the owner of WB who went over video of my surfing and pointed out ways to improve my form and stay safe.The beach at Josiah bay was beautiful and the surf was perfect for beginners.One day there were no waves so we went stand up paddling at Cane Garden Bay. A perfect vacation from start to finish! Can't wait to visit the camp in Wrightsville or go back to Tortola next year.

Visited March 2014