“Great view of the sunset!”

Wrightsville Beach Scenic Tours
Ranked #5 of 21 Tours in Wrightsville Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Wrightsville Beach Scenic Tours can help you discover the wonder and variety of nature in the Lower Cape Fear region. Guided eco-,sunset,fishing and private party charters are offered to a wide variety of habitats and ecosystems. Join us on our customized 28 foot Beach Catamaran, by sea kayak, or on foot for a unique, ecologically based, outdoor excursion.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I found a brochure for the sunset tours at the real estate company that we rented our condo from. I called and made a reservation with captain Joe. I was concerned about the weather because the radar was showing a bunch of storms and he was very nice on reassuring the possibility of rescheduling if something came up weather wise. The tour was very nice and the guides were knowledgable about the town. We learned a lot of town history that was really neat. Very friendly and easy to talk to. Would recommend if you are in the area!

1  Thank stephaniehensley

Reviewed May 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to spend a day at Masonboro Island during our recent weekend in Wilmington, but we weren't sure how to get there since it is boat access only. I came across Wrightsville Beach Scenic Tours online and emailed to reserve a spot on the 12:30pm ferry. I was worried there might not be space since it was Memorial Day weekend, and ended up calling to confirm. Captain Joe was very friendly and assured me he had a spot saved for us.

Fast forward to the weekend. We drove around for close to half an hour looking for a parking spot in Wrightsville Beach, circling many times before a car miraculously pulled out. (Note: All parking is metered, but the meters are not marked with days/hours, so we just put all our change in, probably close to $10 and it only added up to a little over 4 hours. When we came back, all of the meters were zeroed out, so we assume that parking is free on the weekends... Sigh.) At that point, I was freaking out because it was 12:45 and I had two missed calls from Captain Joe, who I had assured we would find parking by 12:30. I was certain we missed the ferry.

I needn't have worried though. Captain Joe and first mate John were super flexible and nice. They did a good job of calming me down when I called :) Turns out, they were making several, individual runs to the island instead of running a timed ferry. After I called, I had just enough time to run to the bathroom across the street before they pulled back up to the dock. It was a quick hop to the island, during which we had lovely conversation with Captain Joe and John. They dropped us off on the channel side of the island, made sure we knew how to get to the ocean side, and where to meet them for our evening pick up. Easy breezy.

My take-aways from this fantastic experience: 1) Don't worry if you're lost, late, etc. Captain Joe is very flexible and will work with you. He just wants to make sure you have a great experience. Plus, you're at the beach! It's not the time to be stressed. 2) These are the only guys for the job! This day trip exceeded all my expectations, and this pair of no-nonsense, personable sailors was just the thing to help me chill out and relax before a day on the beach.

One tip: Call, don't email. Captain John will be able to give you any information you need, provide you with options and suggestions, and he'll probably remember your name too. He's just cool like that.

3  Thank Jennifer K
Reviewed April 20, 2013

My son and I went on the smaller skiff with Captain Joe and First Mate John. John and I explored Masonboro Island for a bit while Captain Joe took my 14 yr-old son looking for birds.

Captain Joe and First Mate John were both pleasant and have a great deal of knowledge about the area. I definitely will return! Make sure you bring cash and have change for the parking meter.

2  Thank Mary Jo H
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I took the shuttle over to Masonboro and it was what I had hoped for! A cool boat ride with some histoy on the way over to the island to do some shelling. The island was very beautiful with nothing around but ocean, sand, and shells! (so bring anything else you might need) Captain Joe was very friendly! We had some rainy weather while we were and he had no problems working with us to get a new day/time that worked out better. He also called me to help me out with directions to the dock so that was very much appreciated. (It's across the street from the hotel on Waynick) You need cash to pay him and you must have $2 an hour to pay the meter for parking so bring your quarters! You need to pay for parking EVERYWHERE in Wrightsville Beach so that was kinda a bummer since we went in April when it was not very busy yet still had to pay. At least some lots had a way to pay with debit card (they are serious about the parking money there) Oh and yes I did get some great shells, coral, egg casings, and even a few sand dollars from the island! So if you like shelling it was worth it!

2  Thank Jessica F
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Captain Joe did a great time showing us around Masonboro, the waterways and teaching us about birds! He is very passionate and knowledgeable. His boat is comfortable, and the tour was convenient and fun. There are very many different tours available- something for everyone...