“Wonderful Staff Makes the Difference!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Silver Gull Motel

Silver Gull Motel
Zebulon NC
“Wonderful Staff Makes the Difference!”
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We stayed at the Silver Gull Motel overnight when we decided to celebrate the coincidence of a wonderfully warm weekend and back-to-back days off by going fishing in Wrightsville Beach last weekend. The motel had some mixed reviews from previous guests, so we didn't quite know what to expect when we got there. From the very first moment we stepped into the office to register, the folks that took care of us could not have been more helpful, pleasant or friendlier. We had an extremely comfortable room with a view of the pier and a nice balcony, a perfect little kitchenette which was nicely stocked with new-appearing pots, pans, dishes and cutlery, and pleasantly comfortable beds and pillows! The only, very small drawback was a not-well-resurfaced bathtub, but since we prefer the shower, which had plenty of hot water and water pressure, we barely noticed.

The proprietor was always ready with tips and traveller's aid, the cleaning staff were friendly and courteous, there was hot coffee, under-hotel parking that made our stay as pleasant as any we've ever had, handcarts for the luggage and a working elevator (a rarity at many of the beach spots we've been).Our only regret was that we couldn't stay there a few more days. Thanks to everyone who made our getaway weekend such a pleasure!

• Liked — The whole package, location, staff and room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Great off-season prices for getaway weekend!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank PJR-317

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Chapel Hill, NC
Reviewed April 30, 2006

Wrightsville is the most expensive beach in NC. This hotel is not. The location can't be beat. Right on the water, all of them have some ocean views, all have kitchennettes. Parking is right under the building. (Huge deal in Wrightsville...) Right next to a newly rebuilt concrete fishing pier, and within walking distance to a number of good restaurants. Don't expect the Hilton and you won't be disappointed. Good, clean rooms, with kitchens. No pool! But who wants the pool when you could not get any closer to the beach? I stay here 2 or 3 times a year. Added bonus: Some of the rooms were used for filing "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood." If you can ask for room 327. Most expensive room in the building but it is a suite with 2 sides of balconies and a private sitting room. Probably an 600 to 800 square foot room. This is the one they filmed the movie in. It was supposed to be the inside of someone's condo.

• Stayed April 2005
11 Thank Chplhill
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 1, 2006

I have been going to the Silver Gull for 20 years now with my mom, husband and 2 teenage girls. We always go around our anniversary but my mom use to take me when I was a teenager. I have always loved Wrightsville Beach since that is where my mom grew up and there are a lot of memories there. There is nothing like waking up and watching the sun come up with the waves crashing around you and the seagulls wanting that piece of bread you are eating. They come right on the balcony for it!! I have got awesome pictures I will have to find to put on here!! We usually stay on the top floor facing the strip, but last year we stayed on the ocean side, how awesome!!! You can watch your kids on the beach and still turn your chair to the strip if you want. Well, this may be the last year that my mom goes. She was diagnosed with lung cancer April 1st 2005 and she is slowly fading, but I am determined to take her back as long as God is willing. She has good and bad days and I hope that she can make this years trip so she can go to Johnny Mercer's pier and get that hotdog she always has to get when we arrive, or just me and her take that early morning walk out on the beach with a cup of coffee in one hand, and bread for the birds in the other while we gather our seashells to take home for memories.I will never stop going to this motel as my friend at the front desk has always been courteous and making sure that the coffee and the donuts were always fresh.I have no complaints other than the fact that I hate to leave and I hope you never have to close the doors. Maybe since the motel is getting old, you can rebuild again without upping the prices too much, even though that will not stop me from going. I love you guys and thanks for the memories!!

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Carrboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 27, 2005

Our family was pleased with the value we received at this hotel. Parking is below the hotel so loading and unloading was in the shade and protected from wind and rain. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Each unit is only allowed 2 parking spaces on the weekend but during the week there are ample spaces available. The hotel has NEW kitchen facilities, new microwave, new fridge and new sink. Nicely furnished kitchen but no oven. The hotel is right on the beach! Next to the pier and lots of restaurants. The beach is lovely with beautiful sand. During the summer lifeguards protect the beach and the beach patrol is very active in keeping bathers safe. The room was large and the balcony had a nice view of the ocean. The beds were comfortable. I definately will return.

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank g0christine
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2005

I went to Wrightsville Beach in April 2004 with several friends. We had made plans to stay in one hotel, but they had lost our reservations, so we ended up at the Silver Gull. The price was very good ($120 a night). The rooms are very spacious, they were clean, and the view was simply amazing. I highly recommend to fellow college kids! The building is old, and showing its age, as mentioned, but we had a blast here. I plan on returning to the Silver Gull this spring!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Johnson City, TN
Reviewed December 29, 2004

This hotel advertised kitchenettes, but when we arrived nothing in the kitchenette worked! We had to buy our own cooler to keep our groceries cold. The sink in the bathroom kept clogging, and we couldn't brush our teeth without overflowing the sink. The room was reasonably clean, the view was great, and the location was the best on Wrightsville Beach. Overrall I would say I was disappointed, but the location and view made up for it all!

• Stayed July 2004
12 Thank oleander124
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed September 15, 2004

We spent 4 nights at the Silver Gull during the 2nd week in September 04. It has a great location to the beach and a few bars and restaurants close by. The hotel was showing its age. But the main complaint I had was the place was not very clean. The carpets were stained and dirty in the hall ways as well as our room. One day while we were there our room was not cleaned. When I questioned the front desk they said the maid had to go to court and there was little they could do about it. The beach etc superb the hotel disappointing for $129 a night.

10 Thank rshaw125
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach

Been to Silver Gull Motel? Share your experiences!